Bulk Firewood Purchase...Educate Me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's going to be highly dependant on location. I live in the sticks, I've sold exactly one load picked up and delivered everything else. If you didn't have a visible lot in a high traffic area i just don't see that being possible, if you were to rent one now you've added costs.

Even some of the people I deliver to don't have a dependable truck and this is the country and they heat with wood. In the city, I see that being much worse. Plenty of people who only own small cars, don't engage in manual labor, burn for novelty. You would be better off to up charge all that than to not offer it.

How does he pull the dump trailer?
The guy that is thinking about getting into firewood to does have a high traffic area right beside the road. The guy that doesnt even own a truck also is in a high traffic area, right at the city limit, main road into town.

I dont know if either one has a dump trailer, but I do. I also have a major highway running beside my house with plenty of room for big trucks, if I decide I want to sell wood. I can also see it would be harder for folks way out in the country to sell without doing delivery.

That's going to be highly dependant on location. I live in the sticks, I've sold exactly one load picked up and delivered everything else. If you didn't have a visible lot in a high traffic area i just don't see that being possible, if you were to rent one now you've added costs.

Even some of the people I deliver to don't have a dependable truck and this is the country and they heat with wood. In the city, I see that being much worse. Plenty of people who only own small cars, don't engage in manual labor, burn for novelty. You would be better off to up charge all that than to not offer it.

How does he pull the dump trailer?

Most of the wood that I sell to people that pickup is just a pickup load at most (1/3 or 1/2 a cord). I've had a few people fill up a minivan/SUV, and once 80+k Mercedes station wagon (they said it was their "cottage vehicle"... Ie.. the beater. :omg:

I've found that for most customers, they are already buying wood (vs harvesting it themselves). Either they don't have the means, time, or desire to haul it.
I prefer to deliver as well, as I know it's a cord (or two or 5).

As far as sawing big logs... bandsaw mill would be aweful slow and rough on blades. My buddy was telling me about 10 years ago they had a Jackson lumber harvestor (circle mill) and they would use that to 1/2 or 1/4 big logs so it would fit in the processor.

I've also seen the giant splitters that quarter logs so they will fit a processor, but I'm sure they have lots of 0000's on the end of the price, Joe.

I dont know if either one has a dump trailer, but I do. I also have a major highway running beside my house with plenty of room for big trucks, if I decide I want to sell wood. I can also see it would be harder for folks way out in the country to sell without doing delivery.

Ok, I read that as he has a dump trailer but doesn't own a pickup, which at that point is just semantics.

So the guy we're talking about doesn't own a pickup or trailer and sells 100% off the lot? Yeah, that's a sweet gig if you can get it. How do they load people?

I've found that for most customers, they are already buying wood (vs harvesting it themselves). Either they don't have the means, time, or desire to haul it.

Same here, heavy on the desire part. I've delivered to young guys who have a truck, saw, and a woods to cut from but can buy it so cheap ready to go there would be no reason to take the time off or use their free time.

Bad market here. If I didn't deliver the next guy would. I've charged delivery on every single one but the price on the wood is low. If I charged what I wanted, what I get in the city, I probably wouldn't sell a single stick.

In your CL add you say 1/2 cord 2X4X8, some would take that as 24" wood. I started to ask the same question with a LOL at the end. I know what you mean, Joe.
No One Has Ever Asked That...lol....I guess they might think I sell one block of wood 2' wide x 4' high x 8' long....lol

Ok, I read that as he has a dump trailer but doesn't own a pickup, which at that point is just semantics.

So the guy we're talking about doesn't own a pickup or trailer and sells 100% off the lot? Yeah, that's a sweet gig if you can get it. How do they load people?

Same here, heavy on the desire part. I've delivered to young guys who have a truck, saw, and a woods to cut from but can buy it so cheap ready to go there would be no reason to take the time off or use their free time.

Bad market here. If I didn't deliver the next guy would. I've charged delivery on every single one but the price on the wood is low. If I charged what I wanted, what I get in the city, I probably wouldn't sell a single stick.

DSW how far are you from the city where the market is better?

The guy is a disabled Vietnam vet. I knew him before vietnam. He has a small whatnot shop beside his wood lot and rents space for a flea market. He buys a load of logs, processes year round. He probably doesnt sell more than 20 cord total a year, maybe not that much. I see him all the time out there with a chainsaw bucking and splitting, but I dont think I have ever seen anybody load a truck. Wood is going somewhere. He's not getting rich by any means. I would guess he isnt trying to sell to everybody and has a "if you want it come and get it attitude." Seems to suit him, he been selling firewood that way for years. I guess once folks find you and you have had years of selling in one spot, You probably get a lot of repeat business. Hes getting up there in years now and I would expect him to stop selling altogether in the next few years. I am sure his business model doesnt fit most folks here, but it has worked for him a long time. And of course it doesnt hurt he is located on the main highway right at the city limit sign. If I was interested in getting into the firewood market, I would probably approach him and try to rent his lot, bring in a processor and a small dump truck and go at it wide open

DSW how far are you from the city where the market is better?

One hour according to Google. Always ends up being at least 1 hr and 15 minutes to their door. The way cities are it could be closer to two hours for some people but that hasn't happened yet.

There's no way I could get my 20+ foot bumper pull into these spots. Either a lot of hand work or machinery investment. I've pondered it but the numbers don't make sense yet.

