Buying a new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wafi zarudin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Alright guys I'm sure you get this a lot but i figured I would join a forum and ask the real guys that actually know by experience and are out there cutting all the time.

Buying my first chainsaw here is what I'm looking for.

- USED USED USED Price range anywhere from 150 - 300 price range (mint condition price, good condition price, okay condition price and it runs price.

- Must be a stihl (ive done my fair share of research and plus i have a full stihl service dealer where I am located.)

- Not too old but not brand new

-3.5 hp - 4hp

- able to run a 20" bar without being under powered (I will normally run a 16" bar most of the time)

- Most importantly rugged, reliable, also easy to work on.

- I will be using this chainsaw at least once a week.

Most of the help will be guys that know the prices of used stihl chainsaw that can point me in the right directions as far as models, I just don't know if i want to go to the zero models cause they are seriously getting really old lol.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm thinking either a MS 280 or a MS 290? Does this sound about right for what im looking for?

If this is a serious question than most likely no.

Done a little more research are the 028av super models, still worth 200 dollars? guy says it starts up first pull... Are they in the same power range im looking at and will it run a 20" bar without feeling under powered or bogging down? thanks sorry so many questions Just wanna buy a good decent chainsaw for a first time. Some thing that will last me half my life LMAO.

Oh yea i was thinking i dont think i can get a MS280 or the farm boss for under $300 used? Im not sure thats why im on here!

Yup, it was a joke. I thought you might be from the jungle. We're just country people and don't know these things.

That 028 AV was my first saw. It was around thirty years ago, but if I still had it, I would still clear fencerows with it, guaranteed. Get away from it, though and look for an 026 or a 346xp them are on craigslist all the time running condition, and easily for 300 bucks. Just hang around us and you can make about anything run.

I'm thinking either a MS 280 or a MS 290? Does this sound about right for what im looking for?
Where are you from, and what type/size of wood are you primarily cutting? That will help in determining what you need in a saw... 026/MS260 is a 50cc saw and will pull a 20" but it may be a little underpowered. A 16" will work better on that saw. I had an 029 Super for many years and it would pull a 20" no problem, but it was a little bulky for a 60cc saw. Stihl, Dolmar, Husqvarna, Jonsered, and Echo all make some good professional quality saws, so don't be afraid to open your mind to other brands besides Stihl... :rolleyes:

Do a lot of reading and keep an eye on the Tradin' Post on this site. I sold a (Dolmar) Makita 6401 w/ a 84cc big bore kit for $350, and a 272XP Husqvarna for $325 recently. If you're patient you can get a lot of saw for $300.

I'm sure in a few months this will all seem pretty silly, once CAD sets in... BTW, Welcome to the forum! :)

Look for a 034,036 or 044

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

X2... 034 Super, 036/MS 360, or 044 would be my pick as well.

These can be found for $300 (some under - some over).

The 270, 280, and 290 are all homeowners saws with a clamshell case. To be using it as often as you are, I would suggest a Pro style build. A minimum of 024/026/MS 260. .

you say you will be using it once a week. Is that all day on the day you are using it? Are you blocking firewood?
I would suggest a 260/261 if you want something to last for a long time.

If this is a serious question than most likely no.

Done a little more research are the 028av super models, still worth 200 dollars? guy says it starts up first pull... Are they in the same power range im looking at and will it run a 20" bar without feeling under powered or bogging down? thanks sorry so many questions Just wanna buy a good decent chainsaw for a first time. Some thing that will last me half my life LMAO.

Oh yea i was thinking i dont think i can get a MS280 or the farm boss for under $300 used? Im not sure thats why im on here!

I found a farm boss ms290 for 275 used there is one for 250 in excellent condition.

Yup, it was a joke. I thought you might be from the jungle. We're just country people and don't know these things.

That 028 AV was my first saw. It was around thirty years ago, but if I still had it, I would still clear fencerows with it, guaranteed. Get away from it, though and look for an 026 or a 346xp them are on craigslist all the time running condition, and easily for 300 bucks. Just hang around us and you can make about anything run.

arent the 026 a lower model than the o28 super?
I'm the reason im staying with stihl is because there is a full service dealer here.

