Bug Spray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpyke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know of a spray that I can use on my cords of wood to prevent there being a bunch of bugs from using them as their home? This wood will be to heat my home next winter, so hopefully something not TOO toxic...

I wouldn't recommend insecticides, because like you say, it will be burned and then the chemicals will change and go airborne.
The best advice is to stack the wood so there are nice big air spaces between the pieces, and put the pile out in the open. Dry wood is much less attractive to insects.

tpyke said:
Anyone know of a spray that I can use on my cords of wood to prevent there being a bunch of bugs from using them as their home? This wood will be to heat my home next winter, so hopefully something not TOO toxic...

I wouldn't use any kind of chemicals at all on your wood. I've been burning wood since 1989, and the only problems that I've had have been some "sawdust" from something boring holes in the wood, a few beetles and spiders, and late this past burning season several bugs that were black with red stripes on them that "awoke" from the heat from the stove-but the cats found them and alerted me to throw them outside! Most bugs are long gone by the time heating season comes, I've found. Good luck!:D

Hey TpYke where ya been?

Heres my system for limiting bugs inna house.

Two wood piles.

Split and stack your wood to season it in a stack that is away from your house, or at least is not in the position you want to be getting wood from on those cold winter nights.

When the wood dries sufficiently the bark will want to loosen quite a bit and if you season the wood long enough it will readily fall off.

The bugs (most of them) live under the bark using it for protection from predators and sunlight and so forth.

Once the wood dries enough that the bark is falling off you then transfer it to another stack, this one in a prime location for retrieval on bitter nights.

While transfering it, the bark, bugs, dirt, mold and mushrooms will all fall off leaving you with nice clean bug free firewood.

No bugs inna house and less cleanup around the stove/hearth.

No chemicals or added expence involved either.:rock:

RaisedByWolves said:
Hey TpYke where ya been?

Glad to see someone remembers! I've been either working or working on the house....can't wait to get the chainsaw going again though! I got enough wood for next winter...But in the meantime summer is here to keep me busy:cheers:
077.gif

Use Solubor. It is the same as Timbor but much cheaper. $1 per pound instead of $6 per pound. It comes in 50 lb bags. It is just boric acid.

DO NOT listen to me without further research because I do not want to be wrong. BUT.

I use SEVIN for everything around the home. I spray it on my tomatoes, green beans, etc, and then EAT them. I cannot believe that it would hurt you to burn something that had SEVIN on it. ???

Back