Bucking Trailer Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just keep in mind, many of the logs and round are not actually round. Firewood sticks can be very inconsistent and odd shaped.

Some logs will never be suitable for this type of higher volume processing - may need to be trimmed on the ground first. That is a complaint I also hear with firewood processors - they work best with straight, uniform logs, but not so good with random stuff. The sketches use round logs just for illustration. The size and shape of the cradles would have to take that variation into account.

Philbert

Just keep in mind, many of the logs and round are not actually round.
Firewood sticks can be very inconsistent and odd shaped.

What?? You mean all the splitter and processor and maul companies that show off their gear on youtube are lying to us? I thought all wood was around 12-18 inch diameter and perfectly straight and for some reason, didn't have any branches. I guess just one big huge leaf at the top of the tree.

I have cut my fair share on both of them, and both of them work excellent. With that in mind, I would change one thing on each one.

On Doug's I would make bigger "stops" at the bottom of the angle where the person running the saw is standing. A few times a couple logs rolled over the "log stops" when bucking on either side of the log.

On John's I would change the angle of the expanded steel. I would reduce the angle a few degrees so the logs that just got bucked, don't roll so "fast" down to the stop. Some of the bigger logs that get bucked up can gain some serious speed in that short distance.

Both trailers are truly amazing, and if you haven't experienced either one......ITS A MUST! So damn handy!

I had a few smaller logs on the trailer as one of the piles was being cleaned up. I noticed as soon as the last cut was made I could give one of the rounds a nudge and the whole string would fall through the racks and drop towards the splitters. These were up to 12"-14" in diameter.

I wonder too if anything over say 18"-20" were handled by a grapple so the rounds could be cut close to one of the splitters and kept off the trailer. I think the trailer works awesome as long as the real big stuff is dealt with a different process.

42038d1396635757-recent-current-situation-tuning-randy-smilely-popcorn.gif

Here is a possible revision - "Version 2"

Remember the bucking stand is separate from the trailer it is setting on. Only 4 or 8 bolts, (I forget), hold it in place. The updated version would stick out over the trailer a foot in the front & the back. The fold down catch tray would be modified to accommodate the longer stand.

As folks use the bucking trailer this weekend, consider if the angles of the top rest the logs are placed on & the expanded metal should be decreased. If so, how much?

Might need to have a special evaluation GTG where we place different thickness blocks under the stand on first the cutter's side to decrease the top angle, then on the splitter's side to decrease the expanded metal's angle.

Attachments

• Bucking Trailer Stand Version 2.pdf
    237.7 KB · Views: 36
I'm curious as to how many of our members have cut on the bucking trailer or run a splitter next to it. Please add your name if not on the list. Sorry for not adding the names from Scott's GTG to the list but I got distracted. :innocent:
Oliver1655
Hedgerow & Levi
Worksawcollector
LumberJackChef
Workshop
Awol & family
Sunfish
Sam-tip
Lurch2
Digger's Dad
Hinerman & Sam
Cobey
WkendLumberJack
ThinkerTinker
Homelite410
Ronaldo
Hoskvarna
srcarr52
A.E. Metal Werx
Time's standing Stihl
Stu
Rval

The large number of "evaluators" will help to provide a better balanced review. All comments are being taken under consideration.

Rval, Thenks for starting this thread.

I don't intend to do a lot of posting here but will be following. This is about other's opinions, not mine.

^^^ "Looks good on paper" has a bad habit of bombing in real life. Even fancy solids programs can't make gravity stop or the real world live up to hypothetical norms. Once you've designed and built it, there's no substitute for hands on use of it to determine success or failure at the drawing board.

I'm curious to hear how these racks work. I wish I'd been able to go to Monkey's place. Looked like a blast!

Criterias for design:

Safety
Utility
Speed / Loading
Longevity
Towing
Setup
Storage compartments
Self cleaning
Other?

Latest posts

Back