Building another hotrod MS661C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not 'trolling', but simply responding posts made by you that were trolling. I am being civil, and you respond by calling me names.

If any of the mods had been courteous enough to respond to me, I wouldn't have posted in this thread.

Nobody put me up to anything. I can think and post for myself, thanks.
If you still feel you have a valid point to make and aren't just here to raid another one of Brad's threads then I can be reached via PM. As I said earlier I am done discussing it in this thread.

I was not 'trolling', but simply responding posts made by you that were trolling. I am being civil, and you respond by calling me names.

If any of the mods had been courteous enough to respond to me, I wouldn't have posted in this thread.

Nobody put me up to anything. I can think and post for myself, thanks.

It is plain that you are here to soil this thread.

Well, now that it's gone all handbags at dawn, Brad, I've asked a few things and on occasion you just blank me. When I don't understand something, ask a question (most likely considered stoopid or trolling, I guess) and get blanked, the builder gets demoted to at or near the bottom of my preferred builders list for when I eventually get the $ for my first ported saw, especially when I contrast this treatment against how patient and courteous other builders have been with my stoopid questions.

Now, where's that image I keep for such occasions. Oh yeah, here it is:
days-of-our-lives-POSTER@2x.jpg

Unsubscribing.

Well, now that it's gone all handbags at dawn, Brad, I've asked a few things and on occasion you just blank me. When I don't understand something, ask a question (most likely considered stoopid or trolling, I guess) and get blanked, the builder gets demoted to at or near the bottom of my preferred builders list for when I eventually get the $ for my first ported saw, especially when I contrast this treatment against how patient and courteous other builders have been with my stoopid questions.

Now, where's that image I keep for such occasions. Oh yeah, here it is:
View attachment 488077

Unsubscribing.

Not to defend anyone but he clearly answered your question.

It sure sucks when members are demanding and act like jerks when they don't get the information at the snap of a finger.
Many of us put a lot of time and money into learning what we do and people need to understand this and practice better patience.

And....there it is. The trolls return

Please enlighten me. If this place sucks so badly then why are you still here???????? Aren't there multiple other chainsaw related places on the world wide web to hang your hat?

BTW thank you for trying to teach me the rules. You just broke the "backseat moderator" rule, which is #3.

Have a nice day.

I honestly cant figure that out either hoss..if i dont like something i dont bother with it.

Bad cases of vagitosis on chainsaw forums..real bad.

Looks like a nice runnin saw brad.

Gotcha. An excessively loud saw can get old after a while, especially if used regularly in a work environment. Besides, most of the gains are recognized with a more moderate muffler mod.
Thanks. Never gave the noise level a thought.

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but since the mods are allowing it to continue, I guess I will reply. The posts that I've quoted represent what is still wrong with AS, even after all the so-called troublemakers left. Funny that the same guy who started a thread to remind people of site rules, is now breaking those same rules.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/help/terms

@svk read specifically rules 2 and 5. I followed the rules and reported the offensive posts, and was ignored by mods (big surprise :rolleyes:), so I'm posting it here. If you guys want this ******** to end, then it needs to come from both sides...

My intention here is not to start a fight, or ruin this thread, but simply to point out the glaring hypocrisy that is so prevalent here on AS. I won't post about this any more, and I will delete this post (if I'm even allowed to do so), as soon as the other posts are deleted.

Looks like you made some good gains on the 661, Brad. Good job.

As far as popup pistons are concerned, my only complaint is that it's a bit more hassle to do a future piston swap. I have a saw that has a popup and the base cut (which was done by Brad), and it runs awesome.
But there can be merits to a pop up too.

Brad,,when building a saw w/popup piston, what would the additional cost of an extra popup included be?
How much wt reduction is there after turning a 660 or 390xp piston the way you did it?
I like that compared to welding a gob of goo on top then turning it down..

24-L.jpg

Here you can see where I did a little porting on the transfer intake duct.
25-L.jpg

26-L.jpg

Squish after machining was a strong .020", right where I wanted it.
27-L.jpg

I check the squish on all 4 corners. This is partly to make sure the popup isn't too close to the edge of the combustion chamber.
28-L.jpg

29-L.jpg

Setting up the degree wheel.
30-L.jpg

I've found through testing that completely removing the baffler is the best way to go.
31-L.jpg

32-L.jpg

33-L.jpg

34-L.jpg

35-L.jpg

36-L.jpg

37-L.jpg

38-L.jpg

I will cut a new screen with more open space in it. If this weren't a daily work saw I'd also add gills to both sides of the muffler cover. In this case, I'd rather keep the volume down a little.

That's it for now. More to come later.

If you're cutting 13 thou off the squish is it necessary to do the pop-up? I just don't see what you would gain from doing the pop-up as you still have 20thou clearance from the top of the piston to the squish band? Or is that 20 thou clearance where you want the cylinder to sit for port timing numbers while maintaining good compression? why not just cut the base gasket thickness off the cyclinder and call her good?

I'm new to stihl here so don't really know what im talking about, just curious. You seem like you've got things pretty dialled in!

Latest posts

Back