Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask him if you can dump a bit of gas in the carb or give it a puff of starting fluid and get it to fire. If he won't go for it, I'd let it go.

I already messaged him. He said it is not available. He hasn't removed it yet. Guessing it isn't a clogged fuel line lol, but guess it could be he just has not removed it yet. This is the major reason I do not want to mess around with an expensive one that is used to any extent. Morons run bad gas through them and ruin the carburetor and all kinds of other crap. Everyone raves about Ethanol free fuel but we only have one station for like 300 miles that sells it. They fill the tank and leave it in there forever and the fuel goes bad.

So anyone that uses that fuel pretty much ruins their equipment. I started running this stuff in my STIHL equipment awhile back and couldn't get it to run at all. The dealer told me to swap to regular unleaded and use or discard on a regular basis. I have never had any problems with any equipment. Including some of my STIHL stuff that is now fifteen or more years old.

Anyway I didn't get to respond to your other post either. I guess I am a big kid at heart too. I am currently 33 and I loved Regular Show. I was sad when I heard they were cancelling it. I have always worried about growing out of being myself. You do not hear about grown men enjoying stuff like Regular Show often. So I always wondered when I would 'grow out of it' but sure have not yet.

Did you buy one?
I see purchasing and owning a splitter this way. I split when I want and don't when I don't. I like not rushing off to the rental and picking up/dropping off to save the extra charge. Frankly, sometimes I feel like splitting and decide I'm not into it, and pack up, if I was renting I would have to continue even though I don't want to.
No, not yet, do not have a need as of yet. But this tread did get me to look at prices.

No, not yet, do not have a need as of yet. But this tread did get me to look at prices.

Yeah it is a lot to think about. In my opinion people are asking way too much for used log splitters. Why in the world would you spend $1,000 on a used splitter when you can get one new for a few hundred more bucks? Like I said, I just got a 10% off coupon from Home Depot. So definitely going to stop there and look at theirs again. It would be nice to locate a splitter with a ram/wedge that I can get a 4-way over. They seem like they can save a lot of time.

I thought about asking some of my friends if they want to go half on one and maybe consider a larger one. Just I can already see this causing some trouble. Especially after hearing how against people are here on renting them out, which by the way I do not blame one bit. I am no stranger to how people treat other peoples equipment. I think it is a big reason you constantly hear not to buy vehicles or equipment that has been rented out.

EDIT:
and as I post that statement I locate this on YouTube. This thing sure seems to have a lot of movement when it was forced up against that log though. How often do these things come flying out and end up in your brain do you think?

Yeah it is a lot to think about. In my opinion people are asking way too much for used log splitters. Why in the world would you spend $1,000 on a used splitter when you can get one new for a few hundred more bucks? Like I said, I just got a 10% off coupon from Home Depot. So definitely going to stop there and look at theirs again. It would be nice to locate a splitter with a ram/wedge that I can get a 4-way over. They seem like they can save a lot of time.

I thought about asking some of my friends if they want to go half on one and maybe consider a larger one. Just I can already see this causing some trouble. Especially after hearing how against people are here on renting them out, which by the way I do not blame one bit. I am no stranger to how people treat other peoples equipment. I think it is a big reason you constantly hear not to buy vehicles or equipment that has been rented out.

EDIT:
and as I post that statement I locate this on YouTube. This thing sure seems to have a lot of movement when it was forced up against that log though. How often do these things come flying out and end up in your brain do you think?

"... How often do these things come flying out and end up in your brain do you think?..."
I don't know, but it happens. On my homemade unit, I had one round pop so fast and violently I believe it would have broken my femur if the half didn't hit my logstop in front of my leg.

I can only tell you I got a 28 ton yardmax full beam in July and other than 1 o ring has had no issues using it to process a lot of wood.
20220923_170127.jpg20220923_170141.jpg

So this is the one that I meant I was very interested in. Because it is convenient and definitely faster. Having that said, I realized you are going to lose the ability to split wood vertically, which is important to me with some of the logs I will be splitting with it right now even. So you mean you bought the one I mentioned for $500? I am sure if I offered him $1,000 he would take it but I do believe that is still a steep price for a used log splitter. The Kohler equivalent they are selling now is $2,099 on the website. He will probably sell it just because it has the Hona GC190 on it.
Going in with friends/partners is never a good idea on equipt of any kind.

