Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...What turns me off about them is the machines try to do everything and they do lack a good bit in a lot of the stuff they try to do...."
Size is determined by need and better than doing it by hand. Some people specialize in small equipment landscaping and do well. A mouse will take the whole slice of cheese one bite at a time.

That is the exact reason they were invented. Their size is nearly perfect for their original purpose which is mowing on steep banks. They can mow hillsides better and much faster than a team with string trimmers. Having that said, they are still excellent machines for this but you will easily spend $50,000 for the tractor and a couple attachments which is ridiculous if you ask me. I realize that you are paying for the science and quality behind the machine but that is still a steep price tag.

I have seen the power buckets move firewood before but that is not really going to help me personally unless I was processing a lot of it. It would be awesome to have something that I can detach from a skid or tractor (like a large FEL) and leave near my basement door when I get too lazy to carry wood in. It would also make carrying in wood a lot easier too. I forget what it is called but our basement is halfway into the ground so the steps outside have a concrete walkway coming down to the door. I could easily drop something like that off there and open my door and have access to firewood at waist/shoulder height. You can tell I have been thinking about this for awhile huh? 🤣

That is the exact reason they were invented. Their size is nearly perfect for their original purpose which is mowing on steep banks. They can mow hillsides better and much faster than a team with string trimmers. Having that said, they are still excellent machines for this but you will easily spend $50,000 for the tractor and a couple attachments which is ridiculous if you ask me. I realize that you are paying for the science and quality behind the machine but that is still a steep price tag.

I have seen the power buckets move firewood before but that is not really going to help me personally unless I was processing a lot of it. It would be awesome to have something that I can detach from a skid or tractor (like a large FEL) and leave near my basement door when I get too lazy to carry wood in. It would also make carrying in wood a lot easier too. I forget what it is called but our basement is halfway into the ground so the steps outside have a concrete walkway coming down to the door. I could easily drop something like that off there and open my door and have access to firewood at waist/shoulder height. You can tell I have been thinking about this for awhile huh? 🤣
For the cost a small loader and hoe is only about $25k new and $7k or more if used.
https://lynchburg.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=loader&min_price=&max_price=

Screenshot_20221002-063153_Chrome~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-063503_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-063503_Chrome~2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221002-063519_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221002-063519_Chrome.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 0
For the cost a small loader and hoe is only about $25k new and $7k or more if used.

View attachment 1021236

I haven't shopped used equipment, but that actually doesn't look like a horrible price for one of their TLBs with what should be an engine with no emissions requirements.

*I'm about eight months out from walking into a Kubota dealer and telling him to spend my money with the biggest I'll go is an L47.

I haven't shopped used equipment, but that actually doesn't look like a horrible price for one of their TLBs with what should be an engine with no emissions requirements.

*I'm about eight months out from walking into a Kubota dealer and telling him to spend my money with the biggest I'll go is an L47.
I know, and at 740 hours it's still a baby

I do a tree with this device faster then many slow hydraulic splitters. Real men use their muscles as well ;) (this is not me btw, I don't have boobs; so even tough women use it!)

1664742668479.png

Yep the Courage was the one I heard to watch out for. I wish I would have heard that before I bought my MTD with one of those engines though. I cannot complain though that machine is still running strong. I know it was going around that they were doing a lot of questionable things with engines around that time. Having that said, all manufacturers do it. Some people love their Briggs engines. I was told the same thing about Briggs that I was about Kohler, only go for the Vanguard engines. When you are spending that kind of money on a zero turn, you want a strong engine to back it up.

I would have never passed up the Oregon just because of the Kohler. They just 'concern' me, which you have relieved a great deal. Just go to Tractor Supply, people seem much happier with the County Lines than they do the Oregon, which alone is concerning. I really did not like the location of that hydraulic cap either. People say the drawback of the Champions is having that stuff (lines, filter etc) exposed on the side you are working on. However, I can see a log coming off the splitter and hitting that protruding cap and causing a nightmare.

