Brainstorm-> Ideas for mobile bucking operation w/ hand saw for Joe Blow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw has arrived, but chaps have not yet, argh. Oh well, can at least put it together tonight and start it up. :)

Still researching chain sharpening guides for the newbie homeowner who will probably not need to sharpen every week. We'll see.

You're a Noob. You're gonna need to file before you finish your first 10 Bucking cuts.
Plan on it.

No matter how many times Ct. Yank tells you, or we nag, you're gonna brain fart and put the bar into the ground, miscalculate and dig trenches, and then find every nail sold to the neighbors in those yard trees you're getting.

You don't have bar awareness down to bieng second nature, so you're gonna have to keep thinking about it actively, along with everything else that is going on, and shift focus constantly...you will find dirt. By the same token, you can find your thigh..wait untill ya have the chaps on to cut anything.

The Husky Roller guide is about the easiest and fastest, with the least amount of fuss, and removes all possibility of error except slight top angle error, so it's a no brainer in use. It's small enough to slip in the pocket, and sets the Rakers at progressive angles.
Best part is there's nothing to adjust or screw with, so a Noob can't get it wrong. ;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If the MC helmet is overkill, that's ok. I'm using it mainly because it is free and already in my garage. :)

As for ear protection... I've lost enough hearing from MCs and car stereos as a kid. I'm going to protect what I got left as best I can. :msp_scared:

A MC helmet will protect you... but way too much overkill. I usually just wear glasses myself, but if you like the full face protection, this will be more comfortable.

BEECH%20Helmet_1151.jpg

I hear you on the helmets, though. It saved my ass once.

EDIT: and although I'm a fan of hearing protection, when I use a saw, I don't. I want to be able to hear what's going on, be it the person yelling or the tractor coming. Weedeating, splitting, bushhogging, I rock the worktunes. :rock:

Been a decent night's workout:
View attachment 267571
View attachment 267572
View attachment 267573

But the wood pile is steadily growing (yes, the stacks up against the house will be moved, but need to find pallets first. They are resting on extended foundation that sticks out from my house <concrete> for now)

On the left is the new stuff CTYank just dropped off. :rock:

View attachment 267574

Haven't put the saw together :msp_scared:, but I promised myself I'd keep the wood pile in check and split what I have such that I keep the peace at home, things look tidy for neighbors, and I am ready for the next opportunity for free wood when it arrises. :msp_biggrin:

I'm going to protect what I got left as best I can. :msp_scared:

I'm the same way with hearing protection. When I use my riding mower with its louder Briggs engine, I actually use earplugs under my earmuffs for even better noise reduction.

Those earmuffs I posted earlier have a better NRR (30dB) than the muffs that came with my Stihl forestry helmet (24dB).

I'm the same way with hearing protection. When I use my riding mower with its louder Briggs engine, I actually use earplugs under my earmuffs for even better noise reduction.

Ehh? What'd you say? Oh, yeah, too many years workin' around JT8D's. The good thing about being kinda deaf is it filters out a lot of the BS. ;o)

The basic idea between the different file sizes is that you can go up a size for an open gullet, with the drawback that you remove a little of the top of the strap, or you can go down a size for a little more hook an a little less material to to remove. Both will work fine. I would advise just getting the recommended size, since you will not have the experience to judge what a safe amount of material to remove from the straps is.

You do not need the fastest chain, you want a chain that is sharp, cuts strait, and puts wood on the ground.

Dan

I went for a standard .325 sharpening kit w/ the roller guide from Husky.
The basic idea between the different file sizes is that you can go up a size for an open gullet, with the drawback that you remove a little of the top of the strap, or you can go down a size for a little more hook an a little less material to to remove. Both will work fine. I would advise just getting the recommended size, since you will not have the experience to judge what a safe amount of material to remove from the straps is.

You do not need the fastest chain, you want a chain that is sharp, cuts strait, and puts wood on the ground.

Dan

The basic idea between the different file sizes is that you can go up a size for an open gullet, with the drawback that you remove a little of the top of the strap, or you can go down a size for a little more hook an a little less material to to remove.

I usually file or grind with the manufacturer's recommended size file or wheel to get the cutting edges right, then shape the gullet separately, if it needs attention.

JMHO

Philbert

So far so good...

Cut to length the longer stuff CTYank gave me the other day and have maybe two wheelbarrow fulls left to split.

Got the saw up and running for the first time today. Cut fine and apparently I did not screw up the oil/gas mix or put the bar/chain on wrong. :)

Only thing that surprised me was how tired my back got from leaning over with the saw to cut stuff on the ground. I was not expecting that since the saw would be doing the work, but I guess holding up 10lbs for an hour or so could wear me out a bit.

Only difficult with the saw was starting from cold (yes I followed the manufacturers instructions). But once it got up and running it was fine. Once day I'll let CTYank test it out and he can fiddle with the carb if he thinks they need it. :)

Update on wood pile...video.

Just finished up for the night (I try to do a little after work each day by headlamp. Split stuff in the garage, then wheelbarrow it outside and stack) and I shot a video:

Wood Pile as of 12_28_2012 - YouTube

Many thanks to everyone's help, especially CTYank.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to how much wood I have? I have no idea, but I do know I tended to split very fine in the beginning now I'm a little less enthusiastic with the splitter as the newness has worn off, haha.

Santa brought me welding gloves and a bag to carry wood inside with as well as a 36in bow saw that works really well actually and will be nice to use while winter camping. Now off to buy some more work gloves... man did handling this wood eat right through the cheapos I had!

Looks like you're off to a good start. The pile of irregular pieces you have are lovingly referred to as "uglies" and we all have them. They are usually the first pieces to get burned as you go into the burn season.

You can easily calculate how much wood you have. A cord of wood is 4' by 4' by 8' or 128 cubic feet. Just do a measurement on your stacks and figure it out. I like your use of the old ladder for stacking. The untreated 2"x4" will eventually rot. Also be aware you made a perfect habitat for mice. You might think about a few traps if that bothers you. I keep my wood stash well away from the house so the mice aren't tempted to find warmer quarters.

Do folks buy paver stones to put under 2 x 4s? What do they do to preserve?

My stack is roughly 20 x 29 feet, but it is loosely log cabin (with smaller splits in the middle) style, not orientated all one way as I see most stacks. It has to be less densely packed.

I've used cinder blocks and pressure treated 2 by 4's and will probably do that again this year when I start splitting. At the present, I'm gathering. The plan is to have this split by the end of May and I have added considerably to the pile since this photo was taken.

Woodpile3_zps3761430a.jpg

As far as stacking it you could build a Holz Hausen design. Its like a big behive looking stack that the germans did with the wood. They look good and sup. dry wood in 3 months so I read. Plus the wife might like it over the standard looking stacks of wood every where. Just an idea.

Just read this thread:
Holz Hausen (Haufen?) Pics | Page 3 | ********** Forums Home

I don't believe they dry any quicker and are more difficult to stack, but thanks for the suggestion.

Back