If you buy a log splitter that is too small you always regret it. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than the 28 ton and would buy the 34 ton If I could swing it. And using the vertical option on a log splitter sucks bad, It's best to add a log lift of some kind, There are some pretty good ones that use an electric winch and mount to the front of the beam.

Going in with friends/partners is never a good idea on equipt of any kind.

If you buy a log splitter that is too small you always regret it. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than the 28 ton and would buy the 34 ton If I could swing it. And using the vertical option on a log splitter sucks bad, It's best to add a log lift of some kind, There are some pretty good ones that use an electric winch and mount to the front of the beam.

Definitely wouldn't go in with friends on anything like this. Lots of drama can happen that'll make you wish you'd just forked over the other half of the bill and made it all go away.

I really like the vertical option. In the right situation, it's absolutely wonderful to have. Roll a big round under it, hit the lever, and stand back as best you can until it pops. If I was getting a log splitter, vertical flip would be on the "must have" list.

I really like my little electric splitter. It won't make Tim Allen grunt in approval, but it gets the job done, for less than 1/10th the hassle. No worries about towing, just toss it in the trunk of your car if you want.

Definitely wouldn't go in with friends on anything like this. Lots of drama can happen that'll make you wish you'd just forked over the other half of the bill and made it all go away.

I really like the vertical option. In the right situation, it's absolutely wonderful to have. Roll a big round under it, hit the lever, and stand back as best you can until it pops. If I was getting a log splitter, vertical flip would be on the "must have" list.

Exactly. This is what turned me off from the Harbor Freight two way splitter. Like I said super cool machine that would speed up splitting infinitely but the major drawback is that you would have to lug huge pieces on it or purchase another piece of equipment to do so. I was looking into the GorillaBac system. Just another expense right out of the gate does not seem logical.

if you are in a area that has rural king stores they have some on sale

They look like they have some reasonable prices. I do have one semi-local to me. I tried calling them to check price and availability but no answer. Guess I will try again tomorrow. I have a Tractor Supply and Home Depot that are very local to me so I am going to do some looking around there next time I am in town.

I misspoke many post back. My splitter has the Honda GC 190. My local dealer has several Oregon splitters in stock from 25-33 ton. Ranging from $1400- 2300. He could load one on the back of a pick up if you make a 3 hour drive. If I am not mistaken, Oregon and Speeco are almost one in the same. As for towing a splitter, I tow mine a lot but never over 40 mph and never more than about 15 miles. One of the worst things about the GC 190 engine is there is no fuel shut off valve, so you always want to check your oil after a tow,make sure no gas " got through the float" and into the crankcase.

I misspoke many post back. My splitter has the Honda GC 190. My local dealer has several Oregon splitters in stock from 25-33 ton. Ranging from $1400- 2300. He could load one on the back of a pick up if you make a 3 hour drive. If I am not mistaken, Oregon and Speeco are almost one in the same. As for towing a splitter, I tow mine a lot but never over 40 mph and never more than about 15 miles. One of the worst things about the GC 190 engine is there is no fuel shut off valve, so you always want to check your oil after a tow,make sure no gas " got through the float" and into the crankcase.
Add the shut off i suppose. I noticed when you tow them they do tend to flood.

Add the shut off i suppose. I noticed when you tow them they do tend to flood.
I never know when I will be splitting again,so I usually just run my splitter out of gas when I can. The Honda GX 390 on my post driver does have a fuel shut off . I once forgot to close it and took off down the road,had almost a half gallon of gas in the oil when I got where I was going.But that was 60 mph and around 50 miles. Fuel shut off or petcock ( hate using that word) should be pretty cheap depending on the fuel line routing.

Back