Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, I like your Avatar, I wonder how many people actually understand what you mean. With all of the money I have spent on saws, splitter, Trailers Etc. I'm not saving any money really.
My wife found that picture and said it fit me perfectly, I had to agree. Yep, I doubt I'm saving much either. Labor of love, and I love saws, trucks, trailers, equipment, the whole bit lol.

You can do it with multiple passes, But honestly I welded my ram mount with 7018 because it's stronger than mig. The rest I welded with my Old School Millermatic 200 from the 80's that just refuses to die. I can run beautiful welds with an AC buzzbox, 7014 is the key, But yes you are right stick welding will become a lost art.

I also own a Lincoln 140 HD 110 machine and I use it often, But it has it's limitations, It makes beautiful welds though.

Throw up some pics of your splitter, I love seeing home built splitters.

This pic is a weld from my Lincoln 180 HD I own 6 or 7 welding machines, I worked in a few fab shops doing mostly aluminum work Mig and Tig.
Those Millermatic 200 are good machines I still have a old Millermatic 35 that I keep to let friends use instead of my good Miller 210. The Millermatic 35 is nice because you can run it off a generator if needed even and not worry about a voltage spike hurting anything.

That pipe plug cap with the hole drilled in it for the vent scares me more than the rusty one, I live in snow country and that one with the hole would introduce water into the hydraulics pretty quickly around here.
I pick my days with mine, and typically head for the barn if it looks like rain is moving in, so it's been a a non-issue. I have threatened to change it to something more bullet-proof, but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe this winter in the off-season.

Those Millermatic 200 are good machines I still have a old Millermatic 35 that I keep to let friends use instead of my good Miller 210. The Millermatic 35 is nice because you can run it off a generator if needed even and not worry about a voltage spike hurting anything.
You are right about those old "Millermatic 35" Machines they are good old machines and most of them are still being used, That's what I had before I replaced it with the Millermatic 200. The 35 is not quite the machine of the 200 but If I still had mine I would not feel like I didn't have enough welder. The only problem I ever had with it was the heat taps would melt the plastic nuts that held them in, Other than that they are solid machines.

I pick my days with mine, and typically head for the barn if it looks like rain is moving in, so it's been a a non-issue. I have threatened to change it to something more bullet-proof, but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe this winter in the off-season.
Same here. Mine only comes out when I am using it, which isn't in the rain 😀
In 10-12 years my oil has always looked nice and clear - no milky appearance. It's only a potential issue if they are left out in the weather.

On the subject of welders. I've got a Ranger 8. I recently fried the control board on it. The best option I've found so far is a company called Radwell that repairs them for around $300. I've seen them listed for over $800 😳
As common a machine as they are I was hoping to find a parts machine or even a board on ebay. The parts well for them is really dry....probably an indicator of how long they really do last.

No offense but a 140 amp 120volt machine welded 90% of my splitter. Ripped the wedge off a few times, till I realized I was bending the end of the beam. Would have fixed it with thay same 140 amp welder, but I had it at work to get one of the guys opinions and we ended up reinforcing the wedge at work. Multi pass, preheating and good welding habits are better then a big stick welder thay few people seem to get proficient at using. Especially an ac only machine imo.
Bigger rod on a bigger welder might be faster, but it's not going to produce a better weld than a smaller welder with multiple passes that's done correctly. I'm not a welder by trade, but I get to enjoy burning some metal from time to time. I learned on a Century welder back in the 80s after first learning to push a puddle with a torch. I've been fortunate to use some nice mig and tig welders over the years, but my stuff has always been on the cheap end. I bought a used Century 250 amp AC welder from a coworker for $20 before upgrading to a brand spanking new AMCO 160 amp DC welder from amazon. It may be crap compared to a real welder, but I actually love the little thing. I normally run it on its 220v setting just to keep from tripping breakers, but since I don't run it over 120 amps, I could get by with 110 if I paced myself a little better. If it has to hold, I generally grind a bevel, lay a root with 6011, and layer in with 7014. My results aren't perfect, and aren't always petty, but they are stronger than the original material and work for my needs. Most of my welding projects involve my old 1710 tractor and firewood, or my truck and trailer for the same purpose.

My wife found that picture and said it fit me perfectly, I had to agree. Yep, I doubt I'm saving much either. Labor of love, and I love saws, trucks, trailers, equipment, the whole bit lol.
This. I've got a couple of chainsaw-related side hustles...but in reality, I'm not getting rich at them. They are merely paying for a hobby. 2022 has been expensive for me...3 new powersaws and a lathe lol.

Sean has one on his splitter pictures he posted. It's a weather proof cap with (likely) some type of mesh packed in it, like a CCV filter, to help catch any heavy dust, prevent insects from crawling in, etc.
Yep. Picture attached
Same here. Mine only comes out when I am using it, which isn't in the rain 😀
In 10-12 years my oil has always looked nice and clear - no milky appearance. It's only a potential issue if they are left out in the weather.
For the past 9 years since its been built my splitter lives out doors. Oil is just as clear as the day I filled her up. I don't actually have anywhere to put it under roof either, so that being said, it doesn't have a choice but to deal with the weather.

Attachments

• 16654230009414758368237775974252.jpg
    16654230009414758368237775974252.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
This. I've got a couple of chainsaw-related side hustles...but in reality, I'm not getting rich at them. They are merely paying for a hobby. 2022 has been expensive for me...3 new powersaws and a lathe lol.
didh you say lathe? FML... drools in three different languages...

