Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can confirm that the Speeco 4 Way Wedge does not fit on many modern log splitters. It fit on old style Champion Log Splitters but I tried it today and it does not fit on the Champion 27 Ton or the 34 Ton. It also does not fit on the County Line 25 Ton. Ironically though I do think it will fit over the Oregon 30 Ton. Tractor Supply was really busy and I did not want to be messing around with it. I believe it is going to be a tight fit though. Like I said, I may have to look into that used Oregon if he agrees to lower the price. It was still there today.

I am going to invest into one of those Curt Adjustable Trailer Hitches as well. They get pretty good reviews and will provide more than enough towing capacity for my truck and probably even if I upgrade trucks. I will leave the part number at the bottom of this thread. They have a 14,000 trailering limit, which exceeds my 1500's capacity easily. I figure I will probably easily be able to drop it down so that the log splitter is not too awkward while towing it home or from place to place.

CURT 45900​

The SpeeCo 4-way should fit the Oregon as the Oregon splitters are rebranded SpeeCo... I have one of those 4-way wedges for my SpeeCo 35 that I got for free. I have yet to use it as the rounds I've been working on weren't the appropriate size--most were way too big to start with and others too small. Without the ability to change the head height it's utility is kind of limited. For someone with lots of rounds the "right size" it looks like it would work!

The SpeeCo 4-way should fit the Oregon as the Oregon splitters are rebranded SpeeCo... I have one of those 4-way wedges for my SpeeCo 35 that I got for free. I have yet to use it as the rounds I've been working on weren't the appropriate size--most were way too big to start with and others too small. Without the ability to change the head height it's utility is kind of limited. For someone with lots of rounds the "right size" it looks like it would work!
Thanks. I read somewhere awhile ago that they fit Oregon and Husqvarna splitters. I just figured you could not trust it since not only the company who actually manufacturer the splitters change but the splitters themselves change over time it would be difficult to know 100%. I figured the best thing to do was to purchase it and see if it would fit over the splitters. I thought it would easily go over the Champions since I have seen them in videos and stuff. I found otherwise.

Also this is one of the concerns I have. The first image is of the County Line 25 Ton and the second is the Oregon 30 Ton. If you ask me just observing this shows a night and day difference in quality. I am not even sure what is going on with the Oregon, like that is a plastic cap and it is rusting? I also took that cap off and that neck is very thin metal. I can easily see a piece of wood getting thrown into it and that being the end of that. Another concern as people have mentioned is the finish on the Oregon. Do not get me wrong, it looks great but there are countless places on it where paints seems to be chipped off or already rusting.

As I also mentioned before I mostly love Oregon products, I realize that they rebrand a lot of stuff as theirs. Like these log splitters or Burr Kings Belt Grinders. I started using Oregon lawn mower blades to replace the commercial high lift blades on my Ferris and Oregon chainsaw chains for my STIHL. All I can say is I am impressed with the quality. So not hating on Oregon,.
Image (6).jpeg
Image (7).jpeg

Thanks. I read somewhere awhile ago that they fit Oregon and Husqvarna splitters. I just figured you could not trust it since not only the company who actually manufacturer the splitters change but the splitters themselves change over time it would be difficult to know 100%. I figured the best thing to do was to purchase it and see if it would fit over the splitters. I thought it would easily go over the Champions since I have seen them in videos and stuff. I found otherwise.

Also this is one of the concerns I have. The first image is of the County Line 25 Ton and the second is the Oregon 30 Ton. If you ask me just observing this shows a night and day difference in quality. I am not even sure what is going on with the Oregon, like that is a plastic cap and it is rusting? I also took that cap off and that neck is very thin metal. I can easily see a piece of wood getting thrown into it and that being the end of that. Another concern as people have mentioned is the finish on the Oregon. Do not get me wrong, it looks great but there are countless places on it where paints seems to be chipped off or already rusting.

As I also mentioned before I mostly love Oregon products, I realize that they rebrand a lot of stuff as theirs. Like these log splitters or Burr Kings Belt Grinders. I started using Oregon lawn mower blades to replace the commercial high lift blades on my Ferris and Oregon chainsaw chains for my STIHL. All I can say is I am impressed with the quality. So not hating on Oregon,.
View attachment 1022483
View attachment 1022484
Alright, now I know what you're talking about. I put a cap over my breather as well to keep out rain and dirt dobbers. It seems there is no screen in the hole. Sometimes I remember to take mine off but mostly I leave it on there.

Yeah, I have around $2000.00 in my current Home Built Splitter and probably 60 hours of work, But it is many steps up from anything from a box store. You can build one yourself cheap if you try to source everything a little at a time, The I beam, The ram and pump and hydraulic hoses will be what is the hardest to find. I have built 3 of them over the years, Where I live now there isn't many places to scrounge stuff. A Scrap yard is a great place to find much of what you need. One of my early splitters I built was made from scrap yard parts, But that's when I lived near Los Angeles and there was lots of stuff to be had. One of them I built I used an old lawn mower engine from a wheel horse mower and an old road grader ram, I did by an auto return log splitter valve and new hoses. Some guys have used large square tubing instead of I-Beam for the main beam.

Find yourself an old Buzz box welder on CL and learn to use it, The little 110 wire feeds won't make a strong enough weld for most of the things you need to weld on a splitter, But in my younger days I built quite a few trailers and things with just an AC buzz box. Like this one.

View attachment 1022127
No offense but a 140 amp 120volt machine welded 90% of my splitter. Ripped the wedge off a few times, till I realized I was bending the end of the beam. Would have fixed it with thay same 140 amp welder, but I had it at work to get one of the guys opinions and we ended up reinforcing the wedge at work. Multi pass, preheating and good welding habits are better then a big stick welder thay few people seem to get proficient at using. Especially an ac only machine imo.

