Buying a used splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goof008

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am picking it up tomorrow and know I need/should perform some general maintenance on it like changing the engine oil. How do I know what type of hydraulic oil is in it? I'm not familiar with systems like this. I know even if you drain the trans fluid from a car, you still have a lot left in the trans. Is a splitter the same way? Are the pumps self priming? Is there one type of hydraulic oil that mixes better with the others if I can't determine what is in it? Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to mess anything up.

if you drain what's in there, you can add what you want. i use DEX III non-detergent transmission fluid. i wouldn't worry about any small amounts left in the system once you have drained it.

think of a place to put a filter on the return line to keep your oil clean.

enjoy your new toy.

I am picking it up tomorrow and know I need/should perform some general maintenance on it like changing the engine oil. How do I know what type of hydraulic oil is in it? I'm not familiar with systems like this. I know even if you drain the trans fluid from a car, you still have a lot left in the trans. Is a splitter the same way? Are the pumps self priming? Is there one type of hydraulic oil that mixes better with the others if I can't determine what is in it? Sorry for so many questions, I just don't want to mess anything up.

Pumps self priming? If the splitter is properly designed, the pump is lower than the tank and thus always has oil (as long as there is any in the tank). If the pump is higher than the tank, it may self destruct. It only needs a few seconds running dry to do so.

Harry K

I guess I didn't ask the question right. If I drain the oil and put in new, do I have to do anything to the pump to get it to draw, and if I empty the tank, can I put what ever hydraulic fluid in (prob. Dex III) without worrying about it not mixing well with what is left in the lines/pump.

It can be done.

You have to think this one out pretty well.
First warm up the engine, and maybe change it's oil while you are at it.

With a warm engine that will start easily, you can change almost all the hydraulic oil including the lines and cylinder:

dis-connect the return line to the tank and get it to a handy bucket to catch the old oil. change all the oil in the tank. Then set your engine to a low speed that it will start at. Then tie the lever into the foreward position:

Gentlemen, start your engines !!!

Run it until it hits end of stroke, kill engine. Re-connect the return line to tank, and refill as necessary.

Congratulations you have now changed almost all the oil in the system :clap:

-Pat

Latest posts

Back