Bucking Trailer Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking_Smiley.110173310_std.jpg
Dan & others, have you any new ideas since the last charity cut North of Springfield?

I was wondering how many feet of steel channel and tubing do you think you have in your bucking trailer? Wanting to run some numbers on steel prices. Would you use C channel again? If you could pick your metals. I though you got a good deal on the channel somewhere. :drinkingcoffee::popcorn2: Just planning for my spring charity cut.

For just the bucking stand on the trailer there is around 160' of 3" channel iron.

The trailer portion with the fold down shelf/catch tray, approximately 130' of 3" channel iron. There is 2 - 8" wide flanged beams & 2 - 7' lengths of 8" channel iron for the sub-frame.

Yes I would stick to the 3" angle iron. It is commonly used to build truck & trailer bed frames unless they have "C" channels custom bent out of a thinner piece of plate metal such as 11 or 14 gauge steel.

the best thing is that all the operators of saws and splitters work together
to make it safe, the more we use it, the better we get at using it.
forks make it safer to load.... just have to pay attention... and cut strait :)

If that is 7 pounds per square foot, it is the heavest I know of available. That is about what I payed for 48" x 96" so being 10 feet long versus 8 feet long, it sounds like a good price.

Ya know, I saw little 2150 poulan on C L this morning and rite behind it was a familier looking piece of bent aluminum, and the saw sure looked a lot like the one Andy was running in the video, hmmm!
That stand looks great guys, the only con I could detect and it really doesn't matter since all operators should have hearing protection was the metal enclosure seemed to trap the sound of the saw, saws working in there.
Now if there was a stool up there I could spend a lot of time on it.:)

John

just for the record I've not been able to attend any of the events so have not worked on a bucking stand. hope to attend upcoming processing event)s). my observation though is:

NICE work station. able to load without running over buckers. no saw dust on splitters. some kind of foot actuated dogs could enable multiple logs without having to fight them; say hold subsequent logs about 1' back from cutting zone? wondering if the thin steel sheets making up the circular ramp will last without some backing framework; gonna take a real beating.

just sayin

Andy and I built it for the charity, "Interfaith Caregivers of Burnett County".
Logs are loaded on one side, rounds come out at waist height the other side for loading into 2 log splitters. The buckers do not need to leave their station while logs are loaded. It is 6.5' x 10'x 9'tall and doesn't take up the larger footprint of a trailer at the work site. The steps are detachable using a 1/2" socket. It has a quick-tach for moving and loading with any skid loader. People manning and loading splitters won't be sprayed with sawdust when a bucker cuts the log bottom up.
The ramp is fully welded 18ga steel with a plastic liner. I suspect the steel alone would be fine (it would get dented but wouldn't matter). On Andy's suggestion, he got some plastic and we added the liner to make it more durable and quieter.
In no way does the bucking stand directing sound back to the operator. When the rounds roll onto the tin "round bed, it's kinda loud. Keep in mind, two chainsaw, two logs splitters an elevator and a loader will be operating in close proximity. If you want quiet, you're in the wrong place.
Extensions or stops to the "round beds" may be added later once the optimum location is determined by the people loading the rounds into the log splitters.
Staggered shorter log supports allow the rounds to drop down.
We used discounted random steel supplied by Winnick Supply in Forest Lake MN. Jeff Kueffner owner of Impact Mechanical donated the tin.
We've been working on it for about a month and are now done. Material cost less than $1000.
Thanks for the comments.

If you want the shoots catching the falling rounds to be flexible, you might try a material similar to mud flaps. Seems like it would be quieter and more durable. Otherwise, I would reinforce the tin as it doesn't appear it would last long, but if the tin is cheap or free scrap it doesn't really matter.

I love that you load the stand in front of the saw operators instead of behind them; and I love how the splitters are behind the cutters instead of in front of them. It does appear logs would have to be cut to a shorter length than the other bucking stand of John's....probably safer anyway.

Back