Brainstorm-> Ideas for mobile bucking operation w/ hand saw for Joe Blow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I am a new homeowner w/ primary natural gas heating. I have an (inefficient) fireplace that the Fiancee thinks looks nice and I am collaborating with a local welder on building a very large (inside dimensions: 17.25" x 14" x 9.75") ammo can stove w/ primary/secondary air inlets, 4in stove pipe, baffle for secondary combustion, gasketed door, etc. The stove will be for winter camping in the Adirondacks as well as emergency heating in the house. Thus...I'm into collecting free wood these days.

I have the following at my disposal:
- 21in bow saw
- 36in bow saw
- Fiberglass ax (not a maul)
- 8lb sledge
- Hydraulic log splitter powered by to handle I use in a Nordic Track-like motion to build pressure.
- Honda Fit hatchback (don't laugh too hard, the car has swallowed 600 sq ft of flooring, kind sized bed, moved my Fiancee, and a couple hundred lbs of cut oak recently. :p)

I'd like a better way to get somewhat larger logs off the ground in order to use my 36' bow saw more efficiently. The kicker is, this solution would have to be mobile as often times when I am trolling for "free firewood" on Craigslist, I need to cut the wood to length onsite in order to load it into my Honda Fit.

Thus far I've found:
- Various log/timber jacks on Google.
Seems like the most portable, but won't really lift the log up high enough to get an efficient stroke with the 36" bow saw, right?

- Metal,foldable saw horses with teeth in them to hold the log.
May be difficult to setup and take down, plus fit into the Honda Fit with a bunch of wood in it?

This is what I cut and split yesterday. I split it very fine for future use with the ammo can stove:
View attachment 265158
I know I've got some cruddy restraints here, but I'm just looking to be efficient and work with what i have for now (the Fiancee is not a fan of chainsaws...yet . :p). Any ideas are welcome. :)

Last edited:
I am very confused why are we not considering a chainsaw at this point?

As far as getting logs off the ground to cut them up some guys around here use a "timber jack" device that looks like this. It works like a cant hook but has feet on the back of the lever to hold the log off the ground.

Last edited:
Depends on what "larger" means.

I think you're either looking for sawbucks:

https://www.google.com/search?q=saw...b31c2ede9f251&bpcl=39314241&biw=1422&bih=1070

or like Aarolar says, a "timber jack" which you can get creative in how to carry:

P7291527_small.jpg

That's a Logrite Peavy w/ Log Stand, made up in Vernon, Conn. in the bike rack. Though I had a bit more then a handsaw in the trunk :yoyo:

What about using a bunch of those Truper hatchet handles that TSC sell to prop up the wood? The heads break off fairly easy and you could stack them up and roll logs onto them to cut with the bow saw. :)
I realize you aren't wanting a saw right now but a saw, gas and oil would likely take less space than your bow saw and a contraption to hold the log solid enough to cut it would. Time saving using a saw and might look a little better showing up at a house for wood if you have a saw instead of a bowsaw. Rachet straps will help to hold the log when you actually do get it off the ground.

Folding sawbuck made out of a couple 2x4's and a few nuts and bolts. Should fit right in the Honda. If you don't mind hand sawing, don't buy a chainsaw until you really need one.

Folding sawbuck made out of a couple 2x4's and a few nuts and bolts. Should fit right in the Honda. If you don't mind hand sawing, don't buy a chainsaw until you really need one.

Uh, that is a no no. We dont say that around here. Instead we point out great deals found in the classifieds, sales at Baileys on a great saw, or anything else we can think of to point the guy in the right direction.

Not much help on the log lifter as some good solutions have been listed already. But, maybe I can help with some words on your tool selection restrictions...

(the Fiancee is not a fan of chainsaws...yet . )

If I only bought tools that my Wife was into I would have no tools at all. Do you tell her what she can use to do her chores? Going to be a long and frustrating life living by someone elses rules.

Going to be a long and frustrating life living by someone elses rules.

+1,,
Get what you need to get the job done,It doesnt have to be the best or most expensive,but the proper tools will make any jobs much easier.
As mentioned a small saw will take less room that a couple of saw bucks and will make job faster.

I have discovered it is far easier to get forgiveness that it is to obtain permission.

