Brand new MS261 woes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you start a saw that has been sitting in the Sun ? my Stihl MS250 and the MS362 always give me trouble when they sit in the Sun for a while .

While I am by no means and expert, if your saw has sat in the sun for a period of time before you try to start it, open the fuel cap and let the pressure out. Yea it should vent but I think the tank vent can get overwelmed. The saw should then start as normal.

I would not normally leave a saw to bake in the sun but the 562xp had been performing flawlessly with everything we had thrown at it that I wanted to really test it. I also left a 372xp with it to see how it compared. I did not remove the fuel caps prior to staring either saw. I assume both had simply flooded due to pressure built up from the heat.

While I am by no means and expert, if your saw has sat in the sun for a period of time before you try to start it, open the fuel cap and let the pressure out. Yea it should vent but I think the tank vent can get overwelmed. The saw should then start as normal.

I would not normally leave a saw to bake in the sun but the 562xp had been performing flawlessly with everything we had thrown at it that I wanted to really test it. I also left a 372xp with it to see how it compared. I did not remove the fuel caps prior to staring either saw. I assume both had simply flooded due to pressure built up from the heat.

The vents on most newer stuff is 1 way, only lets air in. What happens is the carb neddle is pushed of it's seat by tank presure.

The vents on most newer stuff is 1 way, only lets air in. What happens is the carb neddle is pushed of it's seat by tank presure.

“I only ride em, I don’t know what makes ‘em work”

Kelly’s Heroes
Sergeant Oddball
MGM 1970

Well, I do know that even the dealer had trouble getting it fired up. After a few minutes, he got it going, obviously.

Once I got the hang of what it was doing, I was able to adjust my actions and get it started. And yes, it was flooding out, and quite sure it was my fault.

Thing is, I've never had similar issues with other two-stroke equipment I've owned.

Before I put it to use, I want to make sure that it's gonna start. I can't imagine trying to cut wood with it not running. :dizzy:

BTW.....That 046 that I had, was easy to start. I have no idea how long it had been sitting idle.

If its any consolation, I probably would have went through the same thing with my new ms261 had the dealer not given me a demo
when I purchased the saw. (Faulk lawn and equip in Delaware) The tech/sales guy took the time to explain what not to do and not to do when starting the saw and made sure I fully understood every aspect of owning the saw.( Possibly, he recognised that I wouldnt RTFM after I explained that I owned various other saws for over 25 years)
As the ms261 has no "primer bulb " and appears that it will never vapor lock after a hard run...i am happy to comply with the change in starting methods. The whole spectrum of criticism i have read here reminds me of when fuel injection first appeared on cars. (it took a long time before people stopped pushing the gas pedal as though their car still had a carbuerator :laugh: )

I do wish there was a "brand loyalty" filter on this forum as well as an "oil thread" filter as their is absolutely nothing anyone can
post here that will pursuade me to sell my stihl and buy a brand x, or adjust my oil mix, or even care that I might be useing saws
(stihl,echo,homelite) that are seen as inferior by others......unless the saw came with a really revolutionary development like a detacheable body warmer attachment with accessory boots and gloves to go with it. Or even a butt warmer. That would be something I could really use. ;) I still like reading the rest of the posts. The filter would just help me to get to the interesting stuff faster.

I too have "over purchased". This saw will probably outlast me but hopefully I wont be passing on junk to my heirs. If the other brands
should come out with a detacheable body warmer, I will probably here about it on the news. People will be buying them for uses that
have NOTHING to do with cutting wood.( In that case,I am pretty confident I could resell my stihl easily without takeing too big of a loss to get one)

Mrnecsteve, I couldn't agree with you more. However, the next best thing to a body warmer is already here; It is M-Tronic! There is only one position for start, and it's nearly impossible to flood. In fact, I've let mine run on full choke for over 90 seconds to perform an "initial calibration"

[video=youtube_share;iMj5ticEz7g]http://youtu.be/iMj5ticEz7g[/video]

If its any consolation, I probably would have went through the same thing with my new ms261 had the dealer not given me a demo
when I purchased the saw. (Faulk lawn and equip in Delaware) The tech/sales guy took the time to explain what not to do and not to do when starting the saw and made sure I fully understood every aspect of owning the saw.( Possibly, he recognised that I wouldnt RTFM after I explained that I owned various other saws for over 25 years)
As the ms261 has no "primer bulb " and appears that it will never vapor lock after a hard run...i am happy to comply with the change in starting methods. The whole spectrum of criticism i have read here reminds me of when fuel injection first appeared on cars. (it took a long time before people stopped pushing the gas pedal as though their car still had a carbuerator :laugh: )

I do wish there was a "brand loyalty" filter on this forum as well as an "oil thread" filter as their is absolutely nothing anyone can
post here that will pursuade me to sell my stihl and buy a brand x, or adjust my oil mix, or even care that I might be useing saws
(stihl,echo,homelite) that are seen as inferior by others......unless the saw came with a really revolutionary development like a detacheable body warmer attachment with accessory boots and gloves to go with it. Or even a butt warmer. That would be something I could really use. ;) I still like reading the rest of the posts. The filter would just help me to get to the interesting stuff faster.

I too have "over purchased". This saw will probably outlast me but hopefully I wont be passing on junk to my heirs. If the other brands
should come out with a detacheable body warmer, I will probably here about it on the news. People will be buying them for uses that
have NOTHING to do with cutting wood.( In that case,I am pretty confident I could resell my stihl easily without takeing too big of a loss to get one)

Maybe it's just me, but if someone tells me how to do something, there's always a chance that I'll forget something and mess it up.

But.....if someone shows me how to do something, there's a better chance that I won't forget and mess something up.

