Burning tulip popular

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRESTLINE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a question for the experts. Does anyone burn tulip popular in their OWB stoves? I normally burn gum with a little southern yellow pine mixed in. I'm running out of gum but have plenty of large tall tulip popular available. All replies appreciated.

yea, it will burn fast tho. shame to smoke um if they live prolly worth more as timber. don't ya got understory trees in um like beech ya could use? be more heat any way.

Mostly pine here. There is a small variety of hardwood, some oak, hickory, and elm. Like I said before, plenty of popular. Our boiler is homemade and has a grate with a cleanout door at the bottom of the firebox so I don't burn much oak and hickory because of the large amount of coals that they produce. The gum burns up almost completely and produce small amounts of bed coals and ash, (only have to clean out about once a week).

I burn quite a bit of poplar in my owb in the fall and spring when temps aren't too cool. Not this time of year though, as it burns up way too fast.

yea, it will burn fast tho. shame to smoke um if they live prolly worth more as timber. don't ya got understory trees in um like beech ya could use? be more heat any way.

Yup. Definitely should be managed for timber if form and site are good. The poplar I burn is tops, culls and yard trees. I don't go out of my way for it, but if it is free and easy, it does produce heat.

Well said .I'll burn anything but I prefer to cut wood that is already dead. I leave as many healthy trees standing as I can

Thanks guys, I have some cut but haven't burn any yet. I burn 40" long wood (firebox is 26" in dia X 44" deep) in our stove so burn times are fairly long with most any wood.

It's decent wood once dry. Cut green is is real wet and juicy. I call it "ash lite". Burning it even semi green sucks, once it is really dry and split, it burns hot, just not for very long. Dramatic weight difference between green and dry.

I've burned a lot of it - our property had been logged before we bought it and they left a lot of poplar that had grown straight and tall on fairly steep slopes. Once it lost the wind protection of the other trees a lot of it fell in subsequent storms. It does burn well, just not that heavy so burn times are shorter. But it's a dream to split and stack, and it's great for starting fires. I also like to throw in a split of poplar to kick up secondary combustion on a fire that's slowing down. It's good stuff to have around.

Someone once told me that poplar was popular for use in wood fired cook stoves, but I don't know if that's true.

....and don't forget that bark. Crummy old poplar bark you say? Met a guy a few months ago that took poplar bark from sawlogs at a landing, filled a gooseneck trailer and got $5,000 for it in Spruce Pine( so he said anyway ). It is used as siding. Must be handled with care, never done it myself ( perhaps I should, eh... )

As firewood, there is usually a point at about 3-4 months after felling, where the bark gets a bit slimy but hasn't rotted yet ( turns from greenish white to brown ). If you can wait to buck the logs the bark will fall off easily and makes long term storage easier. Can still use said bark as nice kindling. You can usually find some this way in landing areas or tops left behind.

....and don't forget that bark. Crummy old poplar bark you say? Met a guy a few months ago that took poplar bark from sawlogs at a landing, filled a gooseneck trailer and got $5,000 for it in Spruce Pine( so he said anyway ). It is used as siding. Must be handled with care, never done it myself ( perhaps I should, eh... )

As firewood, there is usually a point at about 3-4 months after felling, where the bark gets a bit slimy but hasn't rotted yet ( turns from greenish white to brown ). If you can wait to buck the logs the bark will fall off easily and makes long term storage easier. Can still use said bark as nice kindling. You can usually find some this way in landing areas or tops left behind.

I know that bark is nice and uniform and can be flat in big sheets, but having a hard time wrapping me brane around making siding out of it. Maybe it is ground up and manufactured into it?

I know that bark is nice and uniform and can be flat in big sheets, but having a hard time wrapping me brane around making siding out of it. Maybe it is ground up and manufactured into it?

I assumed this was for log cabins, which of course the main logs are also a traditional favorite due to the ease of working and shaping the wood.

I doubt that they grind it, otherwise they could just toss it on the truck and not care about how they handle it. He said one really had to baby it, which I assume means proper lengths, no cracks etc. I'm sure someone can fill us in.

I've seen it quite a bit over the last few years, and the market is starting to catch on. Trees are harvested in the spring when the bark can be easily peeled. It is cut into squares- 12"x12”, 18x18, 24x24 etc. and then nailed on to walls. I've seen interior and exterior walls done and it provides an interesting look.
In the right areas it can be rather lucrative adding opportunities for income from poplar saw logs.

Interesting. I didn't know they used it for log structures. It's really nice for shaping and works great with molding planes, but I've found it rots easy. I generally don't use poplar for exterior wood.

I've seen it quite a bit over the last few years, and the market is starting to catch on. Trees are harvested in the spring when the bark can be easily peeled. It is cut into squares- 12"x12”, 18x18, 24x24 etc. and then nailed on to walls. I've seen interior and exterior walls done and it provides an interesting look.
In the right areas it can be rather lucrative adding opportunities for income from poplar saw logs.

Well, I got some juicy ones here that were on my bucket list anyway, and I can buy a spud peeler tool. I need to find out which mills want it and some more exact criteria of how they want it.

Latest posts

Back