burning rail road ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happycamper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my grant pal one told me when he was a kid
thay cut up rail road ties and thay burned them in their wood stove
thay were real poor

I would build with them, but not burn them. There is no amount of wealth that will provide you with intelligence though.:buttkick:

Good way to end up Listening to Buddy Holly Jam with Jimmy Hendrix Live.

Bugs don't chew on 'em for a reason.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

In town here there was a co. that wanted to burn them ties in a co-gen plant.
they were sent packing because of the unknow pollution!!!
Ties have nasties in them and they become very carcinogenic when burnt in a stove.

you'd have to know at least a little about what they were made from and what they were treated with.

Near me is a guy selling (supposedly) ex railway sleepers he claims are all old growth ironbark and untreated. He sells quite a lot and apparently they burn pretty good. He sells them pre-cut but you need to split them

That crap will kill ya...

Build up in a woodstove or fireplace,,plus the fumes...I wouldnt even consider cuttin or milling ties...
Poor vers lazy. Poor is going out and having to struggle with a cross cut and axe all day long for yours days work...Lazy is havin it already in cants for you to cut into lengths... :angry2:

sue go right ahead,burn them in your house. just send any family members packing along with the pets. tell em where to identify the body.

Back