Building Homemade Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you one thing, you will never bend that upright for the boom!
I like the large "road ready" wheels you have under the rig. I see so many little 45 mph wheels under wood splitters.

I like the 3-way splitter head. Should work well with bigger rounds.

The machine is lookin good, but xlr makes a good point, aeration of fluid would be bad.

Cpratt, if you're still thinking of belt driving that pump to keep from running wide open, I made a quick jackshaft setup sketch to give you a visual on what they're describing. The main idea is to get the pump drive shaft supported by bearings, and not the pump's shaft, everything else is up to your design, however you want or need to mount it.

With your motor and pump I'd probably start at about a 4:3 engine to pump pulley ratio and see how that works. If all goes well, you could even tweak on the governor to make high idle lower to prevent accidental damage from overspeeding.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Pusher plate

Got to work on it alittle today... Bout the time I get going real good something happens. Got to go to a real job tomorrow. Be nice when somebody will let me stay home and just work on my junk... Anybody want to donate all there money for me to stay home. ha ha. Hopefully by weekend will have some really cool pics. If I get a chance to stay home and work on it.
Later .... thanks for all the advice as usually

Still working

Well today finally got to work on splitter a little. Finished the pusher plate, finished and mounted motor and pump. Tomorrow after work make a box for bat-tree. Thinking today Im going to build my removable table latter. Really ready to take apart and slap some paint on it and start splitting. Got 3 dump truck loads of logs that need to get gone. (tri-axle loads) Average logs are 24 inch to 36 inch around, (red,white oak, maple,and a little gum)

paint paint paint

Well today finally got to work on splitter a little. Finished the pusher plate, finished and mounted motor and pump. Tomorrow after work make a box for bat-tree. Thinking today Im going to build my removable table latter. Really ready to take apart and slap some paint on it and start splitting. Got 3 dump truck loads of logs that need to get gone. (tri-axle loads) Average logs are 24 inch to 36 inch around, (red,white oak, maple,and a little gum)

All thats left is to put on hydraulic hoses and wiring. Here are some new pics.
I have built a removable table on the front, It actually slides in the pipes at the splitting wedge. Drop your tailgate, slides in and as you split its pushes split wood into truck. The log lift I think is going to be stable enough. Im about 220 pds and I am hanging off the side of the splitter. (never even wiggled) Well as usually thanks for all the input and and Im always open to more advice, form other builders wisdom. thanks

Sweet!! I love homemade stuff. Only question I have is the wedge. Slip on?

good eyes

#1 the wedge is not a slip on its a 3 way i made so that big wood will stay on the log lift while 8 inch pieces fall to table and can be 1/4 again if need be.

#2 FUEL TANK.
ITS ABOUT 6 INCHES ABOVE AND ABOUT 8 INCHES AWAY FROM ACTUAL EXHAUST THAT POINTS AWAY.. sorry didnt know that was like that... I also have a sheild that covers the muffler. But yes I see your point in fueling up with fuel and a hot muffler... better be careful. but the tank is kinda at front of engine and muffler at back

Last edited:
cpratt,

Thanks for the pm there is a ton of good info in this thread. My log splitter project is delayed due to construction of a shop addition.

Thanks
John

Latest posts

Back