Built a hydraulic lift for my splitter with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The square tubing is 1/4" and the hinges are 1/2" plate. The pins are 1 inch. The cylinder is a 2X10 and attach to 1" plate on each end.

Here's a few more pics..

Last edited:
These pics are of the new slide. The bottom slide plate is 3/4" plate. The face plate that pushes the wood is 1" plate . The cylinder gusset is 1.250" with a 1" hole for the cylinder pin.

The are 8 3/4" holes drilled through the bottom plate to secure the slide to the bottom half. Eight Grade 5 3/4" bolts will secure the slide to the beam.

Steel cold rolled 1" discs are welded to the face of the slide to keep the wood from kicking out. The hydraulic filter was installed above and behind the tank. The engine and tank guards are bolted on and removeable. Simply because in a year or so I might want to replace the 11hp wisconsin robin with a air cooled 13 hp hatz diesel engine.

The rear cylinder anchor was upgraded with 1.250" plate.

Finally got it painted. Wish I would have used an enamel hardener, the paint is still a little soft. Tryed out the lift, and it works great. Wish I would have built one years ago. You have to turn down the flow reducer on the lift valve or you could really fling big rounds. Wide open you can feather the valve spool to get the same results so the flow restricter was not really needed.

Only thing left that needs built is the log tray. Since the weather broke I dont know if anytime soon I can get time to build one. I bought the steel already, man is the cost of steel high.

Thanks urbicide and triptester. No cabin fever here, every winter I have a project to keep me busy. I just get a little carried away sometimes on these projects.
What starts out as a single project snowballs into a complex one. No wonder I drink, and now I think my cad disease came out of remission.

Nice Job

Very good job ! Looks like you might work for timber wolf ! Just wondering are you going to add a work table on the wedge end ?

Man you do very good professional work !

Great job!!! Man that will prove to be a back saver!! Wondering about the apparent log catch on the other side. Since your log is pushed through the wedge, does it need to be farther up the I beam so it catches the 1/2 as it falls? Do you see the log lift as being in the way while splitting? Do you leave it up or down while splitting?

Nice job... I wouldn't have a horizontal splitter without a lift. I use mine for the big stuff and a place to store the one split piece's on. I would highly recommend a table on the front as your next build. The combination of the lift and the table really makes life good...:cheers:

totally pro job!

thanks for taking all the pic's and sharing. I've downloaded all the pic's just in case I feel up the job of fabbing one.

how many hours did this take? what the best place to buy materials?
did you use a plasma cutter?

Back