I think we need to see pics of her to see if she is worth all that hard work! We will decide that for you, so you can just tell her, well, the guys say you aint worth all that hard work so I am getting a chainsaw dag nabbit! :hmm3grin2orange:

Now, if she looks anything remotely close to my avatar, well, then, .........:heart:

Ted

I think we need to see pics of her to see if she is worth all that hard work! We will decide that for you, so you can just tell her, well, the guys say you aint worth all that hard work so I am getting a chainsaw dag nabbit! :hmm3grin2orange:

Now, if she looks anything remotely close to my avatar, well, then, .........:heart:

Ted

You gotta love this place...........friends helping friends.

My original post that was modified by the moderators had links to various timber/log jacks and metal, folding saw horses with teeth the bite into the logs. So perhaps I've discovered the extent I can go to ease my use of hand tools.

As for the chain saw.... perhaps one day it will happen, we'll see. I have injuries from racing motorcycles where my right arm is not as strong as my left, so that is most likely her reason for me not to handle one (though of course, I think I could. I'd only want a small one anyway).

As for her looks....your avatar is not far off except she has a brain too. ;) We're both strong-headed so we'll see.

For when I am onsite...I am after ~12in logs. I could not physically lift a 12in diameter log that is 6 feet long into a metal saw horse, so I'd have to at least buck the log on the ground a bit to then finally be able to pick it up and then cut it to ~18in lengths, so I'll be sawing on the ground some of the time, right?

Dunno, maybe I'll end up on one knee swing away with the log under a timber jack. Maybe that is the best compromise in getting a decently efficient stroke with the buck saw.

Shifting...

I think I'm more shifting to an electric chain saw. Yes, it's not portable, but it would allow me to buck a lot faster. I'd still have the bow saw if I had to buck onsite, but the electric chain saw would be quick, lighter, and less maintenance. Maybe the "lighter" electric chain saw could be translated to "safer" in some regards with the SO. I could also entertain then drops from local landscapers once in awhile, with the ability to process the wood much quicker.

Are electric chainsaw sacralegous around these parts? :p

Electric chainsaw, where to get power on sight? Running off a converter from the car would not be practical. Battery operated ones are pricy and the charge seldom lasts long enough to accomplish much.
Sorry to hear about getting busted up on the motor pickle, Got the t-shirt. Have not so fond remembrances also.
In my estimation a small 14"-16" gas saw would be perfect 35-45 cc . I applaud the use of the hand tools, acts as physical therapy ( been down that road also) Retraining left to right or right to left primary use takes time and a lot of effort, but it can be done.
I won't comment on the female part of the scenario.

If your fiancees concern is your well being then she should be for you getting a small 30-40cc chainsaw. It would be waaay easier on you than trying to attempt the three ring circus show you are currently working on.

My wife who is 5' 10" 145lbs and has no experience with doing physical work can run my Stihl 021 just fine with little effort, heck I can run it one handed and it's not even a top handle saw.

Last edited:
Where to get power? I have a 100 foot, 12-gauge extension cord for my mower. Around the house that has more than enough reach, and perhaps I'll just have to resolve to loading chunks into my hatch that a professional has cut up, and then cutting it up further to specific lengths at home with the electric chain saw. I guess if I wanted to buck stuff at someone's house I found from Craigslist, I could ask them to plug me in, haha. Or just hit it with the bow saw as usual.

Electric chainsaw, where to get power on sight? Running off a converter from the car would not be practical. Battery operated ones are pricy and the charge seldom lasts long enough to accomplish much.
Sorry to hear about getting busted up on the motor pickle, Got the t-shirt. Have not so fond remembrances also.
In my estimation a small 14"-16" gas saw would be perfect 35-45 cc . I applaud the use of the hand tools, acts as physical therapy ( been down that road also) Retraining left to right or right to left primary use takes time and a lot of effort, but it can be done.
I won't comment on the female part of the scenario.

And actually according to certain websites I'm reading, @ 100 foot long extension cords, pulling 14-15a would require 12 gauge extension...

And actually according to certain websites I'm reading, @ 100 foot long extension cords, pulling 14-15a would require 12 gauge extension...

By the time you spend money on a electric chainsaw and a heavy enough cord to run it you could have bought a wild thing or similar gas chainsaw. Both would be equally as dangerous and strenuous to operate but as least you have the freedom to use the gas powered saw anywhere you please...

Are electric chainsaw sacralegous around these parts? :p

My 75 year old FIL cuts all his firewood with an electric, doctor's orders. He's got 6-8 cords on skids right. He dropped, cut and split all that wood himself. Long extension cord from the house to the trees.

Back