Brothers of the Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mostly pushed wood

I cut mostly pushed wood I'll try to post a few pictures I saw and load the only crew is the man taking them down with a back hoe I follow up laying them out in rows and then stumping them and work them to legths ply logs are as follows 17' 7" : 26' 3" 34' 11" 43' 7" and 52' 3" cypress is mosltly log length trim the tops to 10" and let them go hard wood don't pay much of nothing so we just pulp it for paper or sell to the mulch mills when we fing oak 20' 6" with 20" or better top straight less than a 1" sweep we can get a little money for it at the mill were they saw drag line matts pilp pine can go either log length or double bunk if it's dbl bunk we try to put the knotty tres to the center of the bunks cause they pay you tops if they see many knotts tops pay way less as well I don't cut much standing timber now mostly pushed wood I find it easier and I gety a lot of it with all the building going on here around orlando when I was 16 and I first started in the swamp we cut 6 and 8 foot post 6" tops or greater we totem them out on our shoulders and loaded a 2 1/2 ton flat bed truck we finly bought a boom truck were we coud cut and stack them in the head and then whinch them out then we bought an old tree farmer skidder that was a long time back I use mostly a track hoe with a thumb on it some people call them excavator komatsu 200 and a 300 this week end we were using a kobelco trac hoe . it's hard to permit cutting cypress swampa out any more permits can be a pain but if your cutting pushed wood some one else did the leg work and they have the permits all ready . I cotract all my trucking so all I have to worry with is sawing and picking the logs up and loading with a thumb you can load a truck in about twnty min. We can only haul 80'000 lbs in Fla. 5 cents a pound fine any thing over 80;000 that 's gross truck and all I'm not trying to brag just didn't want you'll thinking I was some youngster looking for attention My Canadian friend Luke Andrews is going with me to work monday he's here visiting when he gets back to canada I'll have him visit the site uo can ask him wow long winded as well

I can't understand why we all can't just get along. Seems like a lot of Stihl haten people out there. Seems to me over the last 15 years that I've seen a lot more broken Huskys then Stihls, I can't remember the last time my 075 or my 084 gave me any problems cutting 10 cords a day.

Thanks Hardwood!

Hey Hardwood, that was a pretty good description you gave. I`ts interesting to see the different ways things are done for different markets and locales. I`m glad you took my post the way it was intended.
Josh, where was the Stihl bashing?
Russ

It's in the Blood

I have't traced how far back but I know my great grand father had saw mills and I was only poking fun at husky's people tend to take things to serious life is only a small track of timber take care off it Mark

Hey hardwood,

What's the $ range that you get for that cypress?

Here in the Pacific NW, the conifer export market went to pot some four years ago. It peaked at close to $1400/ mbf for tight grain doug fir. Most I ever got was $1260. Now it is $700-$500. Its often better to cut em under 30 feet as domestic is at $500, close to its $550 peak. Export cut off used to be at 26 feet when the market was good.

I have about 7000 standing bd feet of 60-90 feet tall douglas fir sticks waiting for the crane Monday. We brushed em out in between the wind and snow. Now it's supposed to get to 25 degrees tonite, and with an inch of snow lingering, hope my pinkies dont drop the shackle screw. I know, my canadien bros, that's a heat wave.

Out of 13 trees, we were only able to drop a few short sticks, the quarters are so close. Largest tree has 2000 bd feet in it, clear for the first 54 feet. Others were 135 feet tall with very little taper, better than most residential timber.

We'll start with the little Husky 335 on some smaller aerial cuts, then the 036 or Madsenized 372-32". 372 or 3120/42 " bar for the butts. Backup with 044's and 066 and for flushing a few knotties and trim to length at the landing.

Largest sticks I've done: Crane: 26000 pound 24 foot long giant sequoia, 27' 9" feet circ. at ground; and a 34 foot by 31" doug fir, but 56 inch at butt. (4' left over on the big 3120 bar). The crane was near its limit, he had us scoot the heck out of the way before he picked it totally off the stump. Being as we were down on a blackberry infested slope, that meant for some rather frenetic stumbling scampering!!

Free felled a 50 foot cottonwood stick that made a 3 log, truck load. A second self loader was standing by in case they needed more umphf to get 'er loaded. Five feet across just above the root swell and only 50 yrs old.

All babies compared to the real old growth monsters. aint much of that left, and I hope it all stays up!!

It is tough, being a certified arborist, and killing nice trees. Kinda glad I don't get many calls for logging. That 2000' stick was tough to kill, though, as it was a low risk tree, (but with high priority targets)especially since we had just thinned it last summer. Sometimes the homeowners just develop paranoia, making it difficult to lecture them, or even politely discuss preservation.

Gonna try to get some pics, digital if a buddy comes over. "Oxman, get out of those monster redwoods, or I'll call you a rec climber." Oterwise, pics will take a while to digitize and post.

Florida wood

We don't haver timber like that it must be nice all ecept the wheather it's been about 80 degrees here this week and only in the 60's at night real nice I don't miss the 100 degrees we have in the summer tho . We free fall all the timber if were felling let her drop you don't have to climb any unless your doing yard work which I don't mess with any more I do have three large water oaks at a job that are 4 foot across at the butt and about 35 foot long we sell wood here by the ton even to the saw mills cypress A logs at axles brings 62.00$ a ton 12 inch tops or better at Idian Joes they only bring 50.00$ per ton 10 inch top or larger you can cut them log length at Indian Joes you must have a drop bolster trailer at axles they don't care what kind of trailer you bring them on drag line matting material can be oak or hickory was about 48.00$ per ton ply log pine you can figure by the ton or cord large ply 140.00$ per cord pulp don't bring much 48 to 50.00$ per cord and it cost about 240.00$ per load to get it hauled legaly you can only haul 9.5 cords to a load Florida is limited to 80,000 lb. gross truck load and all I got 1125.00 $ fine for over weight on highway 27 it doesn't pay to haul over weight loads there are some other mills that pay different I some times haul into Gorgia cause I can make a little more per load some times

Reedy creek

I had some old growth cypress bought in Reedy Creek they were going to widen a part of hwy 17 I made a deal contractor and then with another logger that had swamp skidders dualed up 48" tires thats a cut thru of about 21' at a pass they'll really go it takes a lot off room for turning and skiding any way to make a long story short the guy took the wood and forgot were he got it from he didn't pay his stumpage we had know written contract I took him for his word which isn't worth spit the biggest cypress I have ever layed my eyes on lesson learned contracts with all the parties invavled signed

Back