Buying first new saw, need opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its actually nicer having a little heavier saw for firewood, pulls through the wood with less effort. and its a nice upper body workout.

I would to infact I actually got the Makita/Dolmar 5001. But as far as I understood he wanted to stay with the local dealer who was Husqvarna/Stihl only. I only believe that the speed gain is not that high for his amount of sawing.
That was the reasoning behind my recomondation.

Sure, I understand, no problem - but I think he needs more saw......:).

I have a 353, but both the NE346xp and the 5100S is much more saw, even though it beats an 026/260.....

My 353 is a "loaner" saw now, but it still is a good saw. :)

Last edited:
Sure, I understand, no problem - but I think he needs more saw......:).

I have a 353, but both the NE346xp and the 5100S is much more saw, even though it beats an 026/260.....

My 353 is a "loaner" saw now, but it still is a good saw. :)

Don't we all need more saw! ;)

Last edited:
Pretty sure I am just going to spend the extra coin and get the 346xp. Thanks for all the help

I've held both and the 346xp feels better to me and from what everyone here says the 346 will flat out smoke a 260.

I've held both and the 346xp feels better to me and from what everyone here says the 346 will flat out smoke a 260.

:agree2::agree2::agree2: Listen my friend. Look at my sig. As you can see I have owned and used both the 260pro and now the NE346XP. The Husky IS a the better of the two. I've put countless hours on both of these and I'll tell you from actual experience, buy the 346 if you want the most bang for your buck.

I'm not going to steer you wrong and look at things with a biased opinion as some others obviously do. I have run primarily Stihl saws all my life and they are good saws but, in this case I have to admit, running both saws side by side, the Husky is without a doubt the superior saw here. Oh, and my best friend who is a logger agrees as well as he got to run these side by side and agreed. (A diehard Stihl man by the way) Look, it's simple. Both 50 cc saws. Both wearing 18" bars. The 260 rates at 3.2 hp, the Husky rates at 3.7 hp. Both out the door around $500 bucks. What saw would you want to blow that much money on? Just go get it and let the smiling begin!:cheers:

Yes I plan on getting the 346xp. My father in law has a ported 260 pro that he uses most of the time (also has a 361). I will have to let him try out the 346xp when I get it so he can compare it to the ported 260

Last year was my first time ever using a saw, I cut up about 7-8 cords of wood using an MS250 that I borrowed from my stepfather. This year I am going to purchase a new saw for myself. I want something with more power than the MS250 but nothing too big. I am looking to spend $350-400 for a new saw. I want an 18" bar. I have been looking at some models like the MS280 and MS 290, as well as the Husky 346XP. Also looked at the Husky rancher (355 I think)?

I will only be cutting about 8 cord again this year, so I am definetly not a hardcore logger or anything.......

So what saw should I get? My dealer next door sells both Stihl and Husky.

I'm no expert, but my new MS 280 is a nice saw, but I've only used it two times in the 2 weeks I've owned it.

I was in the same boat just recently. I bought the CS-400 from Echo, and I love it. 40CC and lots of power, I beefed up the chain and bar with an Oregon bar and chain and love it. I was looking at the Husky as well and glad I did not buy it. I was talking to a friend and he bought 345 and had a couple of issues so far. I would recommend the Echo, 5 year warranty is great.

I have used a MS 280 for the past 5 years. It's a great little saw. Strong and reliable. My only complaint was very hardwood over 14" or so takes more work then I like but everything else it is perfect for. I picked up a 441 for the big stuff.

I have used a MS 280 for the past 5 years. It's a great little saw. Strong and reliable. My only complaint was very hardwood over 14" or so takes more work then I like but everything else it is perfect for. I picked up a 441 for the big stuff.

What is the largest tree you've cut with your MS 280?

I have cut a 24"+ solid Oak with it. As long as it's sharp it will do it OK. It boggs a little if you take it too fast. Trouble is after you get through one cut of that size you have to cool it down and rest it is not a fast operation. Since I have a fair number of trees of that diameter or more on my property I bought a 441 which has no problem handling that size.

Well guys I guess my search is over, for now. Was still trying to decide which saw I wanted, had it narrowed to 260 Pro, 346xp, and 361. Went to the dealer again to look them over and I happened to ask if they had any good used saws. They said they had a used 361 that was about a year and a half old. Runs great, everything works on it. Has an 18" bar. I got it for $325. Seemed like a good deal to me.

361.jpg

Back