Bigger rod on a bigger welder might be faster, but it's not going to produce a better weld than a smaller welder with multiple passes that's done correctly. I'm not a welder by trade, but I get to enjoy burning some metal from time to time. I learned on a Century welder back in the 80s after first learning to push a puddle with a torch. I've been fortunate to use some nice mig and tig welders over the years, but my stuff has always been on the cheap end. I bought a used Century 250 amp AC welder from a coworker for $20 before upgrading to a brand spanking new AMCO 160 amp DC welder from amazon. It may be crap compared to a real welder, but I actually love the little thing. I normally run it on its 220v setting just to keep from tripping breakers, but since I don't run it over 120 amps, I could get by with 110 if I paced myself a little better. If it has to hold, I generally grind a bevel, lay a root with 6011, and layer in with 7014. My results aren't perfect, and aren't always petty, but they are stronger than the original material and work for my needs. Most of my welding projects involve my old 1710 tractor and firewood, or my truck and trailer for the same purpose.

My neighbor is giving away his Ford 1500 series along with a bunch of other stuff. It is kind of scaring me to be honest. The guys has been sick for a long time and he is trying to give me a lot of his stuff and not sure how to go about it. Right now he wants to give me his old tractor and a trailer for nothing in return. I want the trailer more than the tractor to be honest because I would have more use for it. I have been mowing his lawn now for many years. I was thinking if I get the trailer and it is in nice shape I can give him a little something for it, especially if he has the title.

The other neighbor is an engineer and told me the tractor is leaking fuel on one of the cylinders or something but you really cannot go wrong with free I guess. It does not really have any implements with it. I also checked out aftermarket companies that make loaders and the two that I checked said they did not have or make one to fit the Ford 1500 series tractor. I think it is a 1520. I know for a fact he has not had it running in many years and been sitting out in the elements for a really long time now.

Yep. Picture attached

For the past 9 years since its been built my splitter lives out doors. Oil is just as clear as the day I filled her up. I don't actually have anywhere to put it under roof either, so that being said, it doesn't have a choice but to deal with the weather.

So how do you protect from the elements? Do you cover it, is it sitting under an awning etc? Sorry if you posted a picture or something that tells the story. This thread has gotten quite long, which is awesome for me by the way.

My neighbor is giving away his Ford 1500 series along with a bunch of other stuff. It is kind of scaring me to be honest. The guys has been sick for a long time and he is trying to give me a lot of his stuff and not sure how to go about it. Right now he wants to give me his old tractor and a trailer for nothing in return. I want the trailer more than the tractor to be honest because I would have more use for it. I have been mowing his lawn now for many years. I was thinking if I get the trailer and it is in nice shape I can give him a little something for it, especially if he has the title.

The other neighbor is an engineer and told me the tractor is leaking fuel on one of the cylinders or something but you really cannot go wrong with free I guess. It does not really have any implements with it. I also checked out aftermarket companies that make loaders and the two that I checked said they did not have or make one to fit the Ford 1500 series tractor. I think it is a 1520. I know for a fact he has not had it running in many years and been sitting out in the elements for a really long time now.
First I would like to say, It was nice of you to mow your older neighbors yard for him! I'm sure you never expected anything in return for doing it, Just doing what you thought was right! Very commendable!

Secondly: If the Tractor is Diesel? There are a lot of things that can leak on one and most of them are not hard to fix or all that expensive. I have a Ford 5000 Diesel Tractor with a set of forks for moving heavy stuff around here, Anyway I was a heavy equipment/diesel mechanic for 30 years. There are steel lines going from the injection pump to each cylinder and are usually anchored to the engine in a few places and clamped together with a steel clamping plate. These tend to vibrate a lot and can develop cracks. There is also always a return fuel line that goes back to the tank and it usually but not always is steel but has a short rubber line too a lot of times and these get old and leak. And lastly you have a suction fuel supply line coming from the tank that may or may not be steel too but also has a short rubber piece connecting it to the filter assy most of the time, Anyway, This line has no pressure, But can develop an air leak when they get old, Usually the engine will either run rough, idle a little faster or not run at all. There are sometimes short rubber hoses at the injector nozzles also for the return line but not always. Hope this info has helped you, It really isn't all that hard to find and repair a leak. I have brazed the steel lines in the past too, It will last a while but may crack again.

First I would like to say, It was nice of you to mow your older neighbors yard for him! I'm sure you never expected anything in return for doing it, Just doing what you thought was right! Very commendable!

I am not that noble, my father maybe but I, no. I would like to think he rubbed off on me a little but my father was always a more generous person than myself. Anyway I started mowing the neighbors lawn when I was 15, I am now 33. It quickly turned into a business because of the hard working ethic my father passed onto me. I started out on his little Craftsman riding tractor and quickly upgraded to a Craftsman zero turn that could have actually been a worse machine. However, after stepping up to the Ferris there is no going back on that. It holds up much, much better, you can mow much faster on it and be comfortable while doing it. Never turning back. Even if I stop mowing other peoples lawns I will always have a commercial unit like this one to do my own.
Secondly: If the Tractor is Diesel?

Yes, this will be my first diesel engine though. I was told to get it. That it had a Shibaura diesel that is nearly indestructible and no electronics to cause further complications. It would be nice if I could find a loader for it though. I was also told that if I could find a loader for it I would pay an arm and a leg. Especially since I cannot find a third party manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back