Burning Spruce ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWnewguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a question for the guys out here on the west coast. I have a bunch of Spruce from blowdowns around here and was wondering how it is to burn. I am originally from the East coast and would never have considered burning any kind of evergreen. But every one out here loves the Doug Fir so I guees you burn what you got. I think it is White Spruce, but only heard that from a neighbor. Anyway, if anyone else has some experience burning it let me know.

I have a question for the guys out here on the west coast. I have a bunch of Spruce from blowdowns around here and was wondering how it is to burn. I am originally from the East coast and would never have considered burning any kind of evergreen. But every one out here loves the Doug Fir so I guees you burn what you got. I think it is White Spruce, but only heard that from a neighbor. Anyway, if anyone else has some experience burning it let me know.

I've burned lots and lots of white spruce in Alaska. It's fine, but birch has half again the btu/cord. Also, the spruce will definitely creosote your pipe out, so you have to poke it now and then. Once a year was all I ever did it though. Should be done routinely at any rate, IMO. My cat stove doesn't deposit nearly as much as my old cheapie.

If you have an EPA wood stove, or burn it hot, you shouldn't be any different than any other type of wood. It has to be seasoned well, and burn it hot, It'll be okay.

You'll burn more volume than you are used to. Once dry, spruce is fairly light weight. I split a couple cord of green spruce for my neighbor last fall. It was stringy and had to go all the way through the wedge.

Harry K

Spruce (or pine for that matter) splits much better when dry. When splitting, position the log so you don't split through the knots if possible. The knots usually go all the way to the center, so split the wood in wedges with each knot completely contained in one wedge. Far less stringy mess that way.

Pete

Spruce (or pine for that matter) splits much better when dry. When splitting, position the log so you don't split through the knots if possible. The knots usually go all the way to the center, so split the wood in wedges with each knot completely contained in one wedge. Far less stringy mess that way.

Pete

I agree on the knots, but I'm not sure white spruce splits better when dry. I never really noticed much difference. Paper birch splits much easier when green, especially if it's cold. Pinyon pine splits much easier when green, emory oak much better when dry, I think it's species specific.

Latest posts

Back