Look for a 034,036 or 044

Sent from my GT-S7500T using Tapatalk 2

Arent those old saws from stihl like the 0 models? are those pro models? is the 028 av super a pro model? how do i determine if they are pro models?
X2... 034 Super, 036/MS 360, or 044 would be my pick as well.

These can be found for $300 (some under - some over).

The 270, 280, and 290 are all homeowners saws with a clamshell case. To be using it as often as you are, I would suggest a Pro style build. A minimum of 024/026/MS 260. .

How do i determine a pro style build? I was under the impression that the 024 026 and ms260 are all not pro builds? the ms 280 and 290 are far bigger saws than those you listed of the pro models? im not completely sure. I would actually want to go with something closer to the 4hp range even a little over would be nice that is a pro quality meaning commercial quality?

you say you will be using it once a week. Is that all day on the day you are using it? Are you blocking firewood?
I would suggest a 260/261 if you want something to last for a long time.

atleast once a week all day, sometimes even 2 - 3 times a week all day. THIS SAW IS GONNA GET A BEATING hence i dont wanna buy a new saw.

New question adding also,

What are pro model stihls? how do I determine if its a pro model vs home vs ranch vs whatever.
I'm looking for comercial grade stihl saw from 3.5 - 4hp that can run 20" bars. Sorry guys my heart is set on stihl just because most of my friends work at the stihl service.

I found a farm boss ms290 for 275 used there is one for 250 in excellent condition.

arent the 026 a lower model than the o28 super?
I'm the reason im staying with stihl is because there is a full service dealer here.

Arent those old saws from stihl like the 0 models? are those pro models? is the 028 av super a pro model? how do i determine if they are pro models?

How do i determine a pro style build? I was under the impression that the 024 026 and ms260 are all not pro builds? the ms 280 and 290 are far bigger saws than those you listed of the pro models? im not completely sure. I would actually want to go with something closer to the 4hp range even a little over would be nice that is a pro quality meaning commercial quality?

atleast once a week all day, sometimes even 2 - 3 times a week all day. THIS SAW IS GONNA GET A BEATING hence i dont wanna buy a new saw.
http://www.getsaws.com/S_specs.html

Stihl Pro saws

026/MS260 - 50cc
036/MS360, 361, 362 - 60cc
044/MS440, 441 - 70cc

For your wants and needs I'd stick with a saw in the 60-70cc class. In your budget you'll probably end up with an older saw like an 036 or 044. They are great saws.

Non Pro saws

025/MS250, 270, 290/029, 310/031, 390/039 -

To be honest, if once a week/ all day use is your intention, I would definately look at a new saw. That amount of cutting warrents a new saw. No idea if you have experience at rebuilding saws, but used equipment, irrespective of how good it looks, is always prone to early failure! If you don't buy from a experienced person the chances are high that you might get garbage!

First off I would contact one of the well respected rebuilders or dealers here at this site to see what they have. Names like "nmurph, tladrum, etc." guarentee integrity! I would without a doubt buy from one of those fellows!

Second, if you don't find a product you like I would buy a brand new saw of known quality. Brand names I trust and use are:
Dolmar=Makita, Efco=Oleo Mac, Echo=Shindaiwa, Husqvarna=Jonsered=Red Max=Zenoah, Solo, Stihl, Tanaka=Hitachi

What would I buy on a budget?
For 60cc:
Echo 590 (~400$), Dolmar 6100(~500$), Echo 600/620(~550$), Husqvarna 555(~600€)
For 50cc:
Poulan Pro 5020(~200$, thnaks for the head up ctyank!), Dolmar 510/5105, Echo 510/520/530, Husqvarna 545

Good luck!

If power-output is a big decision-factor for buying a saw, be advised that stihl writes some fiction. Let's not get hung up here on how stihl forces you to go to local dealer for parts- IOW minimizes your options totally.

And ... stick around here enough, and you'll understand why co-dependency with a saw dealer can be easily avoided. And whiy it should.

Latest posts

Back