Bought a new MS 361 and....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robertesq1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When I went to pick it up it was dry....they had not yet gassed or filled it with oil.

After gassing it up they had a real bear of a time starting it up.... The dealer said that it was new and the oils inside a new saw make the first start really hard and not to worry.

I noticed that it was not very easy to, despite it being warm and it stalled out at idle a few times. I ran a few tanks through it and will not use it again till next weekend. It was very powerful and I had no issues w/its performance cutting. Does this sound right or was I being given a line.

I thought that the dealer was supposed to test run it before giving it to you. Therefore there would be some oil and gas in the tanks. Maybe i am wrong? My dealer does anyway

It sounds like it could be a bit lean at the "L" side, but I am no expert......

I would have to agree Niko,,,, I would suspect a slight tweak out, Counter Clockwise on the L adjustment would be in order,,,,,

It should start very easy once warm,,, one pull!!!!!!!!

or as Gary said,,, he flooded it by missing the first POP!!!!

Last edited:
I never pull more than 3-4 times on choke with a cold saw, before trying without, and the slightest hint that it wants to start is counted as a pop.......:)

Can you explain the first pop... do you mean when the decompression tab pops out or do you mean when the engine turns over and you move off the choke slot.

Thanks for the help...

Robert

I thought that the dealer was supposed to test run it before giving it to you. Therefore there would be some oil and gas in the tanks. Maybe i am wrong? My dealer does anyway

In fairness to the dealer I was supposed to pick it up in the afternoon but showed up in the am as my scheduled had changed, so he had not had a chance to gas or fire it.

I would have to agree Niko,,,, I would suspect a slight tweak out, Counter Clockwise on the L adjustment would be in order,,,,,

It should start very easy once warm,,, one pull!!!!!!!!

or as Gary said,,, he flooded it by missing the first POP!!!!

Maybe both, the stalling on idling indicates that it is lean on the L side - I wonder how it accellerates, a properly adjusted 361 should rev up really fast!

Last edited:
Can you explain the first pop... do you mean when the decompression tab pops out or do you mean when the engine turns over and you move off the choke slot.

Thanks for the help...

Robert

The "pop" is any chug that the engine is trying to fire off. No matter how slight... it will pop the decomp off . Then you move the switch off of full choke, and it will fire in a couple more pulls.

If you pull the starter one more time with it at full choke with the decomp popped out... you will flood the saw. Seems to happen a lot on the Husqvarna 359 too... must be a 60cc saw kinda thing. :)

Gary

Mine's the same way. It seems like it's a little bit tempramental on a cold start and one too many pulls will flood it w/full choke. (more sensitive then my other Stihls but only when cold and when the tank was previously run dry)

However I haven't spent much time using it so far so it might just be me needed to get used to it.

I was reading another thread where they suggested not using the decomp valve w/full choke.

P.S. How many pulls do you all average on a cold saw that's been previously run totally dry? How many extra pulls does it take to pull the fuel from the tank and prime the carb?

Last edited:
When my 361 was stock, you couldn't hardly hear the "pop" at all. It's no wonder they're flooded so often. A muffler mod will fix that for you.

My German one have allways popped pretty obviously, as I remember it, unlike some other saws - but never trust the deco valve to tell you if a saw has popped.....

Can you explain what you mean???

He means adjust the carb.

I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and ask him to show you how to properly tune it.
I am not meaning to belittle you, but it can be a bit intimidating the first time or two, and you can burn up you're saw if adjusted improperly!!!!

There are LOTS of threads on here about adjusting a saw properly if you want to search. After reading if you feel comfortable, go for it, if you have questions, ask them. I am not trying to discourage you, just offering the easiest help you can get, a good dealer!

He means adjust the carb.

I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and ask him to show you how to properly tune it.
I am not meaning to belittle you, but it can be a bit intimidating the first time or two, and you can burn up you're saw if adjusted improperly!!!!

There are LOTS of threads on here about adjusting a saw properly if you want to search. After reading if you feel comfortable, go for it, if you have questions, ask them. I am not trying to discourage you, just offering the easiest help you can get, a good dealer!

I appreciate the help... and did not take offense.

In fairness to the dealer I was supposed to pick it up in the afternoon but showed up in the am as my scheduled had changed, so he had not had a chance to gas or fire it.

In reality though, it takes 5 minutes for the dealer to test the saw. I walked into my dealer, he had no idea I was coming, I asked for the saw, he asked what size bar I wanted, I told him and about 10-15 minutes later I walked out of there with my new MS 361, bar and chain installed, all run and tested while I waited.

I would be skeptical of a dealer that lets a new saw go out of the shop without him testing it. It seems to me he would want to so he knows there is no major problems with the saw from the factory. Seems like good customer service 101. I would consider going to another dealer if there is one local as the vibes from that one arent too good.

He filled it.....had a tough time getting it started when he had it running he checked that it was sraying/misting oil, ran the chain a little (until it stopped sparking and seemed smoother. He asked me to start it explained the compression valve (which I was unfamiliar) adjusted the winter/summer air input, checked the air filter saw that I knew how to operate a saw and I was on my way. That was pretty much consistant with my past experiences.

Not average???

Latest posts

Back