Brush landing pad?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run vegetable oil in mine during the Summer months. I've got several 5 gallon containers of filtered oil that came out of restaurants that a friend from this site gave me... Can you say free bar oil for life??? I only use petroleum bar oil in freezing temps, as the veggie oil will gel.

Thats great and all, but you'll be craving mcdonalds frys the whole time your up in the tree.

The guy I got the oil from had been doing just that. He was paying half the cost of fuel when prices were around $4 a gallon.

Would be a great way to go if you could have access to enough. Out of all the things I have tried to save money I am just afraid of doing the bio diesel. DOn't know why as a lot of people do it very successfully but I am just afraid I would mess up my fuel system. I don't have any way of getting it either. I spent $5k on fuel last year and started in May. I probably can expect to almost double it this year, been averaging a job a week so far this year and should do nothing but get better.

I use canola oil year round for bar oil. Canola is an acronym. One of the main uses it was was created for originally as an industrial lubricant. Canola stands for Canadian Oil, Low Acid.

Works great and will not pollute like a petroleum lubricant.

It also costs half as much as bar oil per gallon.

My 2 cents.

I use canola oil year round for bar oil. Canola is an acronym. One of the main uses it was was created for originally as an industrial lubricant. Canola stands for Canadian Oil, Low Acid.

Works great and will not pollute like a petroleum lubricant.

It also costs half as much as bar oil per gallon.

My 2 cents.
I was wondering what a Canola was that they got the oil from. ha
I am going to start looking for a good source to purchase it in bulk. A side from the environmental aspects,(a Plus for lots of customers)I won't come home smelling like oil(or so the O'l lady says)after work. A win win.

On jobs it is possible when using my boom truck, I throw the limbs directly into the bed of truck. I modified truck for this. throw the brush in first, then take logs down into brush so it has a cushion. I sometimes throw it into a trailers as well, especially on dead trees, ya know the ones that explode when they touch earth fast.

this technique has saved me a lot of cleanup. many times no raking. I have become good at hitting the mark. one trip with truck no chipper. less fuel use also, less need for help. this is how my business thrives,get it done with less.....

I once put six birch trees into the truck bed :msp_thumbsup:

On jobs it is possible when using my boom truck, I throw the limbs directly into the bed of truck. I modified truck for this. throw the brush in first, then take logs down into brush so it has a cushion. I sometimes throw it into a trailers as well, especially on dead trees, ya know the ones that explode when they touch earth fast.

this technique has saved me a lot of cleanup. many times no raking. I have become good at hitting the mark. one trip with truck no chipper. less fuel use also, less need for help. this is how my business thrives,get it done with less.....

I once put six birch trees into the truck bed :msp_thumbsup:

Would love to build a grapple truck and use the bed for this, have thought about it and think it would work great on dead stuff like you said. But I hve to buy a stump grinder this year first.

I was wondering what a Canola was that they got the oil from. ha
I am going to start looking for a good source to purchase it in bulk. A side from the environmental aspects,(a Plus for lots of customers)I won't come home smelling like oil(or so the O'l lady says)after work. A win win.

Have you found this stuff yet? I am still running bar oil from Menards, they had a sale last summer for $4.99/gal and bought 12. I like the canola idea and would like to run, where do you get it?

I was thinking of this thread today while doing a tall cedar tree that leaned over a house. I limbed the whole thing with my silky. I started laying a bed of branches on the roof at roof level, and continued to drop and throw limbs on the pile on the roof even when I was 80 ft in the air. Yes a house can be a brush landing pad. Had a pretty decent pile going too. :msp_tongue:

Back