Buy it?? Need quick saw advice! (Husky 288)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ex Umbra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Crew,

I'm posting this for one of my best friends. He's had a HECK of a run of serious bad luck lately and now his saw blew up and he does not feel like it's worth it to rebuild it. He's way behind on firewood and it's his family's only source of heat. We need some quick solid info from you pro's on here . :numberone: Thanks in advance!:cheers:

Two questions:
First:

Should He buy this saw? (His money is more than tight but he's in a bind not having a saw.)
He found for sale a:

Husky 288,
In really nice shape. Saw looks nice overall, pulled the muffler and looked at the piston- piston looks new, lathe turning tool marks are still crisp on the piston.
It's thought to be a 2002 model. Serial # 6230217. For sale on consignment.
$550 out the door.

Is this a great saw?
That a good price?
Any known issues?
Reliable??
Etc,etc...???

Second Question:

He has a 041 that has sat on the shelf for a while. Needs to be rebuilt. Supposedly it was rebuilt but then blew again.... suspected "air leak."

What would it cost to have the 041 rebuilt and made right as rain by one of you top shelf saw guys? Turn around time? (He can use my 044 in the interim.)

Thanks. You folk have always been a huge help to me and impressively knowledgable. I have bought two awesome saws from guys here that were better than described- perfect. Great, knowledgable and honest folks!
Thanks so much for your time and help.
Umbra

I used to think it was at minimum "interesting" that guys on here recommended 70cc + saws back when I was shopping for my first REAL saw, for a "firewood" saw.
I ended up with a great 036. It was stolen. Then I bought a cream puff 044 on here. Now, I'd not have a less than 70cc saw, unless I was climbing tall trees for a living!

Thanks crew!

I don't know Randy's availability or current cost, but he rebuilt my 064 about 3-4 years ago and it still runs better than when it was new. Mastermind rebuilds are well worth the cost in my opinion.

The 288 was one of the best saws ever made and in my 20's I cut lots of wood with one but now at almost 40 I can't lug one very long. There are lots of good saws out there. Just find one from a person that is trusted in the saw market.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

That is a lot of bucks for a saw that old, it would take a special low hour all original gently used 288 to be worth that much to me. I have bought many saws that size for under $400., most of them came with extra bars and chains.

If he needs a saw for firewood a 288 is a lot to lug around all day. Great saw but big. Why not a Echo 590 for 400 bucks with a warranty. There's guys on here that swear by them.
I know nothing about echo. I have big wood to cut. Don't like small saws
Just my $.02 on the 288: It's a 1996 saw ... week 23 ... saw #217. Yes, it is a good saw, but that's a price I'd walk away from.
It's in great shape. Very little use. What would you think is reasonable price?

It's almost a 20 year old saw? I wouldn't pay $500 for it. Either way if it were used (for 20 years) or not used often (which could be worse at times), I would pay 200-250 at most for something that old(in great shape) Especially at a consignment shop, they price high to get there cut so there's a lot of room on the price. I would hit them at $200 (start it before)and tell them the facts you learned about the age of the saw because I'm sure they don't know unless it's at a saw shop on consignment.

as said above, its a big saw for strictly firewood duty. A 70cc saw with 20" bar and a 40-50cc for small stuff covers 95% of my use. If that 288 is VERY nice and has a high-top cover i would consider it, but i have an addiction.

It's almost a 20 year old saw? I wouldn't pay $500 for it. Either way if it were used (for 20 years) or not used often (which could be worse at times), I would pay 200-250 at most for something that old(in great shape) Especially at a consignment shop, they price high to get there cut so there's a lot of room on the price. I would hit them at $200 (start it before)and tell them the facts you learned about the age of the saw because I'm sure they don't know unless it's at a saw shop on consignment.
If i could find a nice $200 288xp i would go buy a lotto ticket cuz that would be my lucky day.

That is a lot of bucks for a saw that old, it would take a special low hour all original gently used 288 to be worth that much to me. I have bought many saws that size for under $400., most of them came with extra bars and chains.[/QUOTEI think it's high also. Mechanic friend looked at it said it probably had less than 10 hours on it. Did not think the piston had even seated yet. But still high for saw. May make offer. Any price you think reasonable?

If he needs a saw for firewood a 288 is a lot to lug around all day. Great saw but big. Why not a Echo 590 for 400 bucks with a warranty. There's guys on here that swear by them.

That sounds like a winner to me, zoro has been running some one day coupons lately, a couple weeks ago they had one that brought it down to about $300. If money is tight that seems like a no brainer to me.

If i could find a nice $200 288xp i would go buy a lotto ticket cuz that would be my lucky day.
It's the saw shop that sold it originally. They know me well but it's still just business to them. Will make them an offer may be. But don't think they'll sell it. I can fix a almost anything but I don't know how to test chain saws for air leaks. Sucks when they pull air in from some source and damage piston and cylinder. I have an 041 xp 1988 that I put cylinder and piston on but 100.00 fix did not last long. Would like to know more about repair. I have plenty of repairs. Most shops techs are not very reliable.

If it's in a saw shop, then they know what they have, but if it were in a consignment/thrift shop they may not and that's where my price came in. But I still would not pay $550 for a used 20 year old saw regardless and still hit em low and see where they counter.

Latest posts

Back