And.....if they don't do either, you can bet your last dollar, I will mess something up. :biggrin:

I probably would have went through the same thing with my new ms261 had the dealer not given me a demo
when I purchased the saw. (Faulk lawn and equip in Delaware) The tech/sales guy took the time to explain what not to do and not to do when starting the saw and made sure I fully understood every aspect of owning the saw.

If anything is taken away from this thread, buy from a dealer. Some are great, some are poor, but I guarantee one thing...no big box would have this straightened out. :msp_thumbup:

If anything is taken away from this thread, buy from a dealer. Some are great, some are poor, but I guarantee one thing...no big box would have this straightened out. :msp_thumbup:

Damn straight! :msp_thumbup:

BTW.....me and my saw are now getting along great. :biggrin:

Between an actual dealer or big box, no contest... dealer every time.

That or buy used, then apply some of the savings to learn the "how to" part of the ownership experience.

Didn't read through the whole thread so apologies if this was already posted. I just picked up a new MS261 last week myself and am learning how to start it. It's behaves a little different than my old 271 which I traded in. Because it has the decomp valve, I think it's easy to miss the initial blip on full throttle. I have taken to watching the decomp valve and as soon as it pops up, I pull one more time on full choke, then move the throttle lever to high idle and she usually starts on the first or second pull after doing that. Anyway, throwing that out there as another suggestion (unless someone already posted it). Happy sawing!

Didn't read through the whole thread so apologies if this was already posted. I just picked up a new MS261 last week myself and am learning how to start it. It's behaves a little different than my old 271 which I traded in. Because it has the decomp valve, I think it's easy to miss the initial blip on full throttle. I have taken to watching the decomp valve and as soon as it pops up, I pull one more time on full choke, then move the throttle lever to high idle and she usually starts on the first or second pull after doing that. Anyway, throwing that out there as another suggestion (unless someone already posted it). Happy sawing!

Thanks for the tip and words of encouragement.

It took some time to figure out what I was doing wrong. It's no longer an issue. :clap:

Between an actual dealer or big box, no contest... dealer every time.

That or buy used, then apply some of the savings to learn the "how to" part of the ownership experience.

Yep...my last chain saw purchase was an echo cs305 at a big box store. I wasnt in the market for a saw...I just happend to walk by
it ,saw it (no pun intended) and thought what a cool little "branching/limbing/board cutting/ladder climbing saw .....
I ran it a few times and discovered the front cover fell off...I ordered and waited. I then ran it some more and the retaining nut fell off.Went back to the store....used two makeshift nuts because the box store didt carry it. Bent the bar. No problem I thought,i'll go buy an extra blade and chain...big box store didt carry that either. I like the saw and still think its very handy but the big box stores just dont support it at all....yet within a 15 minute drive there are 4 of the same particular "big box" all selling the same inventory,its competitor has 3 in the same areas. (this might have something to do with the inventory deficiency?) The "building boom" in this area is over. I think I shall just keep my eye out for store closeing specials!!!! :msp_rolleyes:

Decomp valves don't always pop when the exhaust does the first time. That method still leaves you vulnerable to flooding it. Mod your muffler...problem solved.

Yep...my last chain saw purchase was an echo cs305 at a big box store. I wasnt in the market for a saw...I just happend to walk by
it ,saw it (no pun intended) and thought what a cool little "branching/limbing/board cutting/ladder climbing saw .....I ran it a few times and discovered the front cover fell off...I ordered and waited. I then ran it some more and the retaining nut fell off.Went back to the store....used two makeshift nuts because the box store didt carry it. Bent the bar. No problem I thought,i'll go buy an extra blade and chain...big box store didt carry that either. I like the saw and still think its very handy but the big box stores just dont support it at all....yet within a 15 minute drive there are 4 of the same particular "big box" all selling the same inventory,its competitor has 3 in the same areas. (this might have something to do with the inventory deficiency?) The "building boom" in this area is over. I think I shall just keep my eye out for store closeing specials!!!! :msp_rolleyes:

Ladders and chainsaws don't go well together.

To the OP, glad you were able to remedy the issue and you and your saw are getting along now. I suggest you round up a test log and keep it behind your garage for those times when you are inclined to fire up your saw. Cutting a few cookies sure beats just starting and shutting your saw off. Cheers and good luck.

Mod your muffler...problem solved.

I'd love to, if I knew what I was doing. I've read a few of those muffler mod threads but still not confident enough that I know what I'm doing and seems that none of you saw builders are close to me, plus I'd wait a bit anyway on a brand new saw just to make sure there's no warranty issues. On the other hand, I didn't do a search on modding the muffler on a 261 since I just bought it. Maybe there's a good thread with pic's??

By the way, this site has already resulted in two new saws in the past four months - got......to.....stop....reading....AS!!!

I'd love to, if I knew what I was doing. I've read a few of those muffler mod threads but still not confident enough that I know what I'm doing and seems that none of you saw builders are close to me, plus I'd wait a bit anyway on a brand new saw just to make sure there's no warranty issues. On the other hand, I didn't do a search on modding the muffler on a 261 since I just bought it. Maybe there's a good thread with pic's??

By the way, this site has already resulted in two new saws in the past four months - got......to.....stop....reading....AS!!!

DSC_7471.jpg

Didn't read through the whole thread so apologies if this was already posted. I just picked up a new MS261 last week myself and am learning how to start it. It's behaves a little different than my old 271 which I traded in. Because it has the decomp valve, I think it's easy to miss the initial blip on full throttle. I have taken to watching the decomp valve and as soon as it pops up, I pull one more time on full choke, then move the throttle lever to high idle and she usually starts on the first or second pull after doing that. Anyway, throwing that out there as another suggestion (unless someone already posted it). Happy sawing![/QUOTE

Now that you have run both the 271 and 261, how would you compare the two?

Back