Buying a 60cc saw Echo CS600P ( new $500) - Want 20 years of easy starting - 5hrd/yr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echo600

Reaction score
I am ready to buy an new 60cc saw, the ECHO CS600P for $500, that I will use to cut, a few fair sized hardwoods a year.
I want it to do this for 10 or 20 years , with easy starting. I do not need it be the absolute highest revving in the class.
(however I hear its neck in neck with the more popular Stihl and Husky, ).
As long as it, out cuts the poulan wild thing or poulan wildly useless thing or poulan wild timewaster thing.
Any reason why I should not buy it, besides saying its an Echo.

Also should I open the high limit setting a 1/16 of a turn from factory setting to rich it up abit?
How is it broken in?
Does it need high octane - I don't think so.
Empty the gas or use fuel stabilizer to store it?
Can I use a different oil than Echo brand, maybe I should stick with Echo?

Any comeents, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Chris

Probably have better luck posting this in the chainsaw thread, or a moderator may move it. Good luck on the 20 year plan.

I was thinking that since I only use it 2 or 3 times a year, and cut down a maybe 2 maples or elms a year, that it would last the 20 years, if not I should just buy the cheap
$100 40cc poulans and throw them away every 3 years.

I was thinking that since I only use it 2 or 3 times a year, and cut down a maybe 2 maples or elms a year, that it would last the 20 years, if not I should just buy the cheap $100 40cc poulans and throw them away every 3 years.
If that's all you cut...a Wild Thing would last you a long time...REALLY...!!!
Whatever...when you're done cutting...drain the gas...then run the carb dry..!!

I wouldn't put $600+ into a saw to only use a couple times a year.

But if you do buy the Echo...it should last you the 20 years...@ 2-3 times a year...IMHO
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
No real reason to not buy it if you like it. It will last as you plan.

Won't hurt to open it slightly from the factory and watch how it runs
Normal use to break in, just no long periods of wide open throttle OUT OF THE WOOD
I use a little stabilizer and remix or use my mix in 60 days. I run my saws out of gas for long storage
Yes you can use any quality name brand 2 stroke oil.

i had a 600p,, it woke up big time with a MM and retuning,,,, i use the echo power blend in everything and never had any issues yet,,,,,
if you don't want to spend that much there is a guy in the classifieds that had a cs-400 at a fantastic price,, no more then what you will be cutting that would be a real good saw,,,,, he was only wanting 125.00 for it,, which is a steal for it

i had a 600p,, it woke up big time with a MM and retuning,,,, i use the echo power blend in everything and never had any issues yet,,,,,
if you don't want to spend that much there is a guy in the classifieds that had a cs-400 at a fantastic price,, no more then what you will be cutting that would be a real good saw,,,,, he was only wanting 125.00 for it,, which is a steal for it
It's still there in classifieds..!! And seller is..."mwebe"...well respected member..!!

A SUPER good deal...!!! And price includes shipping..??
:cheers:
J2F

Thanks for the info guys. I don't use it often, but my not okay polulan farm hand 44cc, started acting up in the bottom beefy part of the large Elm. I do not think 40cc will
do it. Thus the 60cc, like using a good drill to bore large holes through wood, you need some power to do it.
I like the ideal of something like this saw that will start well every year for years and the do a bit of heavy cutting once in a while. Something easy to start, this has a electronic ignition to hopefully make starting easy? Professional air cleaner ,, also better for running and starting ,and maybe not super high compression that might make it fussy on gas, want super high octane gas all the time.?

Would the cs400 have enough power?

thanks for the comments

dealer

Thanks for the info guys. I don't use it often, but my not okay polulan farm hand 44cc, started acting up in the bottom beefy part of the large Elm. I do not think 40cc will
do it. Thus the 60cc, like using a good drill to bore large holes through wood, you need some power to do it.
I like the ideal of something like this saw that will start well every year for years and the do a bit of heavy cutting once in a while. Something easy to start, this has a electronic ignition to hopefully make starting easy? Professional air cleaner ,, also better for running and starting ,and maybe not super high compression that might make it fussy on gas, want super high octane gas all the time.?

Would the cs400 have enough power?

thanks for the comments

Are you getting it from a dealer? Have them set it up for you first before using it, and take it easy for several tanks at first. I have one that was wayy to lean as it shipped, learned my lesson there.

As to starting, yes, you hardly will find an easier starting saw.

Are you getting it from a dealer? Have them set it up for you first before using it, and take it easy for several tanks at first. I have one that was wayy to lean as it shipped, learned my lesson there.

As to starting, yes, you hardly will find an easier starting saw.

What he said is good advice.

I am ready to buy an new 60cc saw, the ECHO CS600P for $500, that I will use to cut, a few fair sized hardwoods a year.
I want it to do this for 10 or 20 years , with easy starting. I do not need it be the absolute highest revving in the class.
As long as it, out cuts the poulan wild thing or poulan wildly useless thing or poulan wild timewaster thing.

Also should I open the high limit setting a 1/16 of a turn from factory setting to rich it up abit?
How is it broken in?

Thanks...Chris

I have a new CS600P that I will sell you cheaper. It has never had gas or oil in it. I bought it the other day, off ebay, then got a really good deal on another new one with a longer (24) bar, so I had to buy it. :msp_biggrin:

I used to have a low opinion of Echo. After wrenching on a few and running them in some decent sized hard wood I have revamped my opinion. Good, tough, reliable saws. Maybe not so...classy? as a Husky or Stihl. but still good values.

How is it broken in?

Thanks...Chris

Echo saws will run on 87 octane gas, but the owners manual says 89 octane and that's what I usually use -- except for the first tank every year, when I run 92 octane in all my small engines.

The best oil I've found is Mystic "Sea and Snow". It actually has the JASO FD certification seal on the label. Almost nobody else does that. (I was looking for 76 Airkool HP oil when I found the Mystic S&S) And it's cheap. :) G-Oil biodegradable synthetic 2-cycle claims to exceed JASO FD specs, but they don't have the seal on the label so it's not certified. You can find G-Oil at Walmart; I've used it in my string trimmer and I like the way it doesn't smoke much. Make sure you get the TC formulation (small bottles) and not the TC-W3 (quarts)

Just be aware that Echo stops selling consumable parts (like air cleaners and anti-vibe bushings) after about 20 years :angry:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back