Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never thought of that. I just bought a hand truck from Costco. It is pretty nice. I also have at least one of the tools you are mentioning too. They have sat in my closet forever. Yeah I learned a long time ago whether you are working on cars or moving huge logs, leverage can be an excellent tool.

Rock bar/digging/pry bar with a chipper end (flat blade)

Oh, and as far as renting it out, not a chance. Maybe with a cash deposit that's $100 more than full current replacement cost.
Last time I did that was in the 80's and it came back with a blown rod through the side of the block. If you are going to lend it make sure the person will cover the cost of repairs it they break it.

If it dont have suspension it will hop up and down a ridiculouse amount.
Truth! My off-road utility trailer has springs, but they're 5k lb springs, on a trailer that weighs probably 600lbs empty. When empty, the axle might as well be welded to the frame, the only give is in the tires.

So this was going to be my next question. Because I have seen the same thing lol. Bouncing around like that cannot be good for them. However, if you look at them they rate most of them for "highway towing up to 45MPH". So if I purchase one from my local Home Depot and make certain I max out at 45MPH will I be in good shape?

I sure wouldn't. 20mph, tops, on good roads. Crawling over driveway transitions and railroad tracks. Stop after a mile and make sure the bearings aren't trying to catch fire.

Seriously, they're meant to be towed around someone's property at riding mower speeds.

Truth! My off-road utility trailer has springs, but they're 5k lb springs, on a trailer that weighs probably 600lbs empty. When empty, the axle might as well be welded to the frame, the only give is in the tires.

I sure wouldn't. 20mph, tops, on good roads. Crawling over driveway transitions and railroad tracks. Stop after a mile and make sure the bearings aren't trying to catch fire.

Seriously, they're meant to be towed around someone's property at riding mower speeds.
Mine is rated for 45mph and has trailer bearings on the axle.

This is spot-on advice. Bring the wood to the splitter, or put it on wheels.

Mine is towable on the road.
I've heard, and seen one youtube video where a new splitter had no grease in the bearings and/or the wheels fell off. There are all kinds of horror storys with store-boughts. I brought my Champion home on a trailer, then made sure there was grease in the wheels. I wouldn't hesitate to take my Champion an hour down the road behind the truck or the car.

I consider this brand one of the better splitters on the market, and even paying several thousands won't isolate you from problems. It does appear the line was damaged when the round came back @12:14. For this money, IMO, it should be more protected.
Anyway, those larger rounds are why I have a log lift.

I consider this brand one of the better splitters on the market, and even paying several thousands won't isolate you from problems. It does appear the line was damaged when the round came back @12:14. For this money, IMO, it should be more protected.

Oof $4600 on Easton's page. You're right, those are pretty exposed. Odd because their other splitters do a much better job protecting it. Granted at a significant price increase.

I saw a video with their Axis splitter and was super impressed. log lift, conveyor, stand up work with foot pedal controls, etc.

Only $16k https://www.eastonmadewoodsplitters...page=Eastonmade-Axis-Wood-Splitter-p297621144

I would love to find something like this, maybe without the conveyor for cheaper. The company is only a 6 hour drive from me, one of these days I may go check them out.

It is a poor design to have such a large wedge with a small pusher sled. We see most of those splits, & probably many others without straight grain, wanting to flip over. The sled should be close to the height of the wedge.
Even though it has a detent, the operator must be aware of such things, BUT, I think this should have been foreseen by the manufacturer.

I knew it as soon as I saw the knotty irregular pieces.

It is a poor design to have such a large wedge with a small pusher sled. We see most of those splits, & probably many others without straight grain, wanting to flip over. The sled should be close to the height of the wedge.
Even though it has a detent, the operator must be aware of such things, BUT, I think this should have been foreseen by the manufacturer.

When I was doing research on splitters I found that the design today is apparently backwards. If you look at splitters like the RuggedMade that manufacturer points out that theirs is not only more convenient but "correct". Not sure if this applies directly to what you are saying but the splitting wedge is usually at the bottom and the part actually connected to the hydraulic canister is flat. Then if you are lucky you have a table at the other end to catch logs that may need to go back through again.

I probably will not get that one. The price is pretty steep for something I am not going to get a lot of use out of.

I've heard, and seen one youtube video where a new splitter had no grease in the bearings and/or the wheels fell off. There are all kinds of horror storys with store-boughts. I brought my Champion home on a trailer, then made sure there was grease in the wheels. I wouldn't hesitate to take my Champion an hour down the road behind the truck or the car.

I realize now you were talking about a splitter similar to that of the RuggedMade. I like the fact it has a Vanguard. I remember being told back in 2015 that the first real Vanguard engine was the one I had on my machine. That is the 26HP 810cc. I think when I recently talked to me dealer he told me they are putting the Vanguard stickers on everything. That looks like a pretty sizeable engine though. It definitely looks to be a step up from the 22-ton RuggedMade.

I have been looking at the Champions for awhile too. Now to clarify you are saying that you wouldn't hesitate to tow the actual splitter, with no trailer behind your vehicle?

I realize now you were talking about a splitter similar to that of the RuggedMade. I like the fact it has a Vanguard. I remember being told back in 2015 that the first real Vanguard engine was the one I had on my machine. That is the 26HP 810cc. I think when I recently talked to me dealer he told me they are putting the Vanguard stickers on everything. That looks like a pretty sizeable engine though. It definitely looks to be a step up from the 22-ton RuggedMade.

I have been looking at the Champions for awhile too. Now to clarify you are saying that you wouldn't hesitate to tow the actual splitter, with no trailer behind your vehicle?
When I took my 27t Champion hubs apart, the bearings & spindle appeared the same as any other small wheel combo from the 1980's. Yes, I would tow my Champion splitter behind my car or truck without a second thought. Keep in mind, me thinks non suspension vehicles/trailers are limited to 45mph or whatever the law/manufacturer recommends

Latest posts

Back