Bought a new MS 361 and....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The older Stihls are the same (starting-wise) as the new ones. At least all the 0xx series saws that I have used, compared to the newer xx0 saws. Overchoke them and they will all flood.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the older saws like my 041 and 036 will start on full choke when cold. There isn't any need to be sensitive to listen or feel it pop because they don't just pop they usually start. My Dad has an 041 that we bought him in 1977 and starting has never been an issue nor has my 0XX series saws. His new MS250, now that's another story.....................

I concur Poley, all my older Stihl saws prior to my 361 will start and run for long enough with the choke on for me to flip it off without them dying. It has taken some adjustment to starting the 361 although (knock on wood) I have not yet flooded it.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the older saws like my 041 and 036 will start on full choke when cold. There isn't any need to be sensitive to listen or feel it pop because they don't just pop they usually start. My Dad has an 041 that we bought him in 1977 and starting has never been an issue nor has my 0XX series saws. His new MS250, now that's another story.....................

I see what you mean. I would guess that the newer saws start that way becasue of EPA requirements or they are overchoked so that they start faster (or a combination of EPA and startability).

My 361 allways starts at one "halv-pull" when warm, and in the "run" position, no "fast idle" needed, which is good with the stupid Stihl switch, that needs the trigger to be pressed in to put it at fast idle.... :)

The 'stupid' lever action switch does not bother me as much as the top lever that has to be pressed down to use the throttle. I let that one get clogged with sap and stay permanently depressed... I see no value in that particular safety device.

At least the stupid lever can be gotten to with your thumb to kill the saw though. One flip up for all Stihls.

Congrats on the saw, my buddy has one likes it. His is funny about starting sometimes. I told him it need some work but he said it that way and not to worry.................

Latest posts

Back