Yep I am 33 and have a pretty roughed up lower back already. Anyway, I may go with a Champion and try that Speeco slip over 4 way. It looks like it can be removed in seconds when you are doing larger rounds. I am also leaning toward the 27 Ton because it is about 120lbs lighter and have been reading that it has plenty of power, faster cycle time and will obviously be a little easier to move around.

I have a Toro snow blower that was probably the biggest regret of my life. It was exactly $2,000 and the engine was "Toro" branded. I heard that it was a Honda clone and very reliable. I had to replace the carburetor on like the second or third season of owning it. I put Star Tron in it and decided to leave fuel in it which I guess was my mistake. Anyway I do dislike this thing. It is heavy as a rock, bottoms out in a foot of snow and is just all around difficult. I also hurt myself pretty bad one year trying to use my bodyweight to push it forward, which to be fair was operator error.
All the engine issues happened when they stopped selling commercial engines and started producing "home owner" engines. Even Honda has a cheap line. I'll never really understand the hate for Briggs they delivered what people wanted, cheap throw away engines. Kohler jumped on that band wagon as did Honda. Worked out better for Honda then kohler..

Not that I plan on buying a Craftsman, this is another example that can be found at the big box stores. I was at Lowes earlier today and strolled over to look at their 27 tons for $1599.

Apologize for the cut off pic of the specs-I had to chase down some of my stuff that was blowing away.

Kohler 195cc engine
Splitter is made by "YTL International". Never heard of them, but I bet they make a bunch of stuff for other companies to slap stickers on.

IMG_1548.jpgIMG_1549.jpg

All the engine issues happened when they stopped selling commercial engines and started producing "home owner" engines. Even Honda has a cheap line. I'll never really understand the hate for Briggs they delivered what people wanted, cheap throw away engines. Kohler jumped on that band wagon as did Honda. Worked out better for Honda then kohler..

Agreed the same can be said for the transaxles on a lot of these machines as well. A lot of the newer mowers have a Tuff Torq or Hydro Gear system that is not meant to be serviced. Nothing screams throw away unit when you realize those systems are completely sealed from the factory. Now I personally do not know the specifics but I remember reading and seeing the bad publicity that the Kohlers and Briggs engines got. I heard the Commercial Turf on the Briggs line was not bad but if you were willing to pay a little more you could get a Vanguard and that is the one that people were complimenting left and right.

I heard nothing but good things about Kawasaki engines and came to the conclusion they would be a 'good bet' if I could not locate something else. I heard they were gas hogs though. Anyway, I am very happy that I decided to go with the Vanguard on my Ferris. I have no regrets on this engine so far. I am not putting the hours on the machine that a commercial company would so I only change the oil once a year and the hydro fluid once every three years. It seems to be working out well so far.

Anyway I was looking at the County Line splitters and for $400-$500 more you can step up to a 30 Ton Kohler Command. Something to think about.

View attachment 1021236
I can tell you this ad here is a scam, That yard is in Southern California.
Not that I plan on buying a Craftsman, this is another example that can be found at the big box stores. I was at Lowes earlier today and strolled over to look at their 27 tons for $1599.

Apologize for the cut off pic of the specs-I had to chase down some of my stuff that was blowing away.

Kohler 195cc engine
Splitter is made by "YTL International". Never heard of them, but I bet they make a bunch of stuff for other companies to slap stickers on.

View attachment 1021503View attachment 1021504
I have the Kohler SH Series on my pressure washer, It's a Chicom engine but it starts right up everytime, I have had it about 4 years, But truthfully, I might only use it 3 or 4 times a year. This engine is not even close to the "Command" Line of engines, At least the Command engines I have had in the past.

I can tell you this ad here is a scam, That yard is in Southern California.

I have the Kohler SH Series on my pressure washer, It's a Chicom engine but it starts right up everytime, I have had it about 4 years, But truthfully, I might only use it 3 or 4 times a year. This engine is not even close to the "Command" Line of engines, At least the Command engines I have had in the past.

Yeah engines change, manufacturers do stuff to make money. I heard that Briggs is now putting the Vanguard sticker on a lot of their China engines, which is very disheartening if true.

