Bucking Trailer Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like Johns trailer, smaller stuff doesnt have to many problems.
John has ideas about what he is gonna do, I was really impressed the first time
i used it, it is a great tool, just have to be carefull sawing on it for now, and watch out for our splitter operators :)

I wish I would have checked out the Iowa boys system, but i didnt
get over there, dang it

I wish I would have checked out the Iowa boys system, but i didnt
get over there, dang it

There are some pics floating around. Very simple and practical. Easy to move around. They set it on a gooseneck trailer to keep the rounds at waist height. They did not have gravity working for them or against them. All rounds had to be moved to the splitters by manpower. Maybe Doug or one of the other crew in that area will comment.

See, this is a simple thing to do. John's trailer is very well done, especially for the first (one). It is easy to critique something that you can see. It is hard to envision it from nothing.

We can make a few SMALL changes and increase the safety and utility.

:)

There are some pics floating around. Very simple and practical. Easy to move around. They set it on a gooseneck trailer to keep the rounds at waist height. They did not have gravity working for them or against them. All rounds had to be moved to the splitters by manpower. Maybe Doug or one of the other crew in that area will comment.
I have split off of both and they both have there advantage. Some one in a earlier post mentioned a screen/ netting to protect splitter from possible broken chain hitting splitter . Not a bad idea . I was a little uneasy not being able to see the cutter. i have seen what a thrown chain will do to a pair of chaps. never seen a chain break have no Idea how inertia reacts in that case.

gravity is good, it can help, ... as long as i dont get him by a "BUCKING" round... that was fer you Thomas :)

See, this is a simple thing to do. John's trailer is very well done, especially for the first (one). It is easy to critique something that you can see. It is hard to envision it from nothing.

We can make a few SMALL changes and increase the safety and utility.

:)

I agree. Very few changes need to be made, IMO.

I think stake pockets could be added at the lower table with taller sides that would drop in to the pockets to help protect the splitters. They could be stored in the boxes under the sawers feet

I have split off of both and they both have there advantage. Some one in a earlier post mentioned a screen/ netting to protect splitter from possible broken chain hitting splitter . Not a bad idea . I was a little uneasy not being able to see the cutter. i have seen what a thrown chain will do to a pair of chaps. never seen a chain break have no Idea how inertia reacts in that case.
I have been uneasy looking down the bar of a running saw, I know Chad has and think Alan has broken chains and never had them leave the saw
on a side note: I always laughed at the idea of a bandsaw blade comming out the side of the saw.... but last week making wedges for WI
i had a blade break on the bandsaw at work and one end fly about 4' out the side....kinda spooky

If you go full screen on the video you can see the stands that I whipped together for our last charity cut. These were some pretty big logs at the end of the day. I also had one side of the trailer dug into the ground by 10 inches hoping the rounds would gently roll to the splitters.

Closer view of stands. I don't like that the rounds don't fall through the stand like I wanted. But they will hold a 30" log. The mini excavator had its hands full loading the bigger stuff.

The stands worked in a pinch but want something better like bucking trailer version 2

If you go full screen on the video you can see the stands that I whipped to getter for our last charity cut. These were some pretty big logs at the end of the day. I also had one side of the trailer dug into the ground by 10 inches hoping the rounds would gently roll to the splitters.

upload another video to youtube now. Will edit later and ad it in.

wow,
them "buckers" are really moving !!

Latest posts

Back