Buy it?? Need quick saw advice! (Husky 288)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the saw shop that sold it originally. They know me well but it's still just business to them. Will make them an offer may be. But don't think they'll sell it. I can fix a almost anything but I don't know how to test chain saws for air leaks. Sucks when they pull air in from some source and damage piston and cylinder. I have an 041 xp 1988 that I put cylinder and piston on but 100.00 fix did not last long. Would like to know more about repair. I have plenty of repairs. Most shops techs are not very reliable.
i guess im confused why you are answering questions from TN about the OP's post who appears to from PNW as though you are the one who posted it.

Plus one for the 288 being too large for general firewood cutting. Are the trees/is the wood large enough to justify it? If not, and money is that tight, I say look for low hour Makita 6421 via Home Depot.

I'm also confused as to which member is actually looking at the 288. In the PNW, a 288 might be needed. In TN, it might be overkill.

Damn, just looking at the specs on that saw makes me tired. 16.7 lbs with out a bar and chain/fuel & oil. But 83cc makes me smile

I'm also confused as to which member is actually looking at the 288. In the PNW, a 288 might be needed. In TN, it might be overkill.

JDG is in TN and is the friend I was speaking of in my OP.
He just registered here....that was his first post and He's new to forums in general.
He's the one that needs to buy a saw pretty quick.

And I guess I need to update my profile.
I'm no longer in WA state- I'm back in TN myself. Sorry for any confusion.
I made the original post- but feel free to address any replies to JDG, He's not hijacking the post.

Thanks for all the advice and info guys!
Umbra

Ps- who are the go-to saw builders here?

He just registered here....that was his first post and He's new to forums in general.

I made the original post- but feel free to address any replies to JDG, He's not hijacking the post.

Umbra

Aaahhhhh the confusion is cleared up, Welcome to AS JDG.

I think if your looking for new and on the lesser price range with a good warranty, I would second the Echo CS-590 BUT, you have to buy it from an echo authorized retailer for the warranty to be valid, go on there website where you can read it first. It's 59.8cc comes with a 20" bar $399 home cheapo and some argue you can use harbor freight 20% off coupon towards it, but I dont think so, but it's up to the store to decide they can only say no if you ask.

Umbra

Thanks for the clarification!

Umbra

Thanks for the info. Now I'll repeat myself....the 288 sounds like overkill for firewood cutting in TN.

The two saw builders I would choose are tlandrum/Terry and Mastermind/Randy. Both are in TN. Terry is a former logger who knows where to draw the line between what keeps a modified work saw durable and when that little "extra" isn't worth the risk (he also modded my Jonsered 2171). Randy shares much info here regarding his builds. That does NOT mean the other established builders shouldn't be considered.

It's the saw shop that sold it originally. They know me well but it's still just business to them. Will make them an offer may be. But don't think they'll sell it. I can fix a almost anything but I don't know how to test chain saws for air leaks. Sucks when they pull air in from some source and damage piston and cylinder. I have an 041 xp 1988 that I put cylinder and piston on but 100.00 fix did not last long. Would like to know more about repair. I have plenty of repairs. Most shops techs are not very reliable.
Not 041 but 254 but piston and cylinder replaced and happened again. I really enjoyed that saw.

A 254 is a great saw and all you'll need for firewood duties. I have four of them and two more on the way.

I will be posting a 044 tomorrow if your interested! If you wanna send me a pm tomorrow maybe I can line you up with something that is a little more practical then a 288.

You can also try @rattler362 or @TermiteBuffet for two more good builders in NC!

Thanks for the info guys!
I'm bringing it to JDG's attention.

Latest posts

Back