Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
vertical and big rounds. sounds good right no lifting, until you try to move that chunk sitting on the flat side under the wedge. even if you dig the toe plate in a bit 50+ # chunks don't like to move and you are on your knees or bending over trying to get purchase power. I am about 160# I just do not have the mass to move something 30" or better in dia. by around 16-18' tall ( and better believe tha round of oak that size is in 75-100# area) in the dirt almost not possible on hard surface as well. That's what I found some 20 years ago. same splitter now but rebuilt heavy duty ( 30ton I bent the foot plate and sprung the beam over the course of time hence the rebuild) horz only now. those big rounds get noodled( sawed) down to where i can moving them with out ripping myself up, it was only 30k for the hernia op, just as soon not do that again. Used to bust them up with sledge and wedge, at 71 parts of me ain't what they used to be. wood in pic starts at 20"dia

Attachments

• phonepics aug 21 007.JPG
    phonepics aug 21 007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I use a hand truck and a peavy for big rounds, or noodled pieces. Use the peavy to tip up an edge of the round or block, and get the hand truck under it. Then reverse the peavy, and use it to hold most of the round onto the hand truck while you tip it all back, then wheel it wherever. Grab the right surface of the block so that when you tip the hand truck back down, the block is on the splitter the right way to be split. A peavy is a huge help, even 400lbs moves easy enough with 5ft of leverage on it.

A pickaroon is a good one too, save you from bending over so much. Use the whole handle! The whole point is to extend your reach, if you're holding the pickaroon near the hook then you're forfeiting most of the advantage.

you bought the one I mentioned for $500?
This one used for $500
702865-aec8543d925391b02fb279b1689f4472.data

I've had 5 or 6 splitters over the years, most were just picked up when I saw a deal, clean up, fix up if needed, split an elm or three, resell.
Couple years ago got a three point splitter for $75! Tried to pay him more but the guy wouldn't take it. Shrug. Ran it off my skidsteer hydraulics but that's not so convenient. So off it went.

I use a hand truck and a peavy for big rounds, or noodled pieces. Use the peavy to tip up an edge of the round or block, and get the hand truck under it. Then reverse the peavy, and use it to hold most of the round onto the hand truck while you tip it all back, then wheel it wherever. Grab the right surface of the block so that when you tip the hand truck back down, the block is on the splitter the right way to be split. A peavy is a huge help, even 400lbs moves easy enough with 5ft of leverage on it.

A pickaroon is a good one too, save you from bending over so much. Use the whole handle! The whole point is to extend your reach, if you're holding the pickaroon near the hook then you're forfeiting most of the advantage.

I never thought of that. I just bought a hand truck from Costco. It is pretty nice. I also have at least one of the tools you are mentioning too. They have sat in my closet forever. Yeah I learned a long time ago whether you are working on cars or moving huge logs, leverage can be an excellent tool.

So I guess Home Depot tuned into this thread. I just got a coupon in the mail today for 10% off and they have a Champion 22 Ton log splitter out there for like $1,200. Really thinking about it. Especially from the price of these other used units.

I found a nice splitter local to me. County Line 28 Ton with a Honda GC 190 on it. Not really that local, he is an hour away from me. The unit does look like it is in excellent shape. He said he is firm on the $1,300 price. Do you guys think that is worth it? He might come down a little.

Also I noticed these splitters can be pretty heavy. I have a decent sit of ramps I usually use for push mowers. Do you guys think two people could load a splitter like this onto the back of a truck for a longer transport?
No way you are going to push a heavy splitter into the back of a truck up ramps. I cheat, I have a raised wall and field that I can back up to for loading and unloading equipment in and out of my truck.

I was die hard Honda or Kawasaki engine but my 30 ton TSC splitter has a 9.5 hp kohler that’s been alright. I’m not a kohler fan but it was available. It’s split stuff that stalled my buddy’s 27 ton Troy built with a 190cc Honda. I think my kohler is a 340cc. It’s a a lot faster than my buddy’s splitter but mostly that’s the pump. Looking back I’d buy the northstar 37 ton with the big Honda and log lift.
I picked up this used NorthStar last year for $1K. I wish it had the log loader on it. I did add the wings on the Ram and a cover to protect the motor.

Attachments

• 20211207_151616.jpg
    20211207_151616.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211207_151726.jpg
    20211207_151726.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20211211_152843.jpg
    20211211_152843.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Several years ago I had several large trees cut down, too large for me. Mostly Oak, Cherry & some pine. After a couple weekends of trying to manually split I bought a 27ton Champion splitter from HD. 0% 2 year financing. Bought it for $1,100 in 2018 and it's worth every penny. don't know how many logs I split.

80-log_splitter_9ca6e2ec7dec843ac17978853b1cf9936f21d146.jpg

80-img_1820_6d8d6eb2b49befe3d501c53cd72c89152400b349.jpg
Several years ago I had several large trees cut down, too large for me. Mostly Oak, Cherry & some pine. After a couple weekends of trying to manually split I bought a 27ton Champion splitter from HD. 0% 2 year financing. Bought it for $1,100 in 2018 and it's worth every penny. don't know how many logs I split.

80-log_splitter_9ca6e2ec7dec843ac17978853b1cf9936f21d146.jpg

80-img_1820_6d8d6eb2b49befe3d501c53cd72c89152400b349.jpg
I just bought a lightly used one the other day just like this. When I tried to start it it felt like there was a lot of resistant in starter rope. Made me wonder if oil had gotten in the cylinder when I was moving it around. Has that ever happened to you.? Eventually , after I let it sit for awhile it stated with no problem

I found a nice splitter local to me. County Line 28 Ton with a Honda GC 190 on it. Not really that local, he is an hour away from me. The unit does look like it is in excellent shape. He said he is firm on the $1,300 price. Do you guys think that is worth it? He might come down a little.

Also I noticed these splitters can be pretty heavy. I have a decent sit of ramps I usually use for push mowers. Do you guys think two people could load a splitter like this onto the back of a truck for a longer transport?
Before trying to put it in the bed of a PU, borrow or rent a small trailer, the kind used to haul lawnmowers, much easier to haul a splitter for longer distances.

So I think I saw at least one person here say they have a Champion splitter they like. Does anyone else have one? I have a Home Depot local to me. So could use my discount and have one. I am not sure about the idea of having a "Champion" branded engine.

If your not sold on one yet, go to youtube and watch some videos of the various types to help you decide. Always use a tie off if attempting to load a splitter. Most are light enough for two men to push or pull up a ramp. Tie it off, one video does such thing and the beam struck the guys wife near the jaw.
I'd buy new unless you get it for half or less.
Good luck, happy hunting!

I have a 25T splitter from TSC and it's been a real workhorse for me. I just got a cover for it on Amazon and it's covered when I'm not using it.
The prices have gone up to the point I could probably sell mine for more than I paid for it! I think regular price was able $1100 and it went on sale for $1k when I got it, now I've been seeing them for $1500.

So I think I saw at least one person here say they have a Champion splitter they like. Does anyone else have one? I have a Home Depot local to me. So could use my discount and have one. I am not sure about the idea of having a "Champion" branded engine.

That is my concern with the Champion splitters. Not sure who makes their engines.

I have a Champion and I like it. The typical free 2 year warranty backed by HD is a plus.
I like it because it's not screaming loud and the steel/welds seemed better. The spool and sight glass was replaced under warranty- the company was very easy to deal with.
I haven't had a minutes problem with the engine. Starts first pull. I am told the air Filter cover may leak storm water into the carb if left uncovered.

Latest posts

Back