The guy is a disabled Vietnam vet. I knew him before vietnam. He has a small whatnot shop beside his wood lot and rents space for a flea market. He buys a load of logs, processes year round. He probably doesnt sell more than 20 cord total a year, maybe not that much. I see him all the time out there with a chainsaw bucking and splitting, but I dont think I have ever seen anybody load a truck. Wood is going somewhere. He's not getting rich by any means. I would guess he isnt trying to sell to everybody and has a "if you want it come and get it attitude." Seems to suit him, he been selling firewood that way for years. I guess once folks find you and you have had years of selling in one spot, You probably get a lot of repeat business. Hes getting up there in years now and I would expect him to stop selling altogether in the next few years. I am sure his business model doesnt fit most folks here, but it has worked for him a long time. And of course it doesnt hurt he is located on the main highway right at the city limit sign. If I was interested in getting into the firewood market, I would probably approach him and try to rent his lot, bring in a processor and a small dump truck and go at it wide open

The reason I ask is if people could pull up a truck and he doesn't have to hand load it and they don't have to hand load it I can see it working out for him. Most of the people I've dealt with would be more likely to pickup if they sit in the vehicle and get a load dropped in the back, scared of a bit of manual labor but wanna burn wood.

One hour according to Google. Always ends up being at least 1 hr and 15 minutes to their door. The way cities are it could be closer to two hours for some people but that hasn't happened yet.

There's no way I could get my 20+ foot bumper pull into these spots. Either a lot of hand work or machinery investment. I've pondered it but the numbers don't make sense yet.

The reason I ask is if people could pull up a truck and he doesn't have to hand load it and they don't have to hand load it I can see it working out for him. Most of the people I've dealt with would be more likely to pickup if they sit in the vehicle and get a load dropped in the back, scared of a bit of manual labor but wanna burn wood.

Stacked a half cord that had to be wheel barrowed around the back of a guys garage in the city Saturday. Nice place, cobblestone driveway. It took an hour and he was happy to pay $240 for the 1/2 cord stacked. Sunday delivered and stacked out a cord in a brick wood bin at a house on the lake, it took an hour and a half to unload and stack, $400 for that job. I'll take those numbers all day.

Get a permit and sell at the campgrounds, those crazy folks will spend $8-10 on a 10lb bundle. At that price you should be able to turn $1k on a cord. I've often thought of looking into what that would take to get the permit and be registered with the state.

Get a permit and sell at the campgrounds, those crazy folks will spend $8-10 on a 10lb bundle. At that price you should be able to turn $1k on a cord. I've often thought of looking into what that would take to get the permit and be registered with the state.
that's what "dreams are made of" ... good luck making a million dollars or a $1000.00 . you get caught with just 1 emerald ash borer bug or any of the other up an coming bugs? well good luck!

Iron man is on track and on target. Firewood for camp grounds can make you a lot of money! Locally sourced wood or heated treated gets you past the invasive species problem in most every state. We sell strictly at Texas State parks for about $1200 a cord....We are doing about $4000 a week

Stacked a half cord that had to be wheel barrowed around the back of a guys garage in the city Saturday. Nice place, cobblestone driveway. It took an hour and he was happy to pay $240 for the 1/2 cord stacked. Sunday delivered and stacked out a cord in a brick wood bin at a house on the lake, it took an hour and a half to unload and stack, $400 for that job. I'll take those numbers all day.

This has little relevance without a location. You may get that in NYC or Boston but it ain't gonna happen in 99% of the country. Particularly when heating oil is $1.50 a gallon and natural gas and propane are also down.

This has little relevance without a location. You may get that in NYC or Boston but it ain't gonna happen in 99% of the country. Particularly when heating oil is $1.50 a gallon and natural gas and propane are also down.

Where is heating oil $1.50? It's $2.50 here, and that's with buying 500 gallons and paying cash. Propane is $3.25/gal.
Gas and diesel are right around $3/gal.

99% of my customers have fireplaces and fire pits. The firewood they buy is purely for recreational purposes and they appreciate a high level of customer service, communication, upfront pricing and eta when I'm in route and a good product that is ready to burn. My goal is to make sure they have a great firewood experience from the delivery to the use of the firewood for their specific application. The firewood I provide them also has a "Satisfaction Guarantee", if they find a few pieces of firewood they don't like I'll swap it out or even replace the whole load (very rare) if that is what it takes. My business is now about 70% repeat customers. I do not target people with woodstoves that need to balance the cost of wood heat over other fuels for home heating. There are plenty of wood suppliers in my area that can beat my price and deliver bulk. My target area is Charlotte and Lake Norman, NC ...... not Boston or NYC....

Where is heating oil $1.50? It's $2.50 here, and that's with buying 500 gallons and paying cash. Propane is $3.25/gal.
valley! you need to remember you live in the free "country of Alaska" and fewer tax's as the rest of the united states! oil payments to it's resident's..... oil/nat. gas and coal with tons of spruce to burn that's why you pay a premium !! you could of coarse always try the "E BLENDS"??? lol

Not sure about HHO, but we paid $1.29 for propane a couple weeks ago IIRC, I could be off by ten cents either way. It's been under a dollar for the last two years when we got a delivery.

I just checked. Contract heating oil in RI starts at $2.05 a gal. The cash delivery guys are usually .30-.50 cts. less for 250 gal drop.

Back