Bucking spikes - necessity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't take them off mine-I just grind the teeth off.That way you have a measure of protection on the case-a little anyway.I find them to be a pain in the a$$ mostly.If you're bucking they catch on the log unless you hold it back and if your chain is sharp I've never felt the urge to have to lever it through.I always thought that was a dull chain trick.Around here the trees aren't big enough to require them imo_On the other hand,maybe my arms are less "girly" than some......:)
Oh,and I second Trolls longer effective length thing-it sucks to be just a little too short....

Last edited:
attachment.php

This is why Troll takes off the spikes to make his bar look longer.....:) :)

So, owl, would you say it matters on a 40cc saw?

Speaking for me, Yes I have them on every saw I own all the way down to the little needle muncher. I would have them on the saw. Get some, try them and then tell us what you found. Use them smart, don't smoke your saw with to much leverage, the saw stihl has to do the work. A little goes a long way. If you have never used them before there will be a large difference.

Owl

If anyone has to used the saw dog's after they have dropped the tree , they need to learn how to sharpen there chain properly , when the chain is sharpened properly it is self feeding , meaning it is designed to drag itself into the wood and through the log , no extra pressure is required when the chain has been correctly sharpened and is sharp , if you need to put pressure on the chain , your chain is either blunt or not sharpened correctly . Cheer's MM

You had to read between the lines on my first post. I was trying to be nice to a guy asking about putting a dawg on a 36cc.

Guys what I was trying to get across to this homeowner sawer with a poulan 36cc was to just worry more about keeping a sharp chain on his saw then trying to use a dawg on a plastic cased 36cc saw with a dawg.

I was just saying me as a homeowner user, have done alot of cutting where I dont use dawgs and that I thought a sharp chain was more important.

I use the dawgs when the needs arise, which isn't to often for this homeowner just cutting firewood and falling the occasional tree 24" and under.

I mean what good is a dawg going to be on a 36cc? See why I said just keep a sharp chain.
I hope I clarified my point this time and didnt confuse the issue for you pro's.:cheers:
2250 dawg
2250dawg.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone has to used the saw dog's after they have dropped the tree , they need to learn how to sharpen there chain properly , when the chain is sharpened properly it is self feeding , meaning it is designed to drag itself into the wood and through the log , no extra pressure is required when the chain has been correctly sharpened and is sharp , if you need to put pressure on the chain , your chain is either blunt or not sharpened correctly . Cheer's MM

Never met a chain that will drag itself up hill second cut on a PNW face. Bucking perhaps, but not every time. Until you get almost a full bar width into the stump how do you get the chain to feed itself, seems you need a bit of pressure to keep it from bouncing off. Start let the chain pull the dogs in the ever so slightly lean on it until the bar is in deep enough to hold it's own weight while the chain works. Then adjust the dogs in the bark and let the chain and saw do the work. Also been in sap sticky enough to need gas in the oil to keep the chain moving enough to cut, again just a wee bit of push helps alot. Alot of pivot action needed in some of them sappy ole nasties and other times aswell, you aint gonna rock your saw with out them dogs or if'in you do you will be rocked by the end of the day. There are lots of instances were dogs are almost if not an absolute neccesity

I agree sharp chains are absolutly essential. However so are the saw dogs when used proper like.

Owl

You had to read between the lines on my first post. I was trying to be nice to a guy asking about putting a dawg on a 36cc.

Guys what I was trying to get across to this homeowner sawer with a poulan 36cc was to just worry more about keeping a sharp chain on his saw then trying to use a dawg on a plastic cased 36cc saw with a dawg.

I was just saying me as a homeowner user, have done alot of cutting where I dont use dawgs and that I thought a sharp chain was more important.

I use the dawgs when the needs arise, which isn't to often for this homeowner just cutting firewood and falling the occasional tree 24" and under.

I mean what good is a dawg going to be on a 36cc? See why I said just keep a sharp chain.
I hope I clarified my point this time and didnt confuse the issue for you pro's.:cheers:

2250dawg.jpg

Yes you make an excellent. Little saw with a casual owner dawgs probably not a significant issue on a small saw. Ya know this topic is always a pot stirrer.

felling spikes

i know i personally will not own a saw without them, occasionally i will run my partners saw(it doesn't have dawgs) if i have left mine in the skidder or up the hill, but i know i couldn't run it all day without them, just cutting the butt or top off is hard enough

2250dawg.jpg

Makes total sense. However atleast having the dogs there to choose from, was all I was getting at. Some may not like them or use and that is there deal. I just think that telling a guy that seeminly doesn't know, he doesn't need or shouldn't use isn't good here. Even on the little dust maker dogs have come in handy a time or 2, mostly when my head was fully buried and not paying attention though. Dogs are just part of the way it is for me, by way of raising and habit forming, I use them dang near if not every time a saw is in my hands. If for nothing else than weight holding, balance, and leverage WHEN warrented.

Owl

Dogs give a point(s) of contact and control. Else you are working a saw like an electric breadknife.

Here goes: I say only use dogs if you want to use a saw correctly - safely and efficiently.

And it's not about spiking in and mindlessly levering the saw either. But if you aren't using the dogs at all you are working too hard.

Last edited:
Dogs give a point(s) of contact and control. Else you are working a saw like an electric breadknife.

Here goes: I say only use dogs if you want to use a saw correctly - safely and efficiently.

And it's not about spiking in and mindlessly levering the saw either. But if you aren't using the dogs at all you are working too hard.

Exactly.

Owl

Back