Burning Hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orange Wedge

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if Hemlock is a wood that burns well in an open fireplace? I will be helping a friend take down 12 of them and he wanted to know how it burns...I could not anwser him as I have always burned maple and red oak. Specifically, would Hemlock give off a lot of tar or creosote while burning?
Thanks for any help with this.

Jeff

I've only burned a little Hemlock but I did not find it particularly messy. All this stuff is relative. All the conifers have pitchy sap and quite a few volatiles. Frankly I have NEVER seen a real problem from creosote in an open fireplace-most of the gunk is a consequence of incomplete combustion which requires air restriction to make it a serious problem. Clean the chimney once a year, put up a good screen to catch popping embers and enjoy.:)

I worked with a company in Evergreen, CO for about a week when I was in the state for a wedding. I was suprised when they were splitting pine and spruce for firewood.

"It's all we got" they said. "It works if you dry it well."

Hemlock if fair, as far as heat value goes.

Approximate heat values for common firewood species in Virginia. Based on air-dried, standard
(4’ x 4’ x 8’) cords.
Species Btu/Cord
black locust 26,500,000
hickory 25,400,000
hophornbeam 24,700,000
beech 21,800,000
hard maple 21,800,000
red oak 21,700,000
yellow birch 21,300,000
yellow pine 20,500,000
white ash 20,000,000
white oak 19,200,000
soft maple 19,100,000
black cherry 18,500,000
white birch 18,200,000
sweetgum 18,100,000
elm 17,700,000
yellow poplar 15,900,000
hemlock 15,000,000
red spruce 15,000,000
fir 13,500,000
white pine 13,300,000
basswood 12,600,000

Hey John Paul, keep in mind that pine, spruce and fir are about the only trees that grow up here by Evergreen Co. Well besides aspen. When I was living in Breckenridge we were splitting and selling exclusivly spruce, fir and pine since that was 99% of what we were cutting. For the most part we where just selling 1/2 cords to skiiers who were just trying to make a romantic setting with a fire place after a day on the slopes.

Kenn

Originally posted by OutOnaLimb
Hey John Paul, keep in mind that pine, spruce and fir are about the only trees that grow up here by Evergreen Co.

Well the tone of voice Joey used was more of "DUH! :D

What do you think hardwood would sell for a cord up there? I've been on these storm jobs where good oak and hickory was being ground up, I've often thought of shipping it by the truckload to pine country.

We went to down to Lafayette La, after huricane Lili and brought back a bunch of oak. I sold what I had for $225 a cord, but I was also selling pine and spruce for $165 a cord. Things have changed a lot since two years ago. After the Hayman and other forest fires there has been a lot of fire mitigation work going on and I see ads in the paper everyday selling pine for a lot less than that. Keep in mind that my main business was in Breckenridge which is a ski resort area, so people are a little bit more lax with their money. I did know of one guy up there that has been in business forever and sells alot of Missouri Oak. His name is Doug Tilley out of Fairplay Colorado. He may be interested in getting some from ya. Drop me a line and I can get his number for ya. I buy a lot of young trees that I plan from him.

Kenn

Send me an email and I'll keep you on my list for the next big project.

For that matter, contact TreeJunkei. His uncles company is in KC and they could probably arange current irregular shipments to prime the pipeline, if there is any money for Joe's company in the effort.

Is it worth looking into Brandon? Maybe start out with just roundwood?

Back