Find yourself an old Buzz box welder on CL and learn to use it, The little 110 wire feeds won't make a strong enough weld for most of the things you need to weld on a splitter, But in my younger days I built quite a few trailers and things with just an AC buzz box. Like this one.

View attachment 1022127
I learned on an old Lincoln tombstone welder back in the early 80's. learn how to run a good clean 7018 rod on one of the old buzz box welders and you can weld with anything. BTW only some of the E7018's are formulated for a/c so research before you buy. would be easier if you had an ac/dc welder.

I learned on an old Lincoln tombstone welder back in the early 80's. learn how to run a good clean 7018 rod on one of the old buzz box welders and you can weld with anything. BTW only some of the E7018's are formulated for a/c so research before you buy. would be easier if you had an ac/dc welder.
Yes you are right, You need to buy the 7018AC rod, Regular 7018 doesn't work too well. The best rod I ever used for one of those buzz boxes was 7014, It just works and works well.

No offense but a 140 amp 120volt machine welded 90% of my splitter. Ripped the wedge off a few times, till I realized I was bending the end of the beam. Would have fixed it with thay same 140 amp welder, but I had it at work to get one of the guys opinions and we ended up reinforcing the wedge at work. Multi pass, preheating and good welding habits are better then a big stick welder thay few people seem to get proficient at using. Especially an ac only machine imo.
You can do it with multiple passes, But honestly I welded my ram mount with 7018 because it's stronger than mig. The rest I welded with my Old School Millermatic 200 from the 80's that just refuses to die. I can run beautiful welds with an AC buzzbox, 7014 is the key, But yes you are right stick welding will become a lost art.

I also own a Lincoln 140 HD 110 machine and I use it often, But it has it's limitations, It makes beautiful welds though.

Throw up some pics of your splitter, I love seeing home built splitters.

This pic is a weld from my Lincoln 180 HD I own 6 or 7 welding machines, I worked in a few fab shops doing mostly aluminum work Mig and Tig.

Attachments

• 20180517_125734.jpg
    20180517_125734.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 1022483
View attachment 1022484
That pipe plug cap with the hole drilled in it for the vent scares me more than the rusty one, I live in snow country and that one with the hole would introduce water into the hydraulics pretty quickly around here.

That pipe plug cap with the hole drilled in it for the vent scares me more than the rusty one, I live in snow country and that one with the hole would introduce water into the hydraulics pretty quickly around here.

Yeah so how does the rusty plastic one even vent? Large threads that are not air tight?

I think there is welding splatter on that cap; if that is splatter then the cap is metal.

I will have to check it out again but I did take it off. I remember it looking plastic and feeling like plastic. I could be wrong though.
Those vent caps are not meant to live outside 24/7 (I'd argue the entire splitter isn't either, but that's another discussion).
If your splitter sits outside without cover a good quality vent cap with a filter should be the first upgrade.

Can you give an example of this or a video?

You can do it with multiple passes, But honestly I welded my ram mount with 7018 because it's stronger than mig. The rest I welded with my Old School Millermatic 200 from the 80's that just refuses to die. I can run beautiful welds with an AC buzzbox, 7014 is the key, But yes you are right stick welding will become a lost art.

I also own a Lincoln 140 HD 110 machine and I use it often, But it has it's limitations, It makes beautiful welds though.

Throw up some pics of your splitter, I love seeing home built splitters.

This pic is a weld from my Lincoln 180 HD I own 6 or 7 welding machines, I worked in a few fab shops doing mostly aluminum work Mig and Tig.
My biggest gripe with ac only machines is the poor selection of rods, and when you do find them they cost more then a dc rod. I have access to bigger gas driven welders, I'm kinds the black sheep of the family dad and both my brothers are welders I'm the mechanic in the family. Running across town to grab the Lincoln or thermodyne is a pain. I did recently pickn up a no name 250 amp multi process machine haven't had the need to use it yet.
Here's a few pics of the current splitter. That Plate on the back of the wedge timing it to the beam turned out to be the fix for me ripping the wedge off. The small beam is the weak link, I've had to back the relief pressure down to 2400psi to keep the beam from bowing too bad. This winter my brother and I are going to start on the next version. Picked up some mic channel to fabricate the main beam from. Hoping it will be closer to a mini processor then just a splitter. Also will be going with a 6 inch cylinder over the 5 inch on this splitter. Well may be going with duel 4 inch cylinders depending on what I can find. Learned a lot building this splitter.

Attachments

• 20221008_153224.jpg
    20221008_153224.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221008_153214.jpg
    20221008_153214.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221008_153200.jpg
    20221008_153200.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
My biggest gripe with ac only machines is the poor selection of rods, and when you do find them they cost more then a dc rod. I have access to bigger gas driven welders, I'm kinds the black sheep of the family dad and both my brothers are welders I'm the mechanic in the family. Running across town to grab the Lincoln or thermodyne is a pain. I did recently pickn up a no name 250 amp multi process machine haven't had the need to use it yet.
Here's a few pics of the current splitter. That Plate on the back of the wedge timing it to the beam turned out to be the fix for me ripping the wedge off. The small beam is the weak link, I've had to back the relief pressure down to 2400psi to keep the beam from bowing too bad. This winter my brother and I are going to start on the next version. Picked up some mic channel to fabricate the main beam from. Hoping it will be closer to a mini processor then just a splitter. Also will be going with a 6 inch cylinder over the 5 inch on this splitter. Well may be going with duel 4 inch cylinders depending on what I can find. Learned a lot building this splitter

Looks good, I like your Avatar, I wonder how many people actually understand what you mean. With all of the money I have spent on saws, splitter, Trailers Etc. I'm not saving any money really.

Latest posts

Back