Buying first new saw, need opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Stihl 270 would be fine but it may be over your budget. That 346 is a screamer but after the muffler tax, it would be $500+.

There is a nice looking 361 in our classifieds, $475, a 60cc for firewood is nice.

Muffler tax? Never seen it myself. I just left my local dealer 1/2 an hour ago. He had 2 NE346's on the wall. Non-cat mufflers for $499 out the door. Can't go wrong with one of these saws. Great firewood saw. Easy on gas.

Looks like a good price on that 361 in the classifieds. That would also make a great firewood saw.

the 359 does look pretty good, but its more expensive and heavier than the 346xp. Honestly the MS250 I used didn't do to bad for me last year so I think the 346XP would be more than enough saw for me?

Although the 359 is more powerful and lighter than the Stihl MS290

My father in law has a ported MS260 pro and it does rip through logs really well. I have considered that as well but I know they are pricey.

If I got the 346XP I am assuming I DO NOT want the e-tech version?

I've owned both the 260pro and the NE346. The 260 is a real nice saw but, the NE346 is definately the better of the two here. Consider that it puts out 1/2 hp more than the 260pro for probably the same price(if not less), then it's a no brainer.

If anything, stick with what you're local dealer sells. You'll be better off by doing that.

Muffler tax? Never seen it myself. I just left my local dealer 1/2 an hour ago. He had 2 NE346's on the wall. Non-cat mufflers for $499 out the door. Can't go wrong with one of these saws. Great firewood saw. Easy on gas.

Looks like a good price on that 361 in the classifieds. That would also make a great firewood saw.

I bought a 18" 346xp NE non E-Tech this afternoon for $439.95 + tax. Dealer had another one on display. I was perfectly happy with my Husqvarna 141 until I found this site. I'm not sure what happened...:confused:

The 260 is small for one saw firewooding. It can be done. I've done just that for a few years. Once you get into the bigger stuff you'll want/need more saw. Get a 361.

The 260 is small for one saw firewooding. It can be done. I've done just that for a few years. Once you get into the bigger stuff you'll want/need more saw. Get a 361.

I guess that depends on where you're located and what you're cutting...I'm not not trying to be a smart a$$ either. I am a huuuuuge fan of the 361, but he was worried about cost and I'm fairly sure a 260 would suit his needs.

Why hasn't anyone recomended a husqvarna 353. More than enough saw for his amount of cutting ("I will only be cutting about 8 cord again this year...") and it fits right in his price range! It is a pro built saw just a little less hot than the 346XP. The best bang for the buck I believe.
But as you see AS is in it's typical frenzy everyone trying to show you the next ... the better... that you just have to buy.

Well good luck

Last edited:
Why hasn't anyone recomended a husqvarna 353. More than enough saw for his amount of cutting ("I will only be cutting about 8 cord again this year...") and it fits right in his price range! It is a pro built saw just a little less hot than the 346XP. The best bang for the buck I believe.
But as you see AS is in it's typical frenzy everyone trying to show you the next ... the better... that you just have to buy.

Well good luck

Right - problem is that the 5100S off much more bang for about the same buck.....

...but the 353 is a better-handling saw in the woods (like the 346xp).

I'd take the 346xp over both despite the price difference, but that's just me...:)

Right - problem is that the 5100S off much more bang for about the same buck.....

...but the 353 is a better-handling saw in the woods (like the 346xp).

I'd take the 346xp over both despite the price difference (much more here than in the US), but that's just me...:)

I would to infact I actually got the Makita/Dolmar 5001. But as far as I understood he wanted to stay with the local dealer who was Husqvarna/Stihl only. I only believe that the speed gain is not that high for his amount of sawing.
That was the reasoning behind my recomondation.

Another vote for the 260 Pro here. Just picked a new one up this week and heading out to cut wood. Now, bought it more as a limbing saw than anything else. Know it will work great if used just for firewood. But that leaves the door open to buying another saw in the future!!!!! :help:

Around here, 260Pro,475-490; 361,570-575; xp346, Husky dealers hard to find.

Which brings me to a question: what does your Stihl/Husky dealer say about these saws? Price, performance, service, reliability, resale/trade-in, etc.

Of the three referenced, all fine saws. I just wouldn't let a few dollars get in the way if your planning on using the saw for a number of years. Better to get what you want now and not look back. So once you make your decision, quit reading these posts! (My two cents)

Last edited:
Another vote for the 260 Pro here. Just picked a new one up this week and heading out to cut wood. Now, bought it more as a limbing saw than anything else. Know it will work great if used just for firewood. But that leaves the door open to buying another saw in the future!!!!! :help:

Around here, 260Pro,475-490; 361,570-575; xp346, Husky dealers hard to find.

Which brings me to a question: what does your Stihl/Husky dealer say about these saws? Price, performance, service, reliability, resale/trade-in, etc.

Of the three referenced, all fine saws. I just wouldn't let a few dollars get in the way if your planning on using the saw for a number of years. Better to get what you want now and not look back. So once you make your decision, quit reading these posts! (My two cents)

Exactly what I asked my local Stihl/Husky dealer. Just so happens to be a good friend as well. Both he AND his mechanic chose the NE346 as there top saw in the 50cc class. They both chose to own one of these beauties. As a former "Stihl fan" I must admit, the NE346XP is a superior saw. IT JUST IS!!!!!! Stick with the local dealer/support.

Ok, no one has said it yet. You know you all want to so all together now----Wild Thing----You make my heart sing------You'll cut anything-----Got to just love them wild colors too.

It's a joke Bark. The MS310 is a good farm/ranch saw but a bit on the heavy side for some.

its about as close as you can get to a joke if you cut 8 cord a year and cant "bear" the weight of a farmboss LOL i run my 310 4-6 hours a day and cut roughly 100 cord a year. full cords.:chainsaw:

its about as close as you can get to a joke if you cut 8 cord a year and cant "bear" the weight of a farmboss LOL i run my 310 4-6 hours a day and cut roughly 100 cord a year. full cords.:chainsaw:
I said it was heavy for some(not me) besides look at my sig and you will see my big saw for now anyway is a Shinny 577. And the joke I was talking about was the Wild Child above.

Latest posts

Back