So what you are saying is that it may be worth looking into the $2,000 splitter to get the Kohler Command engine? I did not want to spend this on a splitter but I will consider it to get a good one.

This has been a ridiculously awesome thread for me guys. I have learned a lot. I never thought I would even be considering a Kohler engine at the end of this lol. You live and you learn I guess.

So my next question would be, how do you guys store equipment that is not used regularly or possibly even a year or two at a time? Take for example a snow blower or log splitter that may get no use in a year? If you have a fuel cut off do you treat the fuel in the tank and let the carburetor run out of fuel? Do you fill your tanks all the way to the neck and add fuel treatment? Do you attempt to drain the gas completely? I would love to have feedback on this.

Like I said the dealer I bought my Ferris from is very knowledgeable. Something that upset me is when I was going around looking at zeros my first choice was Scag, but all the ones around me (both local and not local) seemed more like used cars salesmen. I realize that this is probably has nothing to do with Scag or Ferris but that I just got unlucky. Anyway the Ferris dealer was the first guy that knew more than me about the machines he was trying to sell me.

The point to mentioning this is he told me the best way to store the Ferris was to fill the tanks as far as I could get them and treat them with a fuel treatment that I trust. Then run the machine a little so treated fuel is in the lines and carburetor/fuel injectors and then store it. I started doing this years ago and never had a problem getting the mower started in the Spring.

Having this said, do you treat engines that may sit longer in the same fashion? So if I get a wood splitter and cannot see myself using it for a year after all this wood is split. Should I drain all the gas from the tank and let the engine run dry?

Yeah engines change, manufacturers do stuff to make money. I heard that Briggs is now putting the Vanguard sticker on a lot of their China engines, which is very disheartening if true.

So what you are saying is that it may be worth looking into the $2,000 splitter to get the Kohler Command engine? I did not want to spend this on a splitter but I will consider it to get a good one.

This has been a ridiculously awesome thread for me guys. I have learned a lot. I never thought I would even be considering a Kohler engine at the end of this lol. You live and you learn I guess.

So my next question would be, how do you guys store equipment that is not used regularly or possibly even a year or two at a time? Take for example a snow blower or log splitter that may get no use in a year? If you have a fuel cut off do you treat the fuel in the tank and let the carburetor run out of fuel? Do you fill your tanks all the way to the neck and add fuel treatment? Do you attempt to drain the gas completely? I would love to have feedback on this.

Like I said the dealer I bought my Ferris from is very knowledgeable. Something that upset me is when I was going around looking at zeros my first choice was Scag, but all the ones around me (both local and not local) seemed more like used cars salesmen. I realize that this is probably has nothing to do with Scag or Ferris but that I just got unlucky. Anyway the Ferris dealer was the first guy that knew more than me about the machines he was trying to sell me.

The point to mentioning this is he told me the best way to store the Ferris was to fill the tanks as far as I could get them and treat them with a fuel treatment that I trust. Then run the machine a little so treated fuel is in the lines and carburetor/fuel injectors and then store it. I started doing this years ago and never had a problem getting the mower started in the Spring.

Having this said, do you treat engines that may sit longer in the same fashion? So if I get a wood splitter and cannot see myself using it for a year after all this wood is split. Should I drain all the gas from the tank and let the engine run dry?
Well I don't know if you have what we call "Blue Gas" but it's Ethanol free gas here and comes out of a blue colored nozzle here in Utah, That's all I run now and haven't had any problems, But none of my stuff sits for a year, It sits over the winter and gets used in the spring up until November. Some people don't believe in "Sea Foam" But I put that stuff in everything. I do stock up on fuel so I have some in emergencies, And I add "Stabil" and "Sea Foam" to blue gas to store it.

Well I don't know if you have what we call "Blue Gas" but it's Ethanol free gas here and comes out of a blue colored nozzle here in Utah, That's all I run now and haven't had any problems, But none of my stuff sits for a year, It sits over the winter and gets used in the spring up until November. Some people don't believe in "Sea Foam" But I put that stuff in everything. I do stock up on fuel so I have some in emergencies, And I add "Stabil" and "Sea Foam" to blue gas to store it.

