buying my first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gouf63

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all

I know a lot of threads covered selecting chainsaws already. But finding a thread that corresponds to my need is like the needle and the hay stack.

So here is the topo. I just inherited a country cottage and will need to cut some trees. It will be on an occasional basis. Mostly evergreens (pine and spruce) under 12" diameter. So i'm thinking a "home owner" grade with a 16" or maybe even a 14" bar. That said, the possibilities are wide open. Should I go for an entry level like a poulan or invest for a higher rated brand, Any specific models you would suggest? Buy from a store or a dealer?

thx

Frank G

How long do you want it to last and how much are you willing to spend? Buy a good tool and it will last a lifetime, go cheap and you will replace it many times.

How long do you want it to last and how much are you willing to spend? Buy a good tool and it will last a lifetime, go cheap and you will replace it many times.

hi

Obviously want it to last. I think what im planning to do is pretty light work. Am I wrong? Budget : hopefully around 200$ but not set in stone if getting a better machine is needed.

thx

Frank G

Welcome to AS! Whereabouts in Canada are you? Anyway, there are a few different ways to approach this.

You can get a Poulan WoodShark from Princess Auto for about $100 and run them into the ground, though they are pretty tough, and replace as necessary. A buddy of mine does this.

Or you can try finding a used "pro" model or similar Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar or whatever, for a few hundred. Much nicer to run, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra dough.

FWIW, I have a BIL that abuses and neglects most all his tools, yet he has a couple of MS170 saws that seem to never give up on him. It's a cheap little saw but if you're inclined to go this route, wait for when Stihl includes the case and an extra chain all for $199, as you're basically getting the saw, new with warranty, for for just over 100 bucks.

Good luck! :msp_smile:

Last edited:
ms 170,,, 179.00

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Sr4oqOVyjfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would be trying to get a used pro saw vs a new homeowner saw. I think a Husqvarna 346 with a 18" bar would be perfect for what you're doing.

My hockey coach this year has had the same poulan wood shark for 15 years and he says that it still runs great. If you take care of your equipment, most anything will last.

spend your money on a quality saw that being said I would definitely buy from a dealer find a good one with a decent selection of used saws, depending on whats local good bets would be 021, 023,024,025,026 these are stihls, 44, 50, 51 husky all are good models and should do what it sounds like you need to do nicely, many other models between 40-50cc range can't name them all but by all means if this is your first saw it would be best to buy from a good dealer dealer support can at times mean finishing what you started the same day instead of getting to finish some time next week.

Just my 2 cents

now heres another option,,echo cs-352,, it only weights in at about 9 lbs fully loaded and its a fun little saw to run

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uEw7ffQySqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Welcome to AS! Whereabouts in Canada are you? Anyway, there are a few different ways to approach this.

You can get a Poulan WoodShark from Princess Auto for about $100 and run them into the ground, though they are pretty tough, and replace as necessary. A buddy of mine does this.

Or you can try finding a used "pro" model or similar Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar or whatever, for a few hundred. Much nicer to run, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra dough.

FWIW, I have a BIL that abuses and neglects most all his tools, yet he has a couple of MS170 saws that seem to never give up on him. It's a cheap little saw but if you're inclined to go this route, wait for when Stihl includes the case and an extra chain all for $199, as you're basically getting the saw, new with warranty, for for just over 100 bucks.

Good luck! :msp_smile:

im in Quebec City

had to google Princess Auto. closest one in Ottawa. Pretty far away.

brings another question. Refurbs?

If you want to get a homeowner saw get the husqvarna 435 referb. Someone can point you to the website that sells them. $190 IIRC

Aside from recommending a MS 250...as you'll probably never hear from the 'newbie' again..!

Like...whatever happened to Husky 550 dude with the strangely scored cylinder...??

It's been a week or 10 days..and NO reply back as to what Husky and owner settled on..??
- - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - -- -- -- - -
I just get irritated when 'newbies' come to site and ask questions..get answers..then just gone.

Now...nothing against this dude...but Just Sayin'...it just happens too often...soo some chose to not reply.
(it only takes a minute to just post a .."thank you" for replies)

And....Blame 'Fish' for this post...I basically only did the typing..
:cheers:
J2F

Aside from recommending a MS 250...as you'll probably never hear from the 'newbie' again..!

Like...whatever happened to Husky 550 dude with the strangely scored cylinder...??

It's been a week or 10 days..and NO reply back as to what Husky and owner settled on..??
- - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - -- -- -- - -
I just get irritated when 'newbies' come to site and ask questions..get answers..then just gone.

Now...nothing against this dude...but Just Sayin'...it just happens too often...soo some chose to not reply.
(it only takes a minute to just post a .."thank you" for replies)

And....Blame 'Fish' for this post...I basically only did the typing..
:cheers:
J2F

560 or 550?? After he took it apart i'm sure Husky told him to get lost.

Latest posts

Back