Bucking Trailer Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safety
Utility
Speed / Loading
Longevity
Towing
Setup
Storage compartments
Self cleaning
Cost
Other?
Couple of other design criteria to keep in mind:

Target size/range of wood to be cut - designing it for redwoods may make it impractical for 6" oak, and nice-versa.

Method(s) of loading - clearance for forks/stripping could be different than access for grapple loaders.

Philbert

Flexibility - Current bucking trailer has the ability to remove the bucking stand & be used as a trailer as well. In less than 1/2 hour I can remove the bucking stand & add boards to complete flooring as well as remove the fold up catch tray. However, it might take a little longer, (around 45 minutes), to convert it back to a bucking trailer unless I have help lining up the holes for the hinges.
- Remove the folding catch tray first so it can be strapped to the bucking stand to hold it up while removing the hinge pins.
- Remove bucking stand end rails which is how it is fastened to the trailer.
- Pick it up with tractor loader/"A" frame or just slide it off the back of the trailer. It sits on 2 - 14' long 3" channel iron skids.
- Remove storage boxes if needed - 4 bolts.
- Add deck boards if needed.

I like having an open frame under the bucking stand to allow a lot of the saw chips/dust to fall to the ground versus setting it on a fully decked flat bed trailer. It is not uncommon for the saw chips/dust under the trailer at the end of a day's cutting to be so deep it has covered the axle. A push broom is used to clean off the tops of the storage boxes/standing area prn.

and dirt.

I only have experience loading the bucking trailer at Waukee, with a mini ex. I prefer it because of visibility and control. I have not worked sawing on the bucking stand but generally I prefer one log at a time. Would be interested in what the saw operators on the trailer thought. I'm always concerned about safety. Always worried about the logs reaction when dumped off forks. Good luck with trailer.

Husky Lover: Overall width of the bucking trailer is determined by legal limits - 103". If the angle of the expanded metal's inclined deck were lowered, yes that area would be 1-2" wider depending on how much it was changed. The storage boxes can afford to have this amount removed from their depth & still be safe to stand on to cut. A 2x12" board was used on the other side & could be dropped to a 2x10" board if needed as well. The fold down catch tray uses 2 - 2x12's so overall from the expanded metal to the fence is approximately 34-1/2". The fence on the fold down is 11" high.

Current bucking trailer measurements:
- Length of stand/ trailer without tongue = 14' 9"
- Storage boxes run the length of the trailer & are divided into 2 pieces. This allowed the use of plywood & makes them a manageable size to handle if removed from the trailer & are stored away. They have inside measurements of 14-1/2" high, 28-1/2" deep, & 83-1/2" long so you can store cant hooks & long barred saws. The lids are purposely over-sized to help keep rain/snow out of the storage boxes as well as increasing the standing area.
- Height from top of storage boxes to top of bucking stand in front of saw operator = 22-1/2"
- Drop from top of bucking stand to upper portion of expanded metal deck is ~ 16" . This depth is to allow the rounds to clear the bucking stand & decrease the risk of the saw bars hitting it.
- Height of front log stops on bucking stand = 9"
- Height of rear log stops on bucking stand = 30"
- Depth of top rails of the bucking stand to rest logs on = 62"
- Full width, 48", was used with the expanded metal.
- There are 4 supports used to support the logs in the center of the stand.
- End fences which when bolted to extend below the level of the trailer bed to use it to fasten the bucking stand to the trailer frame is 14" high. They can be bolted higher to where they are flush with the bottom of the bucking stand for use on a regular flat bed trailer.
- Fold up catch tray goes over center when folded up to allow it to stay up independently once raised for safety while strapping it in place. It IS heavy to fold up & down. Didn't worry about it too much until I injured my thumb. There is now a 30" long handle which is inserted into bottom of one of the fence uprights to use as a lever for raising/lowering the catch tray. The end which is inserted is angled at a 45° angle.
- Height of the fold down is ~ 32" from the ground when in use.
- There is a 26" wide gap in the middle of the fence on the fold down where a log lift can be positioned so the larger rounds can just be rolled on to the splitter. When not being loaded, the log lift can be raised to where the end of the log lift is close to the level of the top of the fence to block the gap. The ends of the fold down are open so rounds can be removed easily for additional splitters. Normally will position cut rounds which are waiting to be split in the gaps to help keep rounds from rolling out unexpectedly.

I only have experience loading the bucking trailer at Waukee, with a mini ex. I prefer it because of visibility and control. I have not worked sawing on the bucking stand but generally I prefer one log at a time. Would be interested in what the saw operators on the trailer thought. I'm always concerned about safety. Always worried about the logs reaction when dumped off forks. Good luck with trailer.

As with anything, operator experience is critical. Ask those from Springfield what they think. We had about 20 seconds from sawing, set new log, back sawing.

I worked the splitter side in Waukee and then the saw side at Scotts...from the splitter side, I also didn't like looking down the saw bars or getting covered in shavings...but from the saw side... I was tried to keep the drop area under the log I was cutting clear so rounds would drop as straight down as possible...If possible I tried to set some of the cut rounds on the trailer edge to use as an emergency backstop. I wish I could have gotten a little time on the other trailer for comparisons

What would you think about putting a belt conveyor at the rounds collection area to move the cut rounds away from under the saws. Then the splitters could be away from the line of fire of wood chips, falling rounds and potential flying chains. Just saw a 21ft x 3 ft 45 rpm gear motor belt conveyor online.

tappa talk samsung note 2

There are a few features of Oliver's bucking trailer that I would change.

1) Reduce the angle of the expanded steel and put in another brace under it as a heavy round can bounce off and miss the splitter landing area. Sorry to anyone that got hit by run away rounds.
2) Make the splitter landing area sides a little taller and much stronger, but there was a known issue there when I was using it as the hinges where ripped out in a few spots.
3) Line the log bucking shelf with a wood buffer to protect peoples chains. Sometimes with crocked wood it was necessary to cut right over one of the supports.
4) Make the log bucking catwalk on a shelf or at least the center portion so it can be folded up. This way you don't need long reach forks to place the logs.
5) The front log stops could have been a few inches taller for comfort. We almost had a few logs jump out at us.
6) Reduce the angle of the bucking shelf, not much, just a little. It sucked to push a log up the ramp to clear the bottom log after bucking.
7) A shield at the far end of the bucking shelf to keep the chips from raining on the people splitting in the center. Plexiglass would probably be the best so it would still be see through. Those poor people in the center where covered in chips, the wind wasn't helping them either.

I didn't get a chance to use Sam-tips so I can't say much about it.

7) A shield at the far end of the bucking shelf to keep the chips from raining on the people splitting in the center. Plexiglass would probably be the best so it would still be see through. Those poor people in the center where covered in chips, the wind wasn't helping them either.

What about these type of PVC strips used for freezer and dock doors? See through, but flexible.

Philbert

Maybe it is a curtain that you hang, and remove for high speed travel? Flexible strips can be longer, providing better chip protection. And won't get damaged if the bottom is hit bus rouge round.

Philbert

I have watched this YouTube video several times from the standpoint of log loading:

But if you watch 'till the end, and the unloading part, you can see that, if this guy only knew one or two of the right guys here on A.S., the logs would probably be bucked and split before they hit the ground!

Screen shot 2014-12-25 at 2.32.06 PM.png

Philbert

Here is a fantastic bucking trailer!
d5decd22660a8b02541c09b389c52b98.jpg

Latest posts

Back