No, we have Liberty Stations that are the only places (I am aware of) that sell Ethanol Free gas. The problem is they sell all other kinds of gas too. So the Ethanol Free stuff sits in their tanks and goes bad. I could not get any of my STIHL equipment to work with it. Took it to the dealer and he told me to run the freshest stuff I could find and discard it if I did not use it for a long time. Never had an issue running Ethanol since. Except if you count the carburetor I had to replace in my snow blower but that was probably my fault to being with and not Ethanol.

EDIT:
Also are you saying that you run your equipment regularly? Even stuff like your log splitter runs on a semi regular basis?

EDIT:
Also are you saying that you run your equipment regularly? Even stuff like your log splitter runs on a semi regular basis?

To me the trick to heating with wood and enjoying it is to take a bight or two at a time, instead of knocking it out all at once. I could see myself running a log splitter at least as often as a lawnmower and probably wouldn't do anything fancy there. Close the fuel shutoff and run the carb out of gas would be about it.

For things like my snowblower and generator that sit, I keep them full at the advice of my local small engine place. Simply close the fuel shutoff and run out of fuel is it.

I do ethanol free in all my small engines except my lawnmower. There are plenty of busy stations here.

No, we have Liberty Stations that are the only places (I am aware of) that sell Ethanol Free gas. The problem is they sell all other kinds of gas too. So the Ethanol Free stuff sits in their tanks and goes bad. I could not get any of my STIHL equipment to work with it. Took it to the dealer and he told me to run the freshest stuff I could find and discard it if I did not use it for a long time. Never had an issue running Ethanol since. Except if you count the carburetor I had to replace in my snow blower but that was probably my fault to being with and not Ethanol.

EDIT:
Yes my Log Splitter runs quite bit through the summer, And so do my saws, Mower and wheeled weed trimmer, The first year I moved to Utah I used E-85 and it ruined every carburetor I had by spring, I have never used it again even in my fuel injected car. Ethanol gets 20% less fuel economy, So saving 10 or 15 cents a gallon doesn't pencil out on vehicles, And it doesn't pencil out on small engines when you consider the maintenance problems it creates.

This is from an Edmunds Article: https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

The Final Score: Fuel Economy and Cost​

After refueling we put the fuel amounts and the prices paid into a spreadsheet and compiled a clear, side-by-side comparison for both fuel consumption and cost. Remember, these results apply only to this vehicle and to the prices in effect during our 667-mile test.

Gas Result:​

From San Diego to Las Vegas and back, we used 36.5 gallons of regular gasoline and achieved an average fuel economy of 18.3 mpg.

Gas Cost:​

We spent $124.66 for gasoline for the trip. The average pump price was $3.42 per gallon.

E85 Result:​

From San Diego to Las Vegas and back we used 50 gallons of E85 and achieved an average fuel economy of 13.5 mpg.

E85 Cost:​

We spent $154.29 on ethanol for the trip. The average pump price was $3.09 per gallon.

Gas vs. E85 difference:​

The fuel economy of our Tahoe on E85 under these conditions was 26.5 percent worse than it was on gas.

Edit To add: Old-Feller Added: Most people don't know that the green economy seldom does pencil out.

ethanol free or bust for all my non vehicle engines. last 5 gallon can in the fall is treated with stabil at about 25% more than the recommendation on the bottle.
So everything gets it even my two stroke engines get it. basically the last two or three tanks for every small engine is run with stabil and close to the end of that units season i fill up and then run it till dry and put it away.
If I can't quite finish the task at hand too bad it gets done next year. To give an idea, that's five chainsaws, a 40+ year old B&S 8 hp engine on my splitter, my brush cutter and string trimmer, 1 suitcase genset, one 6k genset.
I end up burning up the last of the gas in the winter in the ATC's and quad's, a Honda 200 ATC, a Suzuki two stroke 50cc ATC and a yamaha 100 cc quad. as these three are used year round by my girls and do not require draining.

