Buying log length now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was thinking on buying a load of log length wood to cut for firewood right now. Is this a bad idea, as the wood will probably be dirty? Or will I be alright?
Thanks

Cut for firewood to burn this winter, you mean? I would say that is a bad idea as the logs you get will almost certainly be green and freshly cut and still have quite a bit of moisture in them.

Great idea to buy now to work up for next year's wood supply, but even still I would wait until November/December to get a load as the moisture will be at it's lowest point in the year and start bucking and splitting from there.

Not sure what you mean by dirty?

I'm sure plenty will chime in...

Cut for firewood to burn this winter, you mean? I would say that is a bad idea as the logs you get will almost certainly be green and freshly cut and still have quite a bit of moisture in them.

Great idea to buy now to work up for next year's wood supply, but even still I would wait until November/December to get a load as the moisture will be at it's lowest point in the year and start bucking and splitting from there.

Not sure what you mean by dirty?

I'm sure plenty will chime in...

No I do not plan on burning them this year. I was just trying to get ahead start for next year. As far as the dirt, I mean how dirty the logs will get from being dragged out by the skidder.
Thanks

I would think any time outside of snowy/icy conditions would warrant some dirt on the logs from skidding, but it really wouldn't be dirty on the entire log. Especially if it's grapple skidder; mostly just the tail end that was dragging the ground and it shouldn't be that bad unless they're skidding through gravel/dirt for some reason. Even a cable skidder should do a decent job of keeping the logs relatively clean in most conditions outside of a mud pit, but I guess it just depends on location and the weather that day.

Not sure where you are in CA. What kinda wood do you have in your area to buy log length?

I usually get beech, red oak, Hard maple, ash, ironwood. Just depends where they are cutting,

If you can get a load of tree length delivered, by all means grab it. It may cost you some extra chain sharpening but they won't be much dirtier than any other time of the year, except in the winter on snow, and they might not be available then. Always good to get ahead, takes the pressure off. I've hosed off many a dirty log with a garden hose if they were particularly dirty.

Rain dance

If you can let the pile sit for a few months prior to processing, rain will get a lot of the skidding dirt and sand off the sticks. The real problem is the small stones and pebbles that get embedded in the bark. They tend to stay put until dislodged by an unsuspecting chain, and there's just not a whole lot you can do to avoid them.

Getting delivery in the early spring when the sap is on the rise can help. The bark is loose and each time the stick is handled by a grapple, a bunch of bark tends to slide and rip clear of the wood taking the debris with it.

Couple years ago the logger the trucker got my treelength from used a sheer and a processing head. That was some great stuff. Almost no bark and it seasoned faster than the normal loads.

If you can get it, ask how much extra for "processor grade". Processor grade, the sticks are typically 12 to 18 inches in diameter and straight as an arrow. One pass through the 4-way and your done, very little resplitting required. Wood like this stacks tightly in the bunks as opposed to tops and twisted cull trees, the cord per truckload yield tends to be higher. You may pay a little more but the flip side is you'll end up with more wood.

Take Care

Rain wont help you much, maybe the logs on top of the pile will get a little wash but for the most part the dirt that gets on the logs from skidding will be packed into the bark. Not much of it will be washed off from rain alone IMO unless there is a hurricane or monsoon with driving rain. If you have a seller willing to deliver you logs then ask him when they were cut and skidded and if they are muddy. Maybe you will get lucky and find they were skidded at the end of this last winter when the ground was still frozen (one can always hope). Otherwise, I doubt there would be much advantage in seasoning from buying them now vs December/January when the ground is frozen and they are cutting.

I purchased several loads of log wood over the past and it's one of the best things I ever did. Most of if not all the logs were cut the winter before of my purchase so most of the sap would be gone. As far as dirt in the logs.. Because they were stacked for a good part of a year,most of these logs were clean. I think I bucked up 8 to 10 cords before I took a file to my chain. I found that most of the dirt on the logs came for my property. I now try to buy 10 to 15 cords and let them sit for a year or better. Makes for some great firewood.

I purchased several loads of log wood over the past and it's one of the best things I ever did. Most of if not all the logs were cut the winter before of my purchase so most of the sap would be gone. As far as dirt in the logs.. Because they were stacked for a good part of a year,most of these logs were clean. I think I bucked up 8 to 10 cords before I took a file to my chain. I found that most of the dirt on the logs came for my property. I now try to buy 10 to 15 cords and let them sit for a year or better. Makes for some great firewood.

What chain are you using? It amazes me that you cutting 8-10 cord of wood without having to sharpen it. Sounds worthy of a world record.... for dullest chain ever. I had 12 cord of clean logs delivered at the end of last winter and I estimate I can block about a cord of wood per tank. I thought my chain seemed pretty sharp still without sharpening after the fourth tank of gas and by the 5th I decided to sharpen. All I can say is wow what a difference, it was obvious how dull it had gotten but I hadn't noticed because it was gradual. Since then I stick to a touch-up every other tank even in clean wood... Just my experience with full chisel chain.

I'm cutting ash right now and will likely burn some of it in the spring. I'll be cutting maple soon, I'll haul it home in log length and split in the spring for next years burning. I skid out using my tractor so I do get dirt in the bark. Chain usually cuts fine for at least a few cord but I have lots of chains and time to sharpen so I usually sharpen then more often. Sharp chain uses less fuel and easier on the body too. Much easier to sharpen chain than it is to man handle a saw for a few extra hours cutting. Dull chains wreck bars too.
Get the wood now, process it whenever you have time. Wood might be scarce next year or worse yet you might break a leg and wish you already had it done.

I'm cutting ash right now and will likely burn some of it in the spring. I'll be cutting maple soon, I'll haul it home in log length and split in the spring for next years burning. I skid out using my tractor so I do get dirt in the bark. Chain usually cuts fine for at least a few cord but I have lots of chains and time to sharpen so I usually sharpen then more often. Sharp chain uses less fuel and easier on the body too. Much easier to sharpen chain than it is to man handle a saw for a few extra hours cutting. Dull chains wreck bars too.
Get the wood now, process it whenever you have time. Wood might be scarce next year or worse yet you might break a leg and wish you already had it done.

Does the maple you cut now and split in the spring season well enough for burning next winter?

I usually touch up my chain every fill up unless it is cutting super good. I think it takes less time to do it before it gets dull.

ERB, I used to always cut tops from a logging operation so the tops were down at least a year already and are smaller stuff so cutting and splitting in the late fall would always be ready for burning the next heating season. Body wood might be higher moisture depending on how it's stored after splitting. I just split mine and drop it onto a conveyor that stacks it about 12' high in a windy spot. I do have a moisture tester but right now we're playing a game of hide and seek and it's winning. I used to put my wood inside my basement in early September so it dried pretty decent there too.

I usually touch up my chain every fill up unless it is cutting super good. I think it takes less time to do it before it gets dull.

I agree and if you got a dirty delivery with some trash mixed, semi chisel is your friend.

I ran that a lot last year as the log pile had a lot trash/dirt mixed in with the load.

I make sure to roll the logs to get some of it rolled off and I keep a broom handy outside to sweep some of the dirt off.

This is what I encountered today in last years log pile and that the whole delivery as I remember had a lot of debris in it.
1EF08DFB-4BC5-4A39-BE0B-D93224A297E8_zpszauxlszr.jpg

This years hardwood that's been delivered has been primo.

Back