Bucking spikes - necessity?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go, getting ready for another eastern US versus west coast fight. The saw manufacturers put the spikes on for a reason. Do you remove the front bumper from your car and let the brakes do their job? :

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I hate to say it, but large dogs on saws are vital to PNW cutters. Hardwoods do not need them. It's called THICK ASS BARK on big timber, that is what they were made for. Period. I love big dogs on saws, they are cruical to back cuts and bucking.
All in all, if you are not careful with hogin' into bucking cuts, they will cause you to walk to your partner for a cut-out.

I hate to say it, but large dogs on saws are vital to PNW cutters. Hardwoods do not need them. It's called THICK ASS BARK on big timber, that is what they were made for. Period. I love big dogs on saws, they are cruical to back cuts and bucking.
All in all, if you are not careful with hogin' into bucking cuts, they will cause you to walk to your partner for a cut-out.

those big dawgs on my 090 are great, could not imagine running it without

I buck up blowdown to just get it out of the road. I've noticed that when I have the one dog (that came with the saw) stuck into the bark, my cut is crooked. So I'm thinking that is a reason one should have two. I cut straight when I don't use the dog. But I'm not too concerned cuz I just want to get the thing bucked up into pieces small enough to roll off the roads. It can be a little embarrassing to cut crooked when you have an audience. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back