Need a wood burning fireplace insert recommendation (double sided fireplace)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHT

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
Fellow arborist,

I am looking for a little help here. There is an old house we are renovating. It has a rather stout double sided fireplace that we would like to put a wood burning stove insert in on one side, and then either a faux fireplace (candles or log set) on the other. Or, maybe a potential of a gas burning insert on the opposite side. The latter depends on the former..... Maybe a Napoleon wood burner on one side and gas insert on the other? Most require 18" depth, but can you put them back to back?

Either way I am looking for recommendations on the best insert out there. Cost really isn't a factor. We have a relatively large set of interior firebox dimensions. 34"w x 24" h x 36"d

Has anyone had any luck with this kind of retro fit? Pictures? Recommendations? Any other forum supporting vendors want to help out another? :)

Any help you can lend would be highly appreciated!!

Cheers,
DHT

Attachments

• double sided fireplace.JPG
    double sided fireplace.JPG
    464.7 KB · Views: 82
I don't know which one is good but I would recommend that the blowers to be on the sides of the stove. We had one where the fan blower was on the bottom of the stove and albeit covered, would pick up ash or debris that fell out of the stove and would either blow the ash around the room or the debris would damage the fan fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growing up, we lived in a old house that had back to back fireplaces. If I remember correctly, the chimney had a divider down the middle that separated the two fire boxes. If yours chimney is similar in design, I dont see why you couldnt put a wood burner on one side and gas on the other, but I would probably run pipe down the chimney for both. I could see where a small gas leak could create a very big problem if the fumes ever ignited in the chimney. Way back then, dad installed a heatalator in the fireplace in the living room. It had fans for blowing heat into the rooms. Best I can recall, you had to keep the fire fed and stand close to feel any heat. I think any insert would be better than one of those old heatalators, but I dont have any experience with any of them.

It's one chimney, not divided. The picture is deceptive. The fireplace is huge, with a 36" interior dimension. Same glass doors on each side. I suspect if we torch cut the flue out there is plenty of room for two metal liners so we could have a wood burner on one side and gas insert on the other. Of course we are trying to find the most complex solution possible!! ;)

Minus 10 degrees here, had a fire burning. Everything works well, just not as efficient as I'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dueling quadrafire inserts, of course.

I installed a Quadra-Fire Voyager Grand insert this fall in my basement and have been very satisfied. It puts out a lot of heat and the ease with which it starts and maintains a fire is night and day to the open fireplace above it in the living room. Probably going to install another insert upstairs next summer.

Of course we are trying to find the most complex solution possible!! ;)

Since you threw this little detail in the mix. I've only seen this twice, BUT, it works like a blast furnace.

Two Fishers or Woodlands is what I've seen. Cut the backs off and weld together to the desired depth of the space. Weld a strap over and around your seam weld for strength. Cut an 8" heavy pipe chimney vent in the top to line up with your liner going up. These were both VERY hungry but heated a 110+ old, zero insulation farm houses. Granted we don't get as cold as you, but we have very wet damp cold, they cranked out heat. It will also turn you into a wood scrounger to be jealous of.

Lots of, make what you have work, mentality around here. Firewood grows on trees around here too so supply wasn't a problem.

Owl

@ Zogger and OWL....cool ideas but the township is pretty particular about what and how we would retro fit this. Would hate to spend a lot of time and money on something custom, only to have to rip it out when the inspector comes through. (whole house is being renovated) And there is a fire place below this to the right, and there is a 'home run' for piping, wiring etc along the fire place up to a vaulted ceiling....so not so easy

Still thinking about a wood stove on one side and gas on the other.... :)

Back