broke finger splitting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geez Cody that sucks! Did they put it back on? My pinkie was danggling backwards but thank god it was still attached.

No it's gone! Turned the bone into powder according to the doctor, didn't bleed but a few drops.

I have had pieces fly off with tremendous force. Been hit a few times but was lucky and didn't get hurt.
I have learned when those pieces don't split well the energy builds up and they can fly off with a lot of force.
So I ether back off, or use a stick and get myself out of the way just in case.
Sorry about the finger, could have been worse.

By pure blind luck, I never got hit in the past with various hydraulics.

Do not assume you're safe with mauls going ballistic with wood. Just this Sat. MechanicMatt was flailing wildly with the latest art-deco Finnish splitting tool at Spike60's GTG in Shokan NY. I was standing off in a "safe" area, I thought, listening to a fellow sawyer, with head turned a bit. Matt swung around CCW a bit and nailed a piece of red oak. Split nailed my foot end-on just behind the steel toe and above the sole. Stars were visible for some minutes. o_O

Safety is only relative with these sorts of brutal amusement; if you didn't know already, this might confirm it.

Give it time, 066; hopefully it'll mend quickly.

Nice "flailing wildly" , that thing is so light you gotta swing it fast, you shoulda given it a try. And honestly I can't believe how far that split traveled, maybe that's why guys put tires around them.........

By pure blind luck, I never got hit in the past with various hydraulics.

Do not assume you're safe with mauls going ballistic with wood. Just this Sat. MechanicMatt was flailing wildly with the latest art-deco Finnish splitting tool at Spike60's GTG in Shokan NY. I was standing off in a "safe" area, I thought, listening to a fellow sawyer, with head turned a bit. Matt swung around CCW a bit and nailed a piece of red oak. Split nailed my foot end-on just behind the steel toe and above the sole. Stars were visible for some minutes. o_O

Safety is only relative with these sorts of brutal amusement; if you didn't know already, this might confirm it.

Give it time, 066; hopefully it'll mend quickly.

Well..by now you should know that anything mechanical is..alive! It was getting revenge...

hehehehehehehehehehehe ;)

Sometimes I can hear the spliter load up when a piece doesn't want to split. I learned to ether stop or use the stick. lol
Its probably not good for the hydraulics to release that much energy at once, when it pops free like that.

Nice "flailing wildly" , that thing is so light you gotta swing it fast, you shoulda given it a try. And honestly I can't believe how far that split traveled, maybe that's why guys put tires around them.........

Well I woulda, you know, but I'd'a been like the proverbial one-armed paper-hanger- a wood-splitter on one good leg. Coulda done something really stupid, which I might have in years past. :D

At those high air-speeds, its funky aerodynamics seemed to affect its flight. Anyhow, after years, I've found head weight from 5 to 6.5 lbs. to work best for me. Except for kindling. ;) Your efforts seemed to support that with the various tools . Yeah, you were flailing with that red thing. Rather than a tire, a blasting mat might work.

Eagerly awaiting 6 lb. Council Tools maul, for a fraction of fiskars price, delivered. I'll give it a week or so in black cherry & white ash before commenting. :chop:

I don't know where I would be if I lost the use of my nose-picking finger. I doubt my wife or kids would help me out in that department.

With a superior moustache like that, they better help you along in that department.

A older fella that works with my father has a dent in his forehead . It's pretty obvious ... Turns out it's not a good idea to split wood with a wedge on a stick under a clothesline . I was almost peeing my pants when he told me the story . Then he showed me his foot missing 2 and a half toes. He told me if your going to be stupid you have to be tough. That saying always stuck with me. He lost his toes when he set down a running mowing deck on lawn tractor looking for a noise . Some people never learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knobby, I used to date a girl who's dad chopped his thumb off on his mower. She stopped carring for me on the way back from visiting him at the hospital, I'm a bit of a smart ass, but I was dead serious when I asked her "just what do you think that no smoking sign, but with a hand not a ciggarette means?" She turned red with anger........but still 15 years later, I mean really what the hell did he think was gonna happen???

Knobby, I used to date a girl who's dad chopped his thumb off on his mower. She stopped carring for me on the way back from visiting him at the hospital, I'm a bit of a smart ass, but I was dead serious when I asked her "just what do you think that no smoking sign, but with a hand not a ciggarette means?" She turned red with anger........but still 15 years later, I mean really what the hell did he think was gonna happen???
I hear it sound kind of like running over a beer bottle when the blade hits your fingers . I once saw a old school tachometer that looked like a a motorcycle speedo with a socket on the back . You had to hold it on the crank bolt to check the rpm. I was shocked that tool was not covered in blood !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They made me a custom splint. Helps a lot with the pain. And is protected better. But can't do much with it on. They say 4 weeks
20141023_201330.jpg 20141023_201337.jpg

Yes it will be all of that. That will be the first digit to start smarting when the temps are down. you will know what I mean soon enough. It will also be stiff from in activity so some extra flexing will be needed to loosen it back up. Tendon kinda shrinks so you have to coax it along a bit. This after the splint is off.

Back