Bought a new MS 361 and....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or the genius tryin' to start it missed the "pop" of the decomp and flooded it. Which seems to be pretty common.

Gary

I would agree, I have a 361 that is impossible for everyone (that doesn't have a 361) but me to start. Hmm...

My 361 was a little tricky at first but no problems with it now. As others have said, take it off of full choke after the first pop and you will be fine. I have also learned to "not" use the de-comp button as it seems easier to flood when using it. You'll love the saw BTW.

And restarting a warm saw, just one notch down on the switch and I don't use the deco valve. Just me! Good luck with your new ms361 you will love it I promise.:givebeer: :givebeer: :clap: :clap:

Leave the deco valve alone until it has a few hours on it. It just makes the saw harder to start as it masks the starting "pop".

I wonder what the difference is with the newer Stihls because I've heard that a lot that the "pop" is really hard to hear. My Dad's MS250 doesn't make a sound while on full choke, you just have to learn to take it off of full choke after 3 or 4 pulls. The older Stihls and my new Shindaiwa will actually start on full choke and if you react quick enough you can push the choke in and it will stay running. I know this really frustrates my Dad.

In reality though, it takes 5 minutes for the dealer to test the saw. I walked into my dealer, he had no idea I was coming, I asked for the saw, he asked what size bar I wanted, I told him and about 10-15 minutes later I walked out of there with my new MS 361, bar and chain installed, all run and tested while I waited.
QUOTE]

+1 almost exactly

And restarting a warm saw, just one notch down on the switch and I don't use the deco valve. Just me! Good luck with your new ms361 you will love it I promise.:givebeer: :givebeer: :clap: :clap:

mine starts so easy warm that i do not use the decomp either.

as far as the pop.... i don't here it so much as i just feel it. it's like the saw turns for longer than if i just pulled the cord with switch off. hard to explain. that make sence?

had absolutely no starting probs or idle probs.

I think the best thing about a deco valve in any saw big or small is the lessened strain on the starter. They should probably not be relied on for starting, but are nice for older folks (serious, not being rude) and for youngsters.

Well, to feel and hear the rolling pop when a Stihl is fully choked takes some time and experience to get used to. Also I do not pull on any Stihl saw with the choke set on full for more that 4 pulls. O/w they will flood.

Also with the 361, I do not use the decomp when starting cold with the choke on full. Once it pops, I set the lever to fast idle and pop in the decomp button. Once it is warm, I use the decomp all the time. Seems to start fine that way. Using the decomp button with the choke on full seems to flood it more.

Last edited:
He means adjust the carb.

I would suggest you take it back to the dealer and ask him to show you how to properly tune it.
I am not meaning to belittle you, but it can be a bit intimidating the first time or two, and you can burn up you're saw if adjusted improperly!!!!

There are LOTS of threads on here about adjusting a saw properly if you want to search. After reading if you feel comfortable, go for it, if you have questions, ask them. I am not trying to discourage you, just offering the easiest help you can get, a good dealer!

Yep!!!!! Good advice Andy!!!!! rep coming,,,,,

A properly adjusted saw should restart when warm with one quick pull,,,and when they do,,,, they generally start better cold as well!!!!!

I never use the decomp on my 361,,,,,

Prolly cause I took it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, to feel and hear the rolling pop when a Stihl is fully choked takes some time and experience to get used to. Also I do not pull on any Stihl saw with the choke set on full for more that 4 pulls. O/w they will flood.

But why? The older Stihls were not this way.

The older Stihls are the same (starting-wise) as the new ones. At least all the 0xx series saws that I have used, compared to the newer xx0 saws. Overchoke them and they will all flood. The trick is to be sensitive to the pop, rolling semi-start, or rumble of the saw with the choke set on full. On my 025, the saw will actually start for about 10 revs. Almost time to reset the choke lever and keep it running, but never enough. That saw does not have a gas vent like the newer ones have. On the 361, I get a 1 or 2 rev pop, and that's it. If you miss that, and pull with the choke set again, you will flood it. Once flooded they are a pain to start. May as well set them down for 20 minutes and let them air out.

Flooding while starting with a decomp button depressed is common on Stihl saws. The LA fire department put out an order to tie off the decomp buttons on all their Stihl rescue saws with zip ties so that they cannot be depressed when starting (or at any other time). I like the decomp button. I use it a lot during cutting when restarting the 361. I wish the 290 had one.

If you want a hard saw to start, try the Echo CS-3000. That thing has to be drop started one handed, while you open the throttle all the way, or it will flood. One huge feature that I like about all the Stihl saws is that they all have the same lever action, and they all pretty much start the same way.

If its hard starting or you think the carb is out of adjustment I would bring the saw back to the dealer and have him adjust it for you. Even with the link that RiverRat posted the 361 is a bit trickier to adjust by ear.

I adjust the carbs on all my saws here. I reset them to the stock setting and detune from there. I mark them with the new settings with a sharpie; like L 1-1/4, H 1, L/A 4. That is the setting for the 210 anyway, that was screwdriver muffler modded

Yeah I adjust all my saws too...but I guess he just purchased the saw so he might as well let the dealer do it. Then the liability is on the dealer and not him if something goes wrong.

Windthrown - Not a bad idea logging your carb settings for each saw.

Last edited:
The older Stihls are the same (starting-wise) as the new ones. At least all the 0xx series saws that I have used, compared to the newer xx0 saws. Overchoke them and they will all flood. The trick is to be sensitive to the pop, rolling semi-start, or rumble of the saw with the choke set on full. On my 025, the saw will actually start for about 10 revs. Almost time to reset the choke lever and keep it running, but never enough. That saw does not have a gas vent like the newer ones have. On the 361, I get a 1 or 2 rev pop, and that's it. If you miss that, and pull with the choke set again, you will flood it. Once flooded they are a pain to start. May as well set them down for 20 minutes and let them air out.

Flooding while starting with a decomp button depressed is common on Stihl saws. The LA fire department put out an order to tie off the decomp buttons on all their Stihl rescue saws with zip ties so that they cannot be depressed when starting (or at any other time). I like the decomp button. I use it a lot during cutting when restarting the 361. I wish the 290 had one.

If you want a hard saw to start, try the Echo CS-3000. That thing has to be drop started one handed, while you open the throttle all the way, or it will flood. One huge feature that I like about all the Stihl saws is that they all have the same lever action, and they all pretty much start the same way.

My 361 allways starts at one "halv-pull" when warm, and in the "run" position, no "fast idle" needed, which is good with the stupid Stihl switch, that needs the trigger to be pressed in to put it at fast idle.... :)

Latest posts

Back