Brothers of the Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Hi There, I have recently noted that there are many followers of the chainsaw. We have chainsaw collectors, aborists, loggers, mechanics, hot saw racers and chainsaw carvers. I am surprised at the huge following that carvers have.
Anyway, its my endeavor to attact as many brothers and sisters of the saw from all areas of the world that we can so we can get the best audience here.
Keep the Big Chips Flyin!

Well, I only got here last month and I'm already having fun. Now I just have to try and get somebody else hooked. I "casually" collect (up to six now) chainsaws and occasionally actually cut something. Most trees around here just fall down when you show them an SXL-925. I still enjoy it.

BTW: How come I've never heard of an 026 Arctic?

Last edited:
howdy fellah! saw brothers - we tryly are a various bunch arent we? you can ask one about 1/4" carving chain or another about .404 logging chains - one things for sure we are truly freaky! but of course thats in the eye of the person who never gets to get the enjoyment we seem to be able to get from the chain saw!! and if you dont think a chainsaw's bada$$ - ill race you with my 136 and you will lose.

John the 026 Artic has the heated handles and carb for those who like to saw in the white powder. The trees in Mass must be distant relatives of the ones here in Michigan. The ones in Michigan laugh when you show them a Stihl:laugh:

We band of brothers could be thought of as strange for what we enjoy. I say "So What". If the whine of a two stroke at WFO, with a chain zinging around a bar slung out before you doesn’t give you shivers running up and down you spine every time you pull that cord, then you just don’t get it. If the challenge of falling a tree standing before you doesn’t tap into that inherit woodsman of ole in all of us, then you don’t get it. If you don’t swell up with pride when someone looks upon you saw and compliments you on it, you just don’t get it. If you don’t enjoy: the smell of mixed fuel, wood chips flying about as you play, the distinct pleasure of cleaning up your saw after a long day, and the pride you have for you toy, then you just don’t get it. An in conclusion, if you don’t understand what I have said and what my fellow brothers of the saw have stated, then we all have a bit of pity and sorrow for you. For your inner child may never enjoy or know the feeling of a chainsaw blazing away in your hands. Yes, to those of you who do not understand, we all feel sorry for you.

Confused

O and I have never had a tree in Michigan laugh at my Stihl HuskyMan.

Last edited:
I thought most trees laughed at Stihls. :D

Seriously, as a state we have lots of big 'ol trees. My part of it just happens not to. Another point against suburbia. It is pretty interesting to get people's reactions from seeing some of my saws, though. I think most around here would consider a 20" Poulan Pro somewhere between a logger's and a racer's saw.

Thanks, I know what the Arctic models are, I just didn't know you could get it on an 026. Do those of the frozen tundra get a better saw selection?

Pretty soon somebody here's going to do a "cylinder index" poll.

Let me know which Lowes I can get a Poulan 3120XP from.

I'm almost positive Stihl made saws for Craftsman branding a couple years ago. It's in a catalog I have somewhere around here.

I believe that is their "pro" line using the label "Wild Thing".
They have the air injection snorkel, and the purple comes from the
mixing of the orange and green. You have to look hard at Lowes,
behind the toilets, turn left and look down. Or was it Sears,
next to the painted Husvarna mowers? We will be able to buy
Husqvarnas at Lowes soon won't we?
Fish

I've only been into saws for about 2 years and I can't beleive I've how much fun I've missed all those years. We should not quibble however about brand preference. I'm a Stihl fan because my first saw was an 026 which I got used in perfect shape for $200.00 . If my first saw was a Husky maybe I'd feel differently about Stihl. Think about it if all you could buy was one brand of perfect saw in a couple of sizes, would it be any fun?Truth be told my 026 would probably last two lifetimes with the limited work I do with it, keeping an ornamental fireplace fed. I don't NEED any more saws but somehow can't stop buying them. Is this a trend that most of you have noticed?

john i like the wya you think about homelites. i have a sxl-925 and youa re right it is a monster. i run a 36" on mine and it does not hesitate to pull that chain. i also have a lot of moster homelties. they have made a monkey out of any stihl i have pitted them against. live long old homelites

Why would any one want a husky when one sthil will out last three husky's on a quit night if you listen close you can hear those husky's falling apart I cavre with an 0-66 mag goood saw I also use an 0-46 mag with a 16 inch bar for carving it cuts fast takes a lot of work out of the detailing

Hardwood that sound you hear is not the Huskies falling apart but the sounds of fisherman tying ropes tied to the handles of seized 088's and the gentle "sploosh" as they are dropped overboard as boat anchors:p

yes - you may carve with a stihl - huskies are used for cutting wood. husky models cut wood faster than their stihl counterparts.:D

Real logging

Just so you you don't think I'm a part timer I've been Logging for over twenty years . I started out cutting in the swamps dropping cypress and hard woods all with chainsaw . I own Timber Recovery Inc. I log pushed wood thru out florida I don't keep up with tanks of gas heck I go thru gallons I usualy saw two to four semi loads per day by my self . need proof not a problem . thats a lot of sawing 10 hour days in the winter not counting driving time and in the summer time till dark thats uselly around nine to nine thirty pm, as far as carving goes give it a whirl holding a saw at different angles for hours constantly running the saw . we not talking saw a limb stepping to the next sawing a limb I'm talking holding the weight the saw in your arms maybe above your shoulders and going at for hours I've carved shows were I would carve sixteen large carvings in three days . I think I,ve paid my dues .I raise three sons and put them thru school with a chainsaw . wow cutting three straight lines thru a soft log with no knots that looks hard... did i pull on any strings

Hi Mark, I would love to come to Fla. sometime and see a Cypress splash as it hits the swamp. Please hug a few though and leave some behind for me. Carve out some artwork in the woods by seeing yourself as a creator of forest, unless of coarse its for land developement Have you ever needed to buck the head off a gator while sawing in the swamps?
Dont be to hard on Mark, he's one of those rare breed down there in Fla., and besides, he just might come up there and kick your Husky butt with his newly acquired Walkerized 026 Pro with 16" Cannon Carver.
Speaking of kicking butt Mark, when I come down to Ridgeway P.A. to the Rendevous with my tuned 088, where can I get a 72"
carving bar to drive 285 drivers of .325 pitch?
Keep the Big Chips Flyin!

I once made a "MCCULLOCH" , yes a "MCCULLOCH",into a very impressive "Yellow" specticale !!! I took a 6-10 and played with the ports and also took a 10-10 flywheel and starter and installed it so it had 2 starters.Put a 24" oregon bar with chisel square ground, ground way down , and I "BLEW AWAY" ???? near every saw I cut with.I know I'm bringing in a strange color to this forum but ya'all gotta admit,McCulloch was big and ahead of themselves.PM-6 and 10-10,those two saws set a big target for the competition to meet and what about the rod throwing SP-125'S ???? :cool: :angel:

2-4 semi loads a day?

Come on Hardwood, if that`s true, what`s the average diameter of what you are cutting. This isn`t meant to be a "get your hair up" challenge but I think the boys here would be interested in learning something about this operation. I know some of the cypress I`ve seen is pretty good size but I`m by know means an expert being born and raised in the hardwood forests of the north. Are you working alone or are you the faller for a crew that takes care of all the other details like limbing, bucking, skidding, and loading? Please share, Russ:confused:

Rick please post some pics of your muckalucks, it would be nice to get a fresh perspective here. Hardwood do you drop the trees and load them onto flatbeds for mills? I am assuming they are limbed and cut to one length and loaded, not bucked and loaded loose.

Latest posts

Back