Breaking bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I carry a bar with me when cutting. I think it's called a "pinch" bar. It helps in moving logs around and if you can't get to the bottom of the cut, it helps to break it apart if you need a little something extra.

Mine is just a bar about 5' long that's small diameter round on the top, and tapers up about half way into a square and the flattens out into a wedge on the end. They make them in different configurations, but that's the one that I like the best for cutting wood.

This one is shaped a little different than my favorite one, but I have one of these that works as well.

attachment.php

I got something like that, it's 4' long, octagonal, and has a slight bend on the end of it.

I have

165_A10.jpg

any bells starting to ring yet ;)

My brother bought 2 of them. He thought they would be good to carry on the 4 wheelers. IMO they are useful only on very small diameter trees as a directional felling aid. The "cant hook" is totally worthless for rolling a log. They lack enough leverage for anything over 12 inches in diameter and the hook design just doesn't grab. If you are cutting very small trees (like trail clearing) they may be useful. I much prefer a real 48 inch cant hook. In fact I gave the one brother gave me back. Useless. My 2 cents worth.

Scott

I have one and use it regularly for tipping smaller trees , a handy tool for the tall 12" and smaller (use a lever instead of your back).
The hook is designed for rolling trees that have gotten fetched up in the tops .

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back