Burning Walnut??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbull

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does walnut make good firewood? I have about two cords and didn't know if it was good to burn, when seasoned, of course. If this is the wrong forum for this thread, feel free to move it. Thanks.
Brandon

Walnut is fine-It isn't as dense as some other hardwoods( it is denser than some) but makes perfectly acceptable firewood.

I removed a couple of walnuts that would have been good for milling.By this I mean they were straight and free from defects as far as I could tell. I'm just not sure how to go about doing it. I don't have the equipment to load a long spar and haul it to the mill. I'm not familiar with the process either though. Could anyone enlighten me?

Good walnut has some value even in shorter lengths/quantities. Check around with local woodworkers. They could give you some insight.

Around here, Walnut (in workable shape) is rare.

I burn some Black Walnut that is a result of thinning and cleanup on a stand of it. I would rate it as a medium quality for firewood. One unique trait oldtimers comment on and my experience bears out is it makes for "- alot of pretty white ash".

There is not much you can do,with the tops of black walnut,other than fire wood.They may be useful to an artsy craftsy type wood worker,but not much else.I've seen a lot of them,whole trees ,get sliced and diced,because of no market[ it's all in the geography].Now,a 24" veneer log,is another story.

Redbull, walnut is not native here. It is prized for cabinet work. I remember Dad bringing a milled piece back to B.C. from Ontario. He put it aside for some special project. I found it and used it for a shop table, running the screws from the top down. Took a lot to set him off but that did it.

Redbull, contact Joe Hendrickson at hendrickson tree care. I understand he has a saw mill of his own and may be interested in it. Hed probably come and get it too.

Okie,
Good luck. Working w/ Joe over the past few years, I've seen this situation come up quite a bit. He's usually too busy, :rolleyes: and has more than enough of his own. He's running a low production mill outfit. Logs wind up going rotten before he can saw them. Pretty doubtful to get him to pick them up.(unless your paying $90 hr) or you happen to be Ryan L&T.

My brother's been running walnut up to St Joe on occasion. Veneer quality can really bring top dollar if you can find them. If you had worthy logs to be picked up on the way he might be interested. Logs must be minimum 6 feet and at least 12 dia on both ends.

If your ever come across the situation again give me a call.

Splitting walnut is really nice. It almost falls apart. You can one-hand it with a hatchet pretty much.

As far as milling it, give Woodmizer, Inc a call. They have a network listing of all their mill owners, all over the world. Theses guys, who choose to be part of this listing, do so because of the occasional phone call it brings them to go out and do custom milling onsite. WoodMizer's in-line is 1-800-553-0182.

Also, check in at your local woodworking shop, local lumberyard, or exotic wood supplier. The Woodmizer bandmill owners tend to network into those places. Check around. Woodmizers are fairly abundant.

Could someone please explain Veneer quality to me. I'd hate for someone to waste a trip for wood that's not the quality they expected.Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back