Bought a Huskee 22 ton.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score

The past couple years I've been getting beat up splitting, shoulder, back and wrist hurting worse and worse. At $1000 bucks, 6 month same as cash, 0% interest, I gave it a try. I've read many times how impressed folks have been with this little machine. Saying they don't know why anyone would want a bigger machine. Well, so far I like it, but those other folks have never run a commercial machine. Back in the early 80's I had a Bliss Splitter. The builder said it took a min of 40HP to run it. I had a JD 2010 diesel and it ran it no problem. Complete apples to oranges comparison. I paid $3600 for the Bliss way back then. For the money this is just what I need now. What did impress me is how efficient I can work. With the trailer on the feed side, and the stack behind me, I can split and as the piston returns, turn around and stack. Then I can sweep up as I go. Split the Oak yesterday before work. I punch in at noon. Moved on to a pile of Hickory this morning. I found I had to put a piece of 2X6 on the foot so the wedge would go all the way through that stringy stuff. Now I've got to sell 6 cords before my 6 months are up to pay for it. Yep, I think this was a little over due, and I think I'll be happy with it, Joe.

Yup, they have their faults but for the $ the are tough to beat. I have yet to stick ours in some mighty tough splitting. Engines are suspect with many cold weather starting problems reported including mine. Luckily that is fixable, at least for the handy, carb jetting is a bit too lean probably due to EPA. regs but a couple swipes through the main jet with a tip cleaner sorted my issues. Mine is getting a Yanmar diesel when I tire of the B&S.

Congrats,

May it serve you well for a very long time.

One thing you'll need to do that's not covered in the Owner's Manual, come up with a few nice, (and maybe a few not so nice), ways of saying, "NO WAY", when friends, neighbors, and the occasional relative start asking to borrow it for the weekend.

Take Care

I started to post my engine problems, but it turned out not to be the machines fault. Cranked on it for half an hour and nothing, not a pop. Pulled the air cleaner off and a cup of water ran out of it. Pulled the fuel bowl off and it was full of water. Fuel line too. when clean gas started coming out it fire right up. Three pumps on the bulb and off she goes now. They store these things out side, and we have had some monster rain storms, every other day it seems. To have so much water in the line I wondered if the cap was left off? Anyway, all seems good now, Joe.

Congrats,

May it serve you well for a very long time.

One thing you'll need to do that's not covered in the Owner's Manual, come up with a few nice, (and maybe a few not so nice), ways of saying, "NO WAY", when friends, neighbors, and the occasional relative start asking to borrow it for the weekend.

Take Care

I already know what you mean. I let a friend borrow a home built machine I have. I don't want to make him sound like a bad guy, he actually split the cost of fixing the machine up with me. But, he ran the thing till the oil was so hot it would shoot 20 feet in the air through the vent hole, and cooked the new pump. The guy that built the splitter only put a 2 gallon oil tank on it. I also have an 8' dump trailer. I've said over and over that it was the best $3500 I've ever spent. All my friends agree, it was the best money "I" spent, they get to use it for "free". My Dad used to say "Oh well, I'd rather have you owe it to me, than cheat me out of it". So, for now anyway, if they borrow it, I come with it, Joe.

If you plan to use it in colder temps, I highly recommend replacing the engine oil with synthetic for easier starts. Also, on mine I have to hit the primer bulb a solid 10 times when starting it in the cold.

I have the same splitter from Tractor Supply and love it. The only problem I had was it sat too long with fuel in the tank and gummed the carburetor, which is my fault. If it's not stored dry I try to start it once a week. I did put a hour meter on it when I bought it for service intervals. Cheap insurance on a large investment.

Digital LCD Motorcycle ATV Snowmobile Marine Boat Yama Ski Dirt Hour Meter Gauge | eBay

Thanks for the link to the hour meter, I might get a couple of them, Joe.

I kinda figure these splitters and all they do is like a race care. Nascar teams don't go to a show room to get their race cars. They are built to Nascar's specs and safety designs. They go from $30,000 at the showroom, to $250,000 built to specs. Two different uses and much different in cost.

Splitter are much the same way. For what it is and what it does, to me the 22T is fantastic. But if more speed, log lift, table, feeder, etc is needed, then it just cost a lot more money to get what you're after.

22 ton hushy

i have the same splitter for 5 yrs now. split usually n 3 cords or so every yr. no trouble during that time. i do use marine stabil in the ethanol gas 92 octane. starts good runs good. i also don't run the wedge all the way down just ailmost. easier on the hose. good luck. i use it in the vertical position.

I made this instead of the 2X4.
attachment.php

Hi Joe,

I have the same splitter. Bought it a year ago for 949.00 and 12 months no interest. It has worked out well with no problems. It is a little slower than I would like. Also recently bought the log rack, helps, but the way it is curved causes the part of log previously split to get in the way of the half you are re-splitting. A lot of wood to split in Maryland.

bought mine back in 2000, split about 10 cords a year, never a hiccup, only serviced it once with oil, filter, plug change.

I actually want the B&S engine to die so I can swap a one-lug diesel on there....but that's another story.

Hi Joe,

I have the same splitter. Bought it a year ago for 949.00 and 12 months no interest. It has worked out well with no problems. It is a little slower than I would like. Also recently bought the log rack, helps, but the way it is curved causes the part of log previously split to get in the way of the half you are re-splitting. A lot of wood to split in Maryland.

My cousin and I are fourth generation in the tree care business. I got out of tree work and went to UPS, more vacation time:msp_smile: He still has the family business and I can get all the wood I want for free. Where in MD are you? I'm just out of Frederick, Joe.

I bought mine about 4 months ago, works pretty darn well. Put 4 cords through it, both tough and easy wood. I changed the oil today but don't really know how to drain the hydraulic fluid. Is there a manual out there? The paper work that came with the splitter didn't mention it.

My cousin and I are fourth generation in the tree care business. I got out of tree work and went to UPS, more vacation time:msp_smile: He still has the family business and I can get all the wood I want for free. Where in MD are you? I'm just out of Frederick, Joe.

Harford County-Jarrettsville Nice that you still have all the wood access. I have so much, there is hardly any room on my property. Need to cut trees to make more room. More and more is offered every day. It is hard to say no.

I bought mine about 4 months ago, works pretty darn well. Put 4 cords through it, both tough and easy wood. I changed the oil today but don't really know how to drain the hydraulic fluid. Is there a manual out there? The paper work that came with the splitter didn't mention it.

No need to drain the hydraulic fluid unless it's dirty or milky (water). If you really need to drain it, there should be a plug underneath the hydraulic reservoir.

Latest posts

Back