Yeah I see people welding them to their log splitters and wonder what they are thinking. So I was thinking it may be perfect for certain logs or if you have someone helping you. So one of you can position the log and the other can use the hydro lever. I thought about what you said already and it makes total sense. If you plan to use it a lot you are probably going to end up with a lot of kindling or undesirable pieces of wood. Having that said, I like the ones that have the little chain 'lanyard' thing that you can put around the cylinder arm too. Methinks it would significantly reduce the need for brain surgery.

Okay so made a lot of progress today.

1.) Talked to Rural King and my local one does not have any splitters on sale right now. They said all you can do is call back and check.

2.) I went to Tractor Supply today and someone brought back an Oregon 30 Ton and they reduced the price $200 to $1,600. I talked to them about it and told them I wanted to do more research on the Kohler. It is an SH series and I was told long ago to not screw with modern Kohler unless it is in the Command Series. Also they could not get the story straight on the splitter either. The manager said it has never been used but 100% has. You can see the stains from it splitting wood. He was a nice guy but insisted it never had fuel in it. I ensured him I already checked and it was full of fuel. He said the guy brought it back because he put the log catcher on the wrong side and broke the welds off of it. They said they may consider taking a little less for it. I love Oregon, I really do. I think you guys already know they make awesome aftermarket commercial chainsaw chains, bars and even lawn mower blades. However, the quality of this wood splitter is questionable.

3.) Also stopped by Home Depot and their Champions seem to be in the lead. The Oregon has a protruding neck and the hydraulic cap is plastic whereas the Champion is not protruding and metal like all the others I have seen. They have a 27 Ton for $1,499 or the 34 Ton for $1,899. They do simply put look like more quality machines. The Oregon looks like it may be a little heavier. I also heard you guys saying that their engines are cloned Honda's? The 27 Ton out front clearly has some kind of residue on it. It is like a brown film and definitely oily. I am not certain if it is hydraulic fluid or what. It says they have others in stock.

By the way, thanks for all the awesome feedback. You guys have given me a lot information. As always any thoughts on anything I wrote here is much appreciated.
I just happened upon this thread and noted a similarity and it currently has me stumped. I was at Home Depot on Saturday and they also had an Oregon 30ton splitter that had been returned to the store. I went home with it with a 15% discount. Seemed about as good a deal as any in this market. I have run about half a tank of gas through it and nothing seems off about it...I am not sure why it would have been returned and hope I'm not missing something before the window closes for me to return it if there are issues i am missing.

This is from an Edmunds Article: https://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

The Final Score: Fuel Economy and Cost​

After refueling we put the fuel amounts and the prices paid into a spreadsheet and compiled a clear, side-by-side comparison for both fuel consumption and cost. Remember, these results apply only to this vehicle and to the prices in effect during our 667-mile test.

Gas Result:​

From San Diego to Las Vegas and back, we used 36.5 gallons of regular gasoline and achieved an average fuel economy of 18.3 mpg.

Gas Cost:​

We spent $124.66 for gasoline for the trip. The average pump price was $3.42 per gallon.

E85 Result:​

From San Diego to Las Vegas and back we used 50 gallons of E85 and achieved an average fuel economy of 13.5 mpg.

E85 Cost:​

We spent $154.29 on ethanol for the trip. The average pump price was $3.09 per gallon.

Gas vs. E85 difference:​

The fuel economy of our Tahoe on E85 under these conditions was 26.5 percent worse than it was on gas.

Edit To add: Old-Feller Added: Most people don't know that the green economy seldom does pencil out.
Not surprising. Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline. But I like the idea of flex fuel vehicles so that one can shop the market for whatever gives the lowest cost per mile at that time. Fuel economy must be factored into it, of course. In your above example, the E85 price would need to be $2.52/gallon or less for it to equal or beat the cost per mile of gasoline.

Most my equipment is used year round so I don't worry too much about it. It all gets treated regardless if it's sitting or getting used. Stuff thats going to sit gets run out of fuel, and the carb bowls drained. It's more of a pain then its worth searching out regular gas, and I'm not running any leaded gas in my equipment. I don't have carb issues and haven't really ever had carb issues so my routine must work.

Back