Buying an electric sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiloFrance

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Although at times I quite enjoy it (quite therapeutic like hand building bicycle wheels) sharpening a chain by hand is sometimes more than I want to do. Until now I've taken it to our local place who have done a fairly good job. The staff in the shop have now changed. Time to get an electric sharpener and do it by hand and when I get the urge...

Attachments

• 20200705_184421.jpg
    20200705_184421.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Lying in bed researching. Found a tecomec midi jolly on a deal I can cope with. Going to look around town tomorrow, up to 80€. If I don't see anything that I like I think the midi wins at 150 (payment over 4 months). Hopefully that sounds reasonable...

bd3a25c0df3c32be93a0556ece3afba9.jpg

The Tecomec Midi Jolly is a decent quality, but smaller sized, and lower powered grinder. Selling for $110 (eBay) to $150 (Bailey's ) over here.

I prefer the full sized grinders, with the larger motors. The basic, full-sized Tecomec goes for $200 here (eBay).

If you go with the smaller one, that is probably a good choice. Also check out the small Oregon grinder - limited power and adjustments, but lower cost.

Philbert

I believe that I am sorted for the moment! Two words in French for sharpen so I changed my search criteria to the less used word, and a Tecomec mini came up for €20. Only an hour away, 2 chains in the box as well. Thank you all for the advice, I'm not a heavy user, I should think it will barely get used once a week. As a last note on the shop sharpening they also manage to do all the teeth slightly differently and overheat some.

Attachments

• 20200707_184113.jpg
    20200707_184113.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20200707_184034.jpg
    20200707_184034.jpg
    954.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200707_184028.jpg
    20200707_184028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200707_183753.jpg
    20200707_183753.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
That’s a good price. Good choice!

I had good luck with the Oregon 511 grinders - first an early reversible motor version and a later non-reversible. I used these for many years. Profile the wheel well and grind cautiously, and you will be happy with the results.

You may also find that the grinder works best to even things up every few hand sharpening. That is what I discovered, particularly as my hand sharpening got better.

After a time I took a different approach, focusing on not rocking my chains. Short bars, plunge cuts, keeping the tip out of the dirt. Made a lot of difference. I went to all hand sharpening almost 10 years ago now and it works for how little I cut anymore. At that same point I also realized that it wasn’t worth my time to fix loops that get banged up too badly, so I just give those away on CL, since time is the resource that I most lack.

Now if I could find a gently used square grinder at a good price I would be back in the grinder game for sure!

Congratulations!

Take your time and experiment on some 'scrap chains' before sharpening you good ones. See what small changes in the settings do to the cutters. Take a chain that you like and try to 'copy' those angles, without looking at the numbers on the machine, and compare that to some cutters that you ground according to the numbers.

Intentionally try to overheat some cutters, then work backwards to see how to prevent that (you can usually grind through those 'burned' cutters if it happens accidentally.

Many of the tips in this thread will also apply to your grinder, even though it is a different model:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/511a-grinder-improvements-tweaks.197073/

Philbert

I had good luck with the Oregon 511 grinders - first an early reversible motor version and a later non-reversible. I used these for many years. Profile the wheel well and grind cautiously, and you will be happy with the results.
Oregon 511a is reversible, but you have to do a bit of wiring... Somewhere I did a diagram on how to do it. Years ago... a DPDT switch.
They probably think it is unwise to be shooting sparks at the operator. Whimper, getting outta bed isn't safe! But the chain comes out MUCH nicer.
I am disappointed that the Stihl USG that I have at the store is hard wired in the motor, and I can't easily access the connections to reverse it.

Back