Bought my new MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supercut469

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally decided on a saw and picked up my new MS 250 on Friday. First impression after dropping a 2 foot diameter maple and doing some limbing yesterday morning is that I made a great call - I do NOT need more power than this for what I cut. Was really happy the dealer had all his saws with non-safety chain. 2 year warrantee. Right now running Stihl conventional oil at 45:1 and using Stihl medium weight bar oil. Might possibly switch to walmart bar oil when my free jug of Stihl is gone but am thinking of staying with the stihl mix oil, especially since it has fuel stabilizer in it (although I don't keep gas longer than a month). Right now this is my only saw. thinking of buying a house in the next couple years and if I do I'll be heating with wood and at that point might add a bigger saw to my collection for blocking faster.

I finally decided on a saw and picked up my new MS 250 on Friday. First impression after dropping a 2 foot diameter maple and doing some limbing yesterday morning is that I made a great call - I do NOT need more power than this for what I cut. Was really happy the dealer had all his saws with non-safety chain. 2 year warrantee. Right now running Stihl conventional oil at 45:1 and using Stihl medium weight bar oil. Might possibly switch to walmart bar oil when my free jug of Stihl is gone but am thinking of staying with the stihl mix oil, especially since it has fuel stabilizer in it (although I don't keep gas longer than a month). Right now this is my only saw. thinking of buying a house in the next couple years and if I do I'll be heating with wood and at that point might add a bigger saw to my collection for blocking faster.

Welcome to the site.... And good luck with your new Stihl is should serve you just fine for what you described.... :) :cheers:

Welcome to the site.... And good luck with your new Stihl is should serve you just fine for what you described.... :) :cheers:

+1

i can already see a 3 saw plan in your furture, or maybe a 4 or 5 or...

:clap:

Congrats on the 250, If you hang around here it won't be your last one.LOL

You'll like that 250! The 025/250 is nice and light and still packs enough power. It is a favorite of mine (it is modded just a bit) for everything less than 16 inches, which is just about all the oak I cut.

I'm sure you're not keen to dig into your brand new saw, but when you feel like getting a little more power out of it, jump on EBAY (or hit your dealer up)and find a WT215, which is a fully adjustable carb (yours now has only the adjustment screw for idle mixture) from the early days of the 025. Pop it on, open up the muffler, and that little saw will come alive!

Congrats.... I think you'll be happy with it!

Congrats on the MS250

Congrats on the MS250 I have one myself and it is not all that old
like was mentioned earlier if you are here much you'll end up with more
I just added a MS460 to my list.

The MS250 will keep getting more powerful as you get it broken in
somewhere between 10-20 tanks of gas and the muffler mod is also
another option..

Not sure if I just lucked out but my carb has L , LA , and H for adjustments on the carb maybe I am just missing something though (quite possible)

at any rate these guys will keep you on the straight and narrow with your saw and mods

Not sure if I just lucked out but my carb has L , LA , and H for adjustments on the carb maybe I am just missing something though (quite possible)

at any rate these guys will keep you on the straight and narrow with your saw and mods

Interesting!! I don't know which ones did and which one's didn't. Given the increasingly restrictive EPA rules, I would have thought they'd have shown up more on the newer ones (MS250). The two older 025s I've fixed up BOTH had only the one (L) mixture screw. I think they all have the idle speed screw, which just cracks open the throttle a bit. It was not hard to find the WT215. There is a guy on EBAY who seems to have a zillion carbs for sale... he has managed to send me the wrong carbs twice now, but was completely great about correcting the error...no complaints here, stuff happens.

congrats on the new saw, new saws are always a good thing

however, on 24" hardwoods, you are missing out on a lot of fun by using such a small saw...

but unless you are the rarest of breeds, eventually CAD will get you, and then the fun really starts

:cheers:

now get out there and bust up some wood

... Not sure if I just lucked out but my carb has L , LA , and H for adjustments on the carb maybe I am just missing something though (quite possible) ...

I believe they all are fully adjustable here - but haven't looked at one for a couple of years.......

Good for you, start with a saw that works for you, takes care of your needs and doesn't break the bank, and it gives you a good starting point of reference should you add a larger saw in the future. Keeping the chain sharp all the time is the easiest way to maximize a saw's potential.:clap:

Congrats on your new saw!!!

I hope you enjoy it,,and I have to warn ya,,you stay here,you'll end up with a excuse for a bigger saw,,and a bigger one then,,and then dont wanna wear out your 250,,and buy another,,it never ends...LOL!!!

Back