Build Off MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just swing on over here wiggs and we'll see if its got anything for my xpWWWW

That XPW is a mean and wicked saw Terry. It would be a hell of a 046 that beat that bad boy!!! :msp_thumbup:

Id love to, but kinda hard fitting luggage, an 066 and an 046 in the trunk of a Corolla. :laugh:

So you ain't bring no wood to test the saw in??? :(

i guess we'll just have to try it at sawctober fest lol

Catchy. I like that. Are we gonna have cant races Terry? This 026 3.0 I just done up is pretty mean and needing a race. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, here is mine so far. Ill probably tear it back down and throw my dremel in there on the transfers. At this point, they havent been touched, other than knocking the lip off of the bottom. The uppers will be widened, and the lowers brought down to the base. Im having fun with this one, doing everything one step at a time to see and feel the gains......or loses. :laugh: Also gotta open up the side muffler exit. Still sounds a bit too muffled. Gotta go for some flow!!

Anyways, this vid was a bit earlier, with our lovely 80% humidity, and 107 degree heat index.....blah!!! 28" Full comp LGX that really needed filing, but screw this heat. I was gonna make a couple cuts, and ran out of fuel starting the second cut. I was done. Already sweat pouring. I gotta date tonight with the misses and our little girl, so it will probably be next week before I work on it anymore. Supposed to be a cooler front coming thru. Ill believe it when I see it...

so without further adieu....ta daaaaa!!! LOL

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C6R-3t_Gvuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SO what yer saying is you started with a full tank, and then it died on the second cut? ;) Sounds like a 460! I miss my 046 mag until I remember how thirsty it was. My 385 drank less...until Brad ported it...

Nice work, bud. Good to see the build-off shaping up.

SO what yer saying is you started with a full tank, and then it died on the second cut? ;) Sounds like a 460! I miss my 046 mag until I remember how thirsty it was. My 385 drank less...until Brad ported it...

Nice work, bud. Good to see the build-off shaping up.

LOL. They are some fuel drinkers!!! :laugh: There is a reason they have a humongous fuel tank. :)

No, I started with about 3/4 of a tank and most of it was ran yesterday afternoon idling around and a couple cuts, and I made a couple cuts before the video. It dont take long for sure!!!

Looks and sounds really good Wiggs. Is it a flat top or pop-up??? I wish I had time to get some fuel run through mine. :(

Id love to, but kinda hard fitting luggage, an 066 and an 046 in the trunk of a Corolla. :laugh:

Hey,,, No problem,,, Ask Terry or stumphusky,,,, In my 1994 Toyota Celica,,(Basically a two seater with a hatch back) I had all my clothes for the weekend and the next weeks work clothes,, my laptop,, the Simonized 372 with 28" bar/chain Removed, My Ported MS440 w/25" bar/chain removed, A stock 390 XP w/32" bar/chain removed,,,
and to top that off I brought home Chris J's 2171 Jonsered w/24" bar/chain removed,,, Plus my saw tool kit,,, I did have two powerheads in the back seat floor boards and two in the trunk/hatch back,,, just depends how bad ytou want to go!! a little over two tanks of fuel each way,,,

Plus a bed roll and a roll up matress Pad,,,

I don't see a problem???

Last edited:
Here's a couple of videos. The first one is a stock 046. The screen has been removed from the muffler and it's an older D shaped jug. I think it's pretty strong for a stock saw.

[video=youtube;mLk9ERef-go]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLk9ERef-go[/video]

This is my build off saw with the same bar and chain. 28" 3/8 Full Chisel 7 pin. It's not had a full tank through it since I stuck in a new set of Caber rings.

[video=youtube;sNAQP1JskkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNAQP1JskkQ[/video]

Nice work Randy!
I know its a little late, but it's been a while since I've stopped in..
I'm wondering, is it too late to enter the 460/046 buildoff:msp_rolleyes:

Here's a couple of videos. The first one is a stock 046. The screen has been removed from the muffler and it's an older D shaped jug. I think it's pretty strong for a stock saw.

This is my build off saw with the same bar and chain. 28" 3/8 Full Chisel 7 pin. It's not had a full tank through it since I stuck in a new set of Caber rings.

Good work, bud. I think some of the 7900 advocates would understand better how us 046mag owners feel about them if they had the opportunity to use an 046mag. It has the top end of a 7900, but much broader torque range. My 046mag pulled 177psi.

Back