Bound up sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
One of my guys was cutting out some shrubs and some how either cut into some kinda rope or a wad of monofilament fishing line. The line is all wrapped up deep in the tip of the sprocket. Sprocket wont turn. I can kinda see the stuff in there but cant grab it to pull out. I was able to get a bit of it out here n there by trying to work the sprocket back and fourth a little but basically its not coming out. Its just crazy. I just keep thinking...how in the....did he do this?? Anyway, I am wondering if soaking the bar tip in gasoline mite somehow eat away that fishing line in there? Or soften it up somehow? Man, IDK. Any ideas? This is a new one on me.

Have someone remove the sprocket for you so you can get the string out.

The threads are left hand

EDIT: I missed the fact that this is at the Bar tip on a 200T and not the sprocket at the clutch

Last edited:
I have had one bind up, but not with line- or as bad (so it sounds). I would leave the chain on, and just work the chain back and forth. You may be able to use a pair of pliars to get a better grip of the line and just keep pulling pressure. I don't believe gas will do the trick of eating away at the line, but I may be wrong.

I guess just working it back a forth and pull the stuff out a little at a time..??

Or buy a new bar and take some of the expence out of the sawyers pay..??

What the hell was he cutting that could possibly have rope or mono involved..

Sorry..just had to ask..what the hell was he cutting..?? - - nails..wire..bullets..yeah..but rope/mono..??
:cheers:
J2F

Have someone remove the sprocket for you so you can get the string out.

The threads are left hand

I've generally found if I take the time to read a post before I reply I look like an idiot less often and on average give better advice. I think Ace has broken down a saw or two, and knows the threads are left hand. Of course I've never seen threads in either direction on a bar tip sprocket.

I've generally found if I take the time to read a post before I reply I look like an idiot less often and on average give better advice. I think Ace has broken down a saw or two, and knows the threads are left hand. Of course I've never seen threads in either direction on a bar tip sprocket.

There's a sprocket at both ends of the bar usually and the OP didn't say which one, no picture either.
I'm sure the main question is how to dissolve fishing line. I doubt that's a good solution for the problem???????????

Monofilament sucks but nylons or nylon panties are even worse. They melt quickly and jam up the sprocket. I mostly have run hard nose bars in those conditions so I'm not sure what I would do with mono wrapped around a nose sprocket. Pliers or change out the sprocket I guess.

Put the bar in a vice with the tip up.
get a length of chain of the correct pitch (one that isn't looped is better) ie, a broken or unjoined chain.
work the sprocket in one direction and then the other a number of times and then fish out what pieces of line you can see with a tweezers or a precision needle nose pliers.
Once you pull out everything you can see, repeat the working of the sprocket back and forth and then again pull out the visible pieces.
Keep repeating until the sprocket is free.

Shouldn't take over about 10 minutes to get it freed up. An air hose may be useful in the process as well.

What about hitting it for a couple seconds with a propane torch? Don't know how that would fair, but filament melts real quick with fire!

Any chance of getting it to go by flipping the bar and running it opposite direction it was going when it wrapped up?

Hi All,

Been looking at this site a long time, it is GREAT. Decided to join up just now as I may be able to help with this topic.

With regard to unsticking a bound up nose sprocket, been there, done that - if it is due to a nylon type substance heat softens plastics. Dunking the end of the bar in boiling water may help but even better is dipping it in some heated peanut oil. Peanut oil can get mighty hot before it smokes and catches on fire ! When hot try working the sprocket back and forward little by little until it frees up.

I have had a Husky nose sprocket bind up solid due to wood dust. I was cutting up some very old mountain ash stumps - great firewood - and the sprocket jammed. Managed to get it free by gently whacking the exposed teeth to and fro with a hammer and drift ( an old nail ) This kept happening with that wood until I filed down the rakers a little.

Later I spoke to a neighbor who is more experienced with saws than me. He asked if I was oiling the nose sprocket, which I was. He said I shouldn't. Now I don't oil nose sprockets and haven't had binding - whether it was stopping the oiling or lowering the rakers I dunno. My $ 0.02

I did a search on what dissolves nylon and it seems that cresol and formic acid might do the trick. I don't know what the chemicals would cost or where you could get them.

Hey thanks all for the advice. I shoulda prolly mentioned the bar is for a 200t. It doesn't look like its really made to come apart. My guy was getting some of the string out by working it back n fourth on a chunk of wood. He took it home for the holiday lol. I don't plan on investing much effort into it based on what a new bar costs. I def appreciate the replies!

Probably won't work in this case but i use a ball peen hammer

I use a small ball peen when I get a nose sprocket jam, which seems to happen on my 16" .325 bar on occasion. I think it's splayed out a little on the end and it catches wood chips and jams up. I just remove the chain and bar, and tap the nose sprocket teeth until they free up. Then I give it a shot of WD-40 which seems to help wash out any crud in there. The oiler will take care of lubing it back up to snuff.

Monofilament sucks but nylons or nylon panties are even worse. They melt quickly and jam up the sprocket. I mostly have run hard nose bars in those conditions ...

Nylons and panties?!!? How the hell did you find that out? HAR HAR HAR!!

Back