Bought a MONO on Craigslist, a BIG one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Found this on craigslist for 40.00, went and got it yesterday. The guy started it up, may need some carb work and a new fuel line but I could tell by the way it sounded it seemed like a big bore motor. I was correct, this thing is like 130cc 8 cube. I'm sure it is slow as #### but it is cool. Gonna be another wall hanger.

mono007.jpg

mono005.jpg

mono004.jpg

mono002.jpg

mono001.jpg

JJ, What do you know about the motors, looks like they were used for carting.

I have a old Hoffco that has the same bar on it. They are pretty cool looking. The hardened tip looks like it didn't get used much. THe bar was pretty rusty, I took a flap wheel grinder disc and a soft pad and cleaned it up.

Here is the old Hoffco.

Newherd014.jpg

Newherd013.jpg

JJ, What do you know about the motors, looks like they were used for carting.

The motor is a Power Products, AH-81, which came out in the late 50's/early 60's for karting. The earliest ones were "bushing-
bearing" motors, meaning they used a bushing on the big end of the connecting rod instead of needle rollers. Yours is
a later motor though, probably around a '62. That means it has the upgraded connecting rod and the five-port piston.
I can't tell if your Mono is an 80 or an 82.

Must be an 80, as the tag does have that stamped in it. I was thinking it was a Model 7 as it was the only one I could find with the clutch cover that said MONO like that. I'll have to look those up as well. Thanks for the info.

Where did u pick that up at because i think i have seen that before on CL or one similiar?

Ft.Wayne! In fact when I called the guy I had found out I picked up a nice Homelite in the winter from him.

jacksmufflers004.jpg

Last edited:
Haha I knew that saw looked familiar. Nice score. He originally wanted $150 for it.

It was on there for a couple weeks and it was listed as 50, I never seen it advertised for 150.00. There was a beautiful restored Homelite on there for around that.

It was on there for a couple weeks and it was listed as 50, I never seen it advertised for 150.00. There was a beautiful restored Homelite on there for around that.

Ya that was when he first posted it, ive seen that homelite too.

Ya that was when he first posted it, ive seen that homelite too.

I told him if he comes across stuff like that to give me a call and if it is interesting enough and around that price range that I would be game! He is a swap meeter, so he gets out and about.

The "Hoarder from Helmer" strikes again. Looks like that handle could hold a big ole stinger!!!!!

Latest posts

Back