buying a Stihl from authorized dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one dealer near me that when I ask the out the door price it's always been 10% below msrp. They don't haggle on saws they just offer the discount up front. The other stihl dealers around won't budge. They get none of my business if I can help it.

I find that reverse psychology with how I deal with customers. If you demand a discount or hint that that's the only way you will purchase from me, I am inclined to NOT give you a discount. If you are a good customer who doesn't ask for a discount, I am inclined to want to give you a discount. I guess I want the discount to be a gift from me, not a demand by the customer. So much of the "wheelin and dealin" aspect of buying and selling comes down to the personal interaction between the two parties.

Stihl has those big rectangle, laminated price tags. They are on the machine, so don't ask "What's my price?" The price is the price, if you don't like it, that is not a problem, just do not make a scene out of it, and move on. Maybe we're not the store for you, and you are not the customer for us. No hard feelings. I don't give discounts in the form of currency. If you buy from us, your equipment will be repaired by top notch techs that do it the correct way up to the Manu. specs. We may help with taking quick looks w/o charging diagnostic time, give tips, do minor adjustments, give information, and show you how to operate the unit and prevent future mistakes. These things should be considered as discounts. This should be of value. If it is not, and your only concern is price, then do not come to our store. There is a reason why Home Depot, Lowes, TSC and so forth exists.

I think you carried it a step too far. The husky dealer sells me loops of chain for less than it appears on their website and without asking.

Every merchant and consumer is entitled to do what they want. There's just no reason to cause a scene and act like a fool about it. If the terms simply isn't to your liking, go somewhere else. Nobody cares.

every merchant and consumer is entitled to do what they want. There's just no reason to cause a scene and act like a fool about it. If the terms simply isn't to your liking, go somewhere else. Nobody cares.
baaammmm!!!!!!

You want a deal on a stihl, buy a used one from a known long term member here off the auctions/classifieds.

I paid MSRP at the local Stihl dealer a couple of years ago for an MS260 Pro; the discount came later in free safety and maintenance tips, instructions, and minor service on that saw and three other saws bought used. Dollar value for these freebies would easily be $200. Pretty sure the Husky dealer across town does the same thing for loyal customers.

I've never asked for a discount or special treatment...I just have gotten some really good discounts over the years. Maybe it's a way of showing appreciation for being a good customer? I'm not sure, but it's the only place i buy any of my chainsaw, cut off saws,
Stihl Kombi attachments and farm supplies.
I've never been someone that haggles...I just expect the first price or marked price to be the best price.
If someone asks me for a discount in my business...(it's not selling chainsaws) it's somewhat offensive...
Do you think i marked the price up to try to rip you off?

Discounts can be had at our place without much effort. The owner gives me A LOT of latitude when I am working with the customers. I order the stuff fairly often, so I know what it costs. Even though it is the owners money I bargain with, as long as we don't lose money, he would rather move the product. I will say that if I feel like someone is wasting my time, being a tightwad, or is otherwise aggravating, the price will be retail and the freebies zero. Customers I know on a first name basis almost always get a deal, and service times get rounded down.

Dealer I go thru always comes down on the sticker price. Says on that saw, then checks his paperwork, I can do this...x amount. Always lower than what the tag says.

Around these parts some dealers will work with you on price. they will always throw it some freebies. I shop around and buy from the cheapest dealer. I am not loyal to any one dealer and do all my own repairs (with help of friends and fellow members). I dont think there is a problem asking what the bottom dollar is........ We do it on cars we do it buying houses why not saws or power tools. If the dealer cant budge on the price its no big deal i understand they need to make money too.

I walked into a Stihl dealer one time with the cash in hand to buy a 660 for MSRP and the dealer talked me out of it. LOL he told me it was more saw than i needed and could handle........ I am really glad he did because i went to another dealer and bought a 660R for 200$ less than he wanted for the standard model.

Good dealers are hard to find, I went to one dealer with my 088 nitro saw with a new bar to get a chain made for it and the guy behind the counter wanted to sell me semi chisel safety chain! No wonder I can't win